PDA

View Full Version : I met Michelle! :D

juliet831
July 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
**EDIT** Full details below!!
Also, I put the pictures on Photobucket so hopefully you can see them now.

Hey guys, I got to meet Michelle!
I was visiting my stepdad in Los Angeles and he took me to Lake Arrowhead to meet Michelle on the 24th of last December. She was actually practicing for the Nationals and I got to see her Bolero a couple of times. Here are some pictures I took with her.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/lchavit/MK1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/lchavit/MK4.jpg

She also signed a photo I had taken of her from 1999 Champions on Ice in Orlando.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/lchavit/MKsig.jpg

I was really star struck and could hardly get any words out. But she really very sweet to my family and I and she even said a few words for our videocamera :)

handlem9z
July 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Juliet:

Congrats on your MK encounter. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Both of you have very pretty smiles :D

SGuntur
July 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Great pics Juliet! Tell us more. Details pleaaase!:p Was Rafael there with her? Did she do a complete run-through of Bolero? What else did she say to you? What did she say for your video camera? I thought her practice sessions were closed off to public? How come you got to see?

kwanette
July 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM
Juliet, How nice...Love the pics..Thanks for sharing with us!

TwinnerA
July 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM
I can't see the photos. Boo hoo.

Heather
July 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Cool story! Though I can't see the pictures either :(

You should upload the video. :)

vive_la_reine
July 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
I can't see the photos either. Nice story, though. Thanks! :D

chipso1
July 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
I can't see them either. . . .:(

Aslan's Girl
July 1st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Cool, cool, cool... jealous, jealous, jealous, lol :lol

CONGRATS! And thanks so much for sharing! Gorgeous pics!

ETA: to those who can't see the pics, right click on the red X and select "Show Picture". Worked for me.

michellesmom
July 1st, 2005, 06:32 PM
"Show pictures" didn't work for me.

Dave
July 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
I think they are not showing as the this is a geocities site and she has exceeded daily limitations. I copied and pasted the url from properties and saw this, tomorrow I'm sure they are back for the first people to catch it. It doesn't take many visits to a geocities site to exceed daily limit.

vive_la_reine
July 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
I can see them now! Wonderful pictures. Thanks! :D

Eeyora
July 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM
I can't see them. But you are so lucky.

lavender
July 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM
Oops...didn't read the whole thread.

SGuntur
July 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
deleted due to double posting

SGuntur
July 2nd, 2005, 03:30 AM
She was actually practicing for the Nationals and I got to see her Bolero a couple of times.

"I got to see her Bolero a COUPLE of times"
I assumed that she did a run-through. Having never been to a skater's practice session at a competetion or at their practice rink, I wondered how they practice their routine. Do they do run-through's as the competition nears, do they just practice portions of their performance, do they practice jumps independent of the performance? Just curious.
Was there something wrong in asking that question? :o

Rebecca
July 2nd, 2005, 05:33 AM
I can't see the pics...but congrats on meeting her that had to be an awesome experience.

MFarone
July 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM
SGuntur2004 nothing wrong with asking. At Nationals practice skaters work on various elements - spins, footwork, jumps and then their music is played once during the practice. Michelle usually does a runthrough with her music. Sometimes skaters don't show up for practices and I've seen Michelle do her runthrough during a time set aside for a skater who is absent. From watching Miki Ando at Winterhurst I've discovered that she starts and stops her music and usually does do a only a partial runthrough (course it's early in the season). I do remember something about Michelle doing double runthroughs prior to Nationals - maybe something that mzheng posted.

Maureen

Heather
July 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Yea, I can finally see the pictures. :)

I remember that COI pic! I had it saved. ;)

XPEG
July 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Do you need to special photo viewer to see the pictures? Can't get them to appear on my computer at all.

juliet831
July 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the mess with geocities. The pictures are now on photobucket so I'm hoping that problem is resolved.

And about details, sorry I was kind of vague on it. It was a pretty long encounter actually. When we got to Lake Arrowhead, my family was kind of playing it by ear. I had no idea the practice sessions were closed off. But my stepdad actually got the information about Michelle's practice from a client he was working with (my stepdad's a civil engineer). He was building a house for a family who's son was also a figure skater and a good friend of Michelle's so my stepdad was about talk to his father, and I think the son too, I'm not sure. He was told she would be practicing around 10-11 and again from 1-3 in the afternoon on the 24th. My stepdad just explained that story to the guy in the front office and he just let us in.

