PDA

View Full Version : UCLA?

shannalee80
September 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Does anyone here know if Michelle is still pursuing a degree there or is she taking some time off to train and then going back to school after the Olympics?

What was her major?

I think it is good if skaters can continue even if they can only take one or two classes a semester.

chipso1
September 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
She's taking some time off now, but has said that she wants to go back and finish her degree.

I believe her major was/is Political Science . . .

KwanPassion
September 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I thought Michelle was a psychology major??? Does anyone know for sure?

Regina29544
September 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I am pretty sure it is psychology.

uglygreekgoddess
September 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I don't think she declared a major yet...I remember reading that she was thinking of majoring in Psych. And I think she's in sophomore, maybe even freshman (?) standing and at UC's you don't need to declare until the end of sophomore year. You could just take GE's until you declare your major. On a related note, does anyone know which dorm she lived in? And how she got along with her roommate(s)? I remember reading once that she watched videos and ate popcorn often with people who lived in her dorm.

MKIcePrincess
September 11th, 2005, 08:04 AM
For the record, I heard Psychology.... but wasn't she studying a foreign language too? I thought I heard that somewhere? I could be getting that confused with someone else.

shannalee80
September 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I bet she speaks a foreign language very well because of her family. I believe it is either Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese.

michellekwanfan
September 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM
It's Cantonese. I don't know how well she speaks it since she's grown up in the U.S.

san diego guy
September 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
My friend who heard michelle speak cantonese to her parents during an awards show said that her cantonese was decent, but she didn't get to hear that much more. Anyway, it was interesting because my sister is the same age as Michelle and they both went to UCLA at the same time. My sister even saw Michelle at a dining hall and even haphazardly befriended Michelle Kwan's cousin who was also a UCLA student :lol It's a small world.

iloveskating
September 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
The last I heard, MK said she was THINKING about psych. But I don't think she's made a final decision yet.

gatzbee
September 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Michelle stayed in Rieber Hall, the room I forget lol. One guy I met at UCLA told me when I asked him if he ever met Michelle Kwan. I actually stayed in Rieber Hall for a summer, about 10 weeks. I was there to take a summer class. But yea that's where she stayed ;) It's a fairly nice dorm I think...

ExoticFlower213
September 12th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I believe I read somewhere that Michelle "was thinking" about majoring in psychology like another poster said.

And IIRC from her autobio, she said she spoke a mixture of Chinese/English at home...probably pretty good with it, then, I guess.

Although I think she'll have a ton of opportunities after skating, I hope Michelle goes back and gets her degree. She said education was a major focus in her family, and I really hope she finishes school after skating.

shadymc
September 12th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I believe she was also studying French at one point. She said something about having to conjugate French verbs one night.

attyfan
September 12th, 2005, 06:22 AM
IIRC, Phil Hersh reported that Michelle was majoring in psych and minoring in French.

kwancierto de aranjuez
September 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I stayed in Reiber Hall my freshman year. That was such an awesome experience. My floor was carrracking!

Nathan
September 12th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I'm not exactly sure how long Michelle stayed in college. And given her skating life at the time and the difficult balance of both lives it's anyones guess how commited of a student she was.

Anyone whose gone to college knows how much time and dedication went into making it work. Not only the academic work load, but the other social requirements as well.

Even though many skaters such as Corwin, Savoie and Button have completed full college degree's while maintaining their competetive status as skaters none of them had the superstar status of Kwan with the level of pressure she had(s) to endure.

And Michelle hasn't been a full time college student for 5 years. I'm guessing she might either return as a PT student and finish slowly over time, or just focus on something else all together. I give her all the credit in the world for returning if she so chosse to.

It'd be hard to convince me if I was a big celebrity, with all the money in the world to go back and write papers, and do all types of laborious readings...

(having said all that I wouldn't mind going back to get my Masters in Drama from Yale, but that wouldn't be until I was later in my 20's.)

attyfan
September 13th, 2005, 04:47 AM
As I understand it, Michelle started her first year as a full time student, but has been part time -- primarily summer school -- since then. Hence, she is (at best) close to completing her sophomore year.

bjb22
September 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
A degree in Political Science might work for her (it sure didn't for me). She is famous, successful, world traveled and well versed in the customs and pleasantries that would be involved with diplomacy and such. She'd make a good Ambassador after she retires....or an Envoy if she doesn't MIND WAR ZONES.

"Things got hot in El Salvador
CIA got caught
Couldn't do no war
She's got diplomatic immunity
She's got a lethal weapon that nobody see's
Looks like another threat to World Peace for the Envoy"

"Envoy"- Warren Zevon

Her first assignment could be "U.S. Special Envoy for China-Taiwan Disengagement". :eek

timothy d
September 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
bjb22-

Most people don't even know who Warren Zevon is.

He's been one of my favorite singers (along with Delbert McClinton and John Prine) since the 70's.

A true, underrated talent. His song writing ability was unmatched.

His musical scores were just so powerful!!

What a shame he's gone now.

Sorry about going off topic for a minute-but a true Zevon fan is extremely rare.

kwanette
September 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
Speaking of Yale, is Sarah Hughes back there?

berthesghost
September 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
She's suppose to be, but it's not like I've seen her on campus or anything.

BG, who's bracing for a season of "she's persuing higher education" fluff pieces on a skater who's not even skating.

bjb22
September 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Pru- Zevon truly did have a sound unique unto himself. IMO It was more in his voice and lyrics then the music itself. A brave Man considering the Political content of his material.

As far as sound goes IMO Mark Knophler (Dire Straits) and his guitar really rocks my world.

And this new guy Jack Johnson has some brilliant stuff.

Oh, yeah, off-topic......