PDA

View Full Version : Is Kwan unbeatable with COP improvements?

Nathan
August 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Now assuming Michelle makes all the changes she needs to make:
*difficult spin variations
*interesting and full choreography
*CoP friendly elements.
*Difficult jumping combo's and passes.
*High level spiral sections
*High level FW
*Innovative transitions, and various MITF.

Will anyone be able to beat her? It seems the only thing holding Michelle back is Michelle. I haven't even addressed the fact that she will combine her usual artistry and passion with these other changes.

I know it's a big IF to see if all those changes will be addressed in time, but can a CoP friendly Michelle beaten?

I think if Michelle makes all those changes the only skaters that even stands a chance is Shizuka...maybe Irina.

It's all in Michelle's hands...

vixen62025
August 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM
The truth is, no matter who and no matter how prepared and CoP friendly someone's programs are... no one is unbeatable. Between the mysteries of the PCS (a.k.a. shady judging), unforseen last minute equipment or health issues, or a just plain poor skate, anything can happen to anybody be it the Kween, Irina, Shizza, Sasha, Caro, Joannie, Miki....

Personally I just hope MK can have some of those spine-tingling performances this season at the big competitions, even if the result may not be as we might all hope. After all, if MK can pull off one of those electrifying skates and still not win, it won't say much for CoP for me, and I am sure many, many others!

(HA! Take that Speedy!!!)

taytay165
August 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM
vixen - ITA with everything you said. I think even skaters themselves know that no one is "unbeatable". That's why they (including Michelle) have to do thir best to give each performance their all, every single time. The ice is slippery.....you never know. That said, I hope Michelle has an AWESOME season!!!!!!! I can't wait to see what she has done to adjust to COP and I too can't wait for those magical, spine-tingling performances I know she is capable of!!

Go Michelle!

- tara

attyfan
August 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Kwan is beatable, even if she does make the CoP improvements. First, it is when she is regarded as "unbeatable" that she usually loses. Second, Shizuka, Sasha, Irina and all the other skaters are going to be improving on their CoP skills, also. It will all depend on who skates best on the night in question.

lavender
August 10th, 2005, 04:01 AM
The question should be can she win with these judges making up scores to suit the placement they want.

Krista
August 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM
there's no such thing as unbeatable, but she has as good of a chance as anybody else.

aaronts
August 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM
if you mean who will will all else being equal - i'd expect Michelle to be on top. i think her skating style is still number 1 even if results haven't been so hot lately~

handlem9z
August 10th, 2005, 06:05 AM
No one is unbeatable. Thats what makes sports so exciting to watch. On any given night, someone can step up and have the performance of their life and walk away with the Gold Medal.

Right now, I'd say everyone should be saying is Irina unbeatable. She is the current World Champion and the COP judges seem to love her. I'd rather the pressure be on Irina going in to the Olympics not Michelle.

However, if anyone can make all these improvements to be COP friendly and improve in the eyes of the judges, I think Michelle is at the top of the list. IMO, she better compete in the GP Events or it will hurt her chances.

Right now, I'd say there are 7 skaters that will battle it out for the podium in Italy.

Goooooooooooo Michelle :D

Krista
August 10th, 2005, 06:06 AM
lol handlem9z, love your personal pic :lol

I agree about there being about 7 skaters who could win. the ladies field is really deep again this year.

lavender
August 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
IMO Irina is the one to beat only because the judges or federation has said so.

TAF2984
August 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
No, Irina has been the one to beat because Irina and her team took the time to really study the COP and work everything to best show her off. I completely applaud her because I see in places where Irina and her team worked to get the last tenth of a point added to her program, and all her preparation and work paid off for all of last season. She deservedly won all of her competitions.

Now going back to the thread's topic, MK has a lot of work cut out for her. She has to consult a lot of people regarding her programs and the COP. MK and her team also need to be strategically and competitively much better than last year. She can do it.

lavender
August 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I just don't feel that way...but that's just me.

MKGrace
August 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I think Michelle is unbeatable with a maxed-out COP package because she has the most artistry, presence and elegance--the complete package. But it all comes down to execution on those 2 nights.

I also agree with TAF2984 about Irina and her coach. They should be commended for the work they did this past season to beef up her programs for COP, and it paid off. Her execution wasn't always the best, but she put it all together when it counted. The Worlds short judging was a mess, but in the end I believe Irina would've won in spite of that because of the content of her LP.

JamesG
August 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I agree with TAF2984.

Irina is the one to beat, with Sasha Cohen also ready and waiting should Irina falter.

Michelle indeed has her work cut out for her.

But, Michelle will try her best and will, at the very least, skate the most beautiful program of all of the skaters.

gatzbee
August 10th, 2005, 07:43 PM
i agree that irina really learned to milk CoP for what its worth with, esp. w/ her overabundance of bielman's. can't blame her tho, cuz she's within the rules. however, at the same time, tho she DID work hard, she didn't exactly have some of the best phases at worlds. she had some good elements in her SP for example, but one of them was pretty horridly completed (final combo spin) and her 3z2t combo made it just barely. yet somehow a judge gave both mk and her a -1GOE even tho mk's was perfectly clean. yes irina learned to use the system to her advantage, but i would also inclined to believe that SOME of the judges have also learned how to use the system to THEIR advantage, propping certain skaters (and im not even specifically talking about irina now) up with things like PCS.

as for now, i'd say Irina has become the frontrunner in CoP, and Sasha in second. i really can't comment on mk cuz im not exactly sure of how much she is capable of with CoP since she's only done one CoP competition and didn't have all of the highest possible elements she could have performed.

pbluu
August 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
i agree gatzbee,

Though Irina deserved her win for the LP, she was overscored in the LP by a large margin. Didn't have the highest score for artistic or something like that? Please.

The tragedy was the SP, it was horrible. Her score should have been down for both PCS and the artistic score (i'm not familiar with the CoP lingo). Instead she came in 1st! CoP or no CoP there was just no excuses for that kind of scoring!

Look at how they scored Shizuka, considering that she has one of the mostly friendly CoP program.

Skatekwan6
August 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Michelle is unbeatable.

No one can beat her.

She is going to win Skate America, but not Cup of China because she is going to have two fluke falls, but all is well....

Because the kinks will be out...she will win the Nationals with the highest score EVER under the new scoring system...her 10th Title!!!

Then she will go to Torino and battle in out with Irina, Sasha, Shizuka, and Carolina in the BEST figure skating competition ever. After being in 3rd after the short...(a CLOSE third), Michelle win skate a PERFECT Free skate and MATCH her nationals score and WIN the GOLD Medal!

She will go to Worlds and WIN her 6th World Title.

She will NOT retire and go on to win every competition she enters in the 06-07 season, including Nationals, Worlds, and all THREE, yes THREE Grand Prix events in which she competes.

Michelle can't lose...except for that one Cup of China this upcoming season.

churchofkwan
August 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Michelle wasn't invited to SC this season. She was invited to CoC after SA and I hope she competes there. It's important for her to get the international experience. Without that GP, she most likely will miss out on any other international CoP experience before the Olympics. It will also be interesting to see little Wow Asada and all the others take on Michelle :D

iloveskating
August 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Michelle is beatable by herself (02 Olys, 05 Worlds for example) and by bad judging (98) . This is sport, anything can and WILL happen, as we have seen so many times.