We just sat around for a while watching her practice and yes Rafael was there too. Michelle did the Bolero routine at different times and my mom was told that videocameras were not allowed but she whipped it out anyway, lol. I was kind of embarassed because people kept looking at us and Michelle kept glancing over at us. While she was practicing we noticed she stopped a lot along the right wall to talk to two women who were sitting, watching her. My stepdad went over to talk to them because he wanted me to be get to talk to Michelle and he figured he could ask them the best way to do that :). It turns out the one of the women was Rafael's wife and my stepdad explained that he drove us there because I was a huge fan of Michelle's and I was there to meet her. Rafael's wife told him that she would tell Michelle to come over and talk to us after the practice.

She only did a complete runthrough of Bolero only twice. I was able to catch the end of her Spartacus too. She stopped often and talked to some of the kids who were practicing there too. One girl even went up to her to give her a christmas present. When she finished with her practice she went off the ice and my parents stopped her and talked to her. (My mom actually embarassed me a little by asking her if she remembered me from when she was on tour with COI in 1999 in orlando). She said no but I went over there anyway and told her that she was a huge inspiration to me and I thought she was wonderful. She smiled and gave me a hug :) She also asked how old I was and we talked for a little bit about my visit to LA and how I had gone to see her when she was in Orlando at COI. I asked Michelle if we could take a few pictures with us. My mom had the video camera on and Michelle waved into it and said "Hi, everyone. Merry Christmas!" We told her good luck in Nationals and she left to get ready to leave.

Turns out I had forgotten to have her sign my autograph so when she came back out from the back room, I asked her to sign the picture but she had to go to her car to take care of some stuff. When she went outside I thought she wasn't going to come back because she took a while but she did come back and she signed the picture. Actually, when she saw the picture she was surprised. She said "Oh my God, where was this from?" She also commented on her hair, lol. We told her Merry Christmas and she had to finally leave. It turns out she was parked next to us so when we left the rink we saw her pull out and we were waving at her, shouting goodbye like crazy people.

Rafael's wife came out of the skating rink and asked if we were able to get Michelle's autograph. She was really nice. I would've liked to get to talk to her coach but I'm really glad I was able to talk to Michelle! It was actually all quite magical (Hey, gimmie a break I'm a HUGE Michelle Kwan fan :D).

Also, about that video, I have to get it from my mom's house but as soon as I do, I'm putting it up :)

TwinnerA
July 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Finally I can see the photos. They are great. Thanks so much for switching to Photobucket. That Geocities thing never seems to work well. Look forward to seeing the video as well!

Eeyora
July 2nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Now I can see the photo's they're awsome. Glad to hear of your wonderful experience.

rubyred
July 3rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
Thank you, Juliet for sharing the photos and your exciting encounter with Michelle! :)

SGuntur
July 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Juliet, I totally enjoyed reading about your encounter with Michelle. Every bit of it!! lol on your mom asking Michelle if she remembered you from COI 99!
Thanks again for the pictures and the report.

PS - MFarone, thank you the info on practice sessions :)

skatesindreams
July 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM
That was a wonderful ""encounter"! Yet another example of how gracious Michelle is with her "public".

Those pictures are great, Thank you for sharing them,

Krista
July 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Awesome story and photos, thanks for sharing! :)

Julie
March 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
WOW! I wish that could have been me. Julie

wunderbere
March 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Juliet,

I'm happy you got to meet Michelle! I'm a little confused though. Are you sure about the date? I'm wondering, because I saw Michelle practicing on Christmas Eve at the East-West Palace in Artesia. Her dad was watching her practice. Maybe she practiced at both places on the same day?

michelle02olympics
March 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
whoa, this super old post.

Louise1991
March 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Juliet,

I'm happy you got to meet Michelle! I'm a little confused though. Are you sure about the date? I'm wondering, because I saw Michelle practicing on Christmas Eve at the East-West Palace in Artesia. Her dad was watching her practice. Maybe she practiced at both places on the same day?
i think the poster was talking about Dec. 2004. she posted this in July of 2005 and talks about last December and watching Bolero:
he took me to Lake Arrowhead to meet Michelle on the 24th of last December. She was actually practicing for the Nationals and I got to see her Bolero a couple of times. E-W Ice Palace didn't open until summer of 2005, right? the photos are definitely Lake Arrowhead, comparing to what i've seen in all the fluff bits.

Dante
March 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Gosh, I was so totally confused reading this. I couldn't figure out why in the world she would have been practicing Bolero. :lol

redvispa
March 4th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I agree that this is an interesting story -- but WHY was it pulled up from the the old pages??

jlim0385
March 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Hey guys, sorry about the mess with geocities. The pictures are now on photobucket so I'm hoping that problem is resolved.

