PDA

View Full Version : Article on J.O. w/ Hands Costume Pic

Dave
January 4th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Here's a link to article on Japan Open with picture of Hands Costume: <A HREF=http://www.msnbc.com/news/353268.asp >http://www.msnbc.com/news/353268.asp </A>

Karin
January 4th, 2000, 08:00 AM
That article was the same one I read...only I read it from Yahoo!!! BUT thank you!!! Thanks for finding an article with the pic!!! That Hands costume looks pretty nice...but that colour looks kinda original??? But I have to see it on TV first!!! Sunday!!! The colour always turns out different!!! Go MK!!! But hey...she skated conservatively???

DianeO
January 4th, 2000, 08:09 AM
I'm a little puzzled by this line in the article: In the short program, Kwan skated flawlessly but with more loop jumps than technically difficult jumps like the flip and lutz. According to a post on the JO results thread, Michelle landed: 2axel, 3lutz/2toe, 3toe. None of them are loop jumps and she did land the lutz! Anyway, I found some more photos on yahoo, including one of MK in the SP. Here is the link: <A HREF=http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news_photos?p=japan%20figure%20skating&c=&n=10 >http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news_photos?p=japan%20figure%20skating&c=&n=10 </A>

Karin
January 4th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Do you think the person meant edge jumps??? I didn't understand that either!!! 2axel...3lutz/2toe...3toe from the report right???... ??? Anywayzzz...I guess from the report...in the lp...MB had the same jumps as MK except for the 3loop (and an extra 2toe???) and MK did the 3sal...??? Anywayzzz... Thanks for the pics Diane!!! Did ya find any individual pics on Hands??? :-)

Joshua
January 4th, 2000, 08:45 AM
I found that confusing as well. I thought they meant toe loop, but that still doesn't make sense because they still balance out pretty evenly. Maybe the journalist just meant she attempted more easier triples jumps than hard ones...not that that really makes a whole lot of sense either.

Jarrett
January 4th, 2000, 09:19 AM
get some people who know what the names of the jumps are. They did the same thing with Alexi Y. a while ago, saying he did 7 triple loops which makes no sense at all. :( Jarrett

ChicaRealidad
January 4th, 2000, 09:25 AM
DianeO, I think that the writer is counting the double-toe LOOP and the triple toe LOOP as being "loop" jumps. However, he's wrong in his assessment that she did too many of them. Skaters are allowed to repeat a jump twice in a program as long as one of them is in combination with another type of jump. What I think he meant to say was that she didn't perform as many edge jumps -- ie, lutz, flip, etc. It's the same old same old. Everyone thinks Michelle, with her great technique and talent, SHOULD be doing harder jumps. I agree with that. I think she needs to be doing harder jumps at these pro-am and Grand Prix events just so that when she needs to do them at Nationals & Worlds she's not as tense or stressed out over it. I think she needs to be using the triple/triple all the time, too. She's more than capable of it. I know Frank likes to be conservative in these events, but I think if Michelle is going to divide her time between school and skating, then less practice time should mean that she's more agressive when she does skate competitively. I don't think her programs would suffer artistically from her being more aggressive athletically. JMHO, though.

SJB
January 4th, 2000, 09:55 AM
I believe that this reporter is trying to say that Michelle used the easier 3 toe loop as her solo jump in the short program rather than the harder 3 loop or 3 flip. It could also be a reference to her long program jumps: 3 lutz with 3 toe and 3 sal, rather than 3 lutz with 3loop or flip. But this is just my guess---when someone knows as little about skating as this reporter apparently does, it's hard to be sure about what they're trying to say. As to Michelle upping her technical difficulty: she *has* been working that 3/3 into all her competitive long programs, even the GP ones, this year. That's good, because as you say, she'll be more comfortable and consistent with it later in the season. But I don't think that Michelle should necessarily try for a more difficult triple in her SP. With her overwhelming advantage in the difficulty and execution of all her other required elements (and her consistency), she does not necessarily need to have a harder solo triple jump to be in the top three, or to win the SP. What she absolutely needs is a solo triple jump in the SP that she will land cleanly every single time. It's better, IMO, to have a slightly lower base mark on this one element that to ever risk falling on the solo triple jump, or even to risk a sloppy, barely-eked-out landing (a la Maria B.). I know she actually doubled her 3 toe at this same competition last year, but that must have been the work of evil extraterrestrials, or something, because that's the only time I've ever seen her have trouble with it. OTOH, she did fall on the flip in SA this year--if that had been in the SP, her chances of winning that competition may well have been over right then. As they say, you can't win a competition in the SP, but you certainly can lose it. Until Michelle's got another triple that she is certain that she can land 100% of the time, I think she should stick to the 3 toe in the SP.

Rene
January 4th, 2000, 11:56 AM
I also think Michelle should keep the 3t in the short. She has had so many other things going on this year. This is probobly the least amount of time she has ever spent on her skating in her life. I don't want the judges to get any excuse to put her in fourth place. I know I'm in the minority here, I think it would be great if she used the flip, but falling would be really tough at Worlds this year.

kwanette
January 4th, 2000, 01:15 PM
97 Worlds? She stepped out of the combo...keep the 3t....

rcl
January 4th, 2000, 01:20 PM
'99 Worlds when Michelle fell on her double axel and ended up 4th.

Cole50
January 4th, 2000, 01:32 PM
and the costume...they both look great! I am not sure about the color of the costume, but we'll see on TV. Her hair, it definatly looks like she is growing it out! Yea!! :) I like it at this length too though, I just didn't like the super short hair. And the costume...I like how the sleeves are, from what I can see..looks like they are the 3/4 style which I am just absolutly loving! :)

Rene
January 4th, 2000, 01:43 PM
She looks very CUTE!

lizard
January 4th, 2000, 03:31 PM
in the sp. that's a good point that some of you made about it being better to have a secure jump than a harder one and risk falling. i think that's a wise strategy and has worked well for mk so far. she has no trouble making up for it in her lp.

KeithB
January 4th, 2000, 04:50 PM
...to her total skating package, along with her academic commitments at UCLA. As I see it her priority is to have three programs in good shape for the expanded GP final event, and her choice of a solo SP jump is just one of many components. When I read online remarks praising her total package and picking the Russian ladies to pieces over shortcomings in addition to missed or ragged jumps, I would say that Michelle's approach is above reproach. Keith

kwanette
January 5th, 2000, 01:13 AM
I should have said a "healthy" Michelle...No one will ever convince me that the cold/flu wasn't a factor in the 99 Worlds........

chinadoll
January 5th, 2000, 09:49 PM
just out of curiousity, how did you make it so that your "personal pic" doesn't resize to 60x60??

Karin
January 6th, 2000, 07:27 AM
I think Jordi said something about just typing the dimensions you want after the location...But I'm not sure!!!

Calum
January 6th, 2000, 02:37 PM
After the URL, type height=xx width=yy, leaving a space between the URL and "height". xx and yy are the height and width of the picture in pixels, e.g., height=58 width=100. Now a question for you: When I crop a photo using LView or Microsoft Photo Editor, it causes a degradation of the picture quality. It seems to me that it should be possible to crop a photo with no degradation at all -- the remaining pixels should be identical to the corresponding pixels in the original photo. Do I need better software to do this?

Shallah
January 6th, 2000, 04:39 PM
but one good place to ask is here: <A HREF=http://pub2.ezboard.com/fezboardcooltipstricks >http://pub2.ezboard.com/fezboardcooltipstricks </A> When I have asked for how to do stuff to my webpage someone with a clue usually answered in a day or two....