PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Atlanta

GardenKitty
December 19th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I assume most of us will spend our time in Atlanta at the ice rinks and won't do too much touring, but here is a link to the city guide for Atlanta on the USA Today website that might have some useful info (including transportation tips):

www.usatoday.com/travel/d...erview.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/cityguides/atlanta/overview.htm)

Also, here is an interesting article from USA Today regarding good and/or offbeat shopping locations around Atlanta.

www.usatoday.com/travel/d...toshop.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/cityguides/atlanta/wheretoshop.htm)

sk8cynic
December 19th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting this, Garden Kitty!!

Little Five Points (L5P as its often abbreviated by the locals) and Virginia-Highlands (and the surrounding intown neighborhoods of Inman Park, Candler Park, and Decatur) all have plenty to see, do, and eat or drink. Both neighborhoods are fairly close in proximity to Philips Arena and are accessible on MARTA.

L5P (I used to live in L5P :D )

For good eats, check out The Vortex (awesome burgers and late night eats - IIRC the kitchen is open late. There's also one in the downtown area, but the one in L5P is much easier to park at), Savage Pizza (some of the best in the city IMO), and if you can stomach a real dive, check out the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club. It's a bar/restaurant that has great barbecue and fresh veggies.

Virginia Highlands - It's always jam-packed on the weekends, and parking is difficult at times, but the shops are amazing, and the food even better. Highland Tap (at the corner of Virginia Avenue and North Highland) has fabulous steaks and makes a great martini ;) ). For Thai food check out Su'Rin of Thailand on North Highland. There's another Thai restaurant across the street from Highland Tap that I prefer, but I can't remember the name :lol ). Closer to Ponce de Leon Avenue on N. Highland is Atkins Park, Atlanta's oldest bar establishment in the city (c. 1908 I think). It also has a wonderful restaurant adjoining.

Both areas have great shops that carry plenty of ecclectic clothes and odds/ends, but be sure to bring the credits cards as they can often get fairly pricey, depending on your budget.

kwanette
December 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM
-Cyn, thanks for the info...I have a feeling, though, that I will be eating a lot in the Fast Food court at the CNN Center...Not too good for my ulcer..

DaveSato
December 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM
It's a must to eat at The Varsity (http://www.thevarsity.com). It's the worlds largest Drive-In hamburger joint. It's located near Georgia Tech University.

Beth2000
December 22nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Davesato is right!!! We must eat at the Varsity. Even if your stomach can't take it at least go there just to say you have been to the Varsity :)

epoibim
December 23rd, 2003, 05:46 AM
Hmm, and at Georgia Tech could there be, I don't know, available guys at this dive?;)

*packs make-up*

DaveSato
December 23rd, 2003, 08:03 AM
Erin,
You are probably the last person to need make-up. Natural beauty.