And about details, sorry I was kind of vague on it. It was a pretty long encounter actually. When we got to Lake Arrowhead, my family was kind of playing it by ear. I had no idea the practice sessions were closed off. But my stepdad actually got the information about Michelle's practice from a client he was working with (my stepdad's a civil engineer). He was building a house for a family who's son was also a figure skater and a good friend of Michelle's so my stepdad was about talk to his father, and I think the son too, I'm not sure. He was told she would be practicing around 10-11 and again from 1-3 in the afternoon on the 24th. My stepdad just explained that story to the guy in the front office and he just let us in.

We just sat around for a while watching her practice and yes Rafael was there too. Michelle did the Bolero routine at different times and my mom was told that videocameras were not allowed but she whipped it out anyway, lol. I was kind of embarassed because people kept looking at us and Michelle kept glancing over at us. While she was practicing we noticed she stopped a lot along the right wall to talk to two women who were sitting, watching her. My stepdad went over to talk to them because he wanted me to be get to talk to Michelle and he figured he could ask them the best way to do that :). It turns out the one of the women was Rafael's wife and my stepdad explained that he drove us there because I was a huge fan of Michelle's and I was there to meet her. Rafael's wife told him that she would tell Michelle to come over and talk to us after the practice.

She only did a complete runthrough of Bolero only twice. I was able to catch the end of her Spartacus too. She stopped often and talked to some of the kids who were practicing there too. One girl even went up to her to give her a christmas present. When she finished with her practice she went off the ice and my parents stopped her and talked to her. (My mom actually embarassed me a little by asking her if she remembered me from when she was on tour with COI in 1999 in orlando). She said no but I went over there anyway and told her that she was a huge inspiration to me and I thought she was wonderful. She smiled and gave me a hug :) She also asked how old I was and we talked for a little bit about my visit to LA and how I had gone to see her when she was in Orlando at COI. I asked Michelle if we could take a few pictures with us. My mom had the video camera on and Michelle waved into it and said "Hi, everyone. Merry Christmas!" We told her good luck in Nationals and she left to get ready to leave.

Turns out I had forgotten to have her sign my autograph so when she came back out from the back room, I asked her to sign the picture but she had to go to her car to take care of some stuff. When she went outside I thought she wasn't going to come back because she took a while but she did come back and she signed the picture. Actually, when she saw the picture she was surprised. She said "Oh my God, where was this from?" She also commented on her hair, lol. We told her Merry Christmas and she had to finally leave. It turns out she was parked next to us so when we left the rink we saw her pull out and we were waving at her, shouting goodbye like crazy people.

Rafael's wife came out of the skating rink and asked if we were able to get Michelle's autograph. She was really nice. I would've liked to get to talk to her coach but I'm really glad I was able to talk to Michelle! It was actually all quite magical (Hey, gimmie a break I'm a HUGE Michelle Kwan fan :D).

Also, about that video, I have to get it from my mom's house but as soon as I do, I'm putting it up :)

OMG. THAT IS AWESOME!! congrats!! i'm totally jealous but VERY happy for you!!!!!

wunderbere
March 4th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Oh, now it makes sense. I totally thought it was a new story....

tai kwan
March 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
This is why we love Michelle....she is so giving, the emotional connection to all, on the ice and off. The spiritual muse of skating. Juliet - you are so lucky, but then, so are we because you shared your wonderful good fortune. Every encounter consistently confirms the wonderful person that Michelle is.
I thank you, Juliet, for sharing
and I thank the stars that I am living in the age of Michelle Kwan.

dec5
March 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Wow!!! Congrats!!!! Thanks for the pictures and sharing your story!!!
And welcome to MKF! :D

michelle2006
March 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
this is the stupidest question ever-but what did Rafael's wife look like?

Ok, that was so dumb of me.

Cha7
March 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Wow. Cool photo. I hope my COI experience turns out that well.

gatzbee
March 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM
omygod, what a great encounter! thanks for sharing :)

Nsidedge
March 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Juliet:

Thanks for sharing this encounter! How awesome of your stepdad to be so gungho for you and get you in there. He must be special. Michelle seems so down to earth from what you said about her. I bet that made your day! Maybe one day I will have the chance to meet her.

electrictroy
March 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I was visiting my stepdad in Los Angeles and he took me to Lake Arrowhead to meet Michelle on the 24th of last December.

So, how does that work? You just walked into the arena & introduced yourself to Michelle? Or was this some kind of pre-planned event for the fans?

(just curious)

Kabooke
March 9th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Oh, now it makes sense. I totally thought it was a new story....

As did I until i saw Bolero.

Great story though!

Thanks for sharing Juliet and how nice it
was of your stepdad to take you up
to see her and you actually got to
meet and talk to her.

This is why we love Michelle....she is so giving

So true.
Especially considering that she was hard
at work and training for nationals.

Took the time out to visit with a fan.

MK Simply Stunning