PDA

View Full Version : Ladies sp results!!!!!!!

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 04:23 AM
Dames 1. Michelle Kwan (E-U) 2. Irina Slutskaya (Rus) 3. Maria Butyrskaya (Rus) 4. Julia Soldatova (Rus) 5. Elena Liashenko (Ukr) 6. Viktoria Volchkova (Rus) YIPPPEEEEEEEE

MichelleFANnumber1
January 15th, 2000, 04:26 AM
YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! HOW DID SHE DO!??? Looks like your wish is coming true sw10025a!

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 04:27 AM
No detailed marks up yet. This is amazingly identical to the lp results (but I promise this is posted as programme court results from today at the French site)

sw10025a
January 15th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Nobody, absolutely nobody changed places?!?! That's unbelievable! I'm happy and thrilled of course, but that's hard to believe that there was no movement at all!

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 04:28 AM
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MICHELLE!! And good for Irina too! :) I guess the ISU must be pretty bummed that their head to head rematch between Michelle and Maria didn't happen LOL

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 04:29 AM
I read somewhere that the first LP counted for 66% (which is kind of absurd if you ask me), so that could be why there was no movement.

Artec262
January 15th, 2000, 04:31 AM
Go Michelle. Now can think straight, cause my heart was beating so fast before. Did Michelle do the triple flip?

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 04:31 AM
Very true Diane! This is probably the combined placements, so we will have to see the details to be sure of what happened in the short. Good thinking:-)

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 04:33 AM
She probably did the toe. As SJB so eloquently pointed out yesterday, there was no reason in Hades for her to do the flip in this format, and every reason not to.

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 04:34 AM
OK, so let me see if I can understand this format one more time LOL. Basically, the first LP was 66%, so the SP today was worth like 33%. So now that part of the competition is basically over, and they just start from scratch with the head to head match ups? Is that how it works?

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 04:36 AM
That is my understanding Diane

sw10025a
January 15th, 2000, 05:15 AM
Diane, "programme court" means "short program", so those are definitely not the factored placements, but the actual results. Of course, in this case, given that no one changed places, the LP results, SP results, and factored placements are all the same anyway. Yes, DianeO, you're correct. The slate is wiped clean, no previous results count, and Michelle and Irina go for the gold while Maria gets the indignity of competing with Soldatova for the bronze. Liashenko and Volchkova get to mope back in their hotel rooms. (What the *heck* happened to Volchkova anyway? Is she ill?)

KeithB
January 15th, 2000, 05:16 AM
While acknowledging that Speedy and his cohorts are fair game for ridicule over this superfinal format, I must say that Michelle is sending a powerful message to the skating world. She is at or near the top of her game in a strenuous international event while making the move from sheltered home schooling to being a regular UCLA freshman. She is showing her fellow skaters and the international judges what she is made of in a most magnificent manner. Keith

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 05:18 AM
Actually sw, standings after short program could mean the standings *of* the short program, meaning only short program, or the standings after the short program was contested, meaning both long and short combined. I think this is what it means, since B+S are listed in fourth at this point, and I find it hard to believe they would have placed 4th in the short alone. However, it is easy to believe that they pulled up to 4th overall after being 5th in the long.

MichelleFANnumber1
January 15th, 2000, 05:21 AM
I am sort of glad that Maria B. has only the chance at BRONZE(haha). For a while there, in all of MB's interviews, she acted like she was THE BEST in the world of FS. I will never forget that one where she said that mk's strength is that she is an american and she is in america. She also said that her and mk were the top skaters in FS. We all know that michelle is the leader in FS:). I am proud of her for the world title, but michelle had the flu!!!!!!!! lol;) Im kind of anxious to see what kind of excuse shell have this time.......

Buffy
January 15th, 2000, 05:28 AM
I think she is getting paid back from the skating gods for all the tacky stuff she has said lately!!!! Yipeeee for Michelle and Irina!

sw10025a
January 15th, 2000, 05:28 AM
I would agree with you that Michelle is looking pretty darn good compared to her competitors, particularly when you take into account that she has a full course load at a pretty good college. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves here, she's still got one more full long program to do and it could be a minefield if she's really exhausted. I don't expect her to do poorly, given that I've seen her do two program in a day formats (i.e. World Pros last year) and still be great, but in those kind of formats she's usually if not always done the longer/tech program first and the shorter one second. It'll be a very interesting couple of hours. But I really wonder if part of the reason almost all the results in the other disciplines have been so screwy and even some of those in this discipline have been surprising, is because the skaters are completely stressed out about the new format. I wonder how much of that is having an affect on them psychological and physically. (P.S. I looked up the 1st LP scores, and that article was pretty much correct about Michelle and Irina, there was a .1 per mark difference between the two, excepting of course the French judge who gave the nod to Irina, but there was a HUGE difference between Irina's marks and Maria's, excepting one judge who inexplicably placed MB ahead of IS. Those marks were pretty low for a reigning world champion.)

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 05:37 AM
I am really anxious to know the actual sp results, rather than the combined results. After all, MK would still be in first place even if she got 3rd in the sp (bite my tongue, eh?)

SJB
January 15th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Actually SW, I am pretty sure that at the World Pros last year, the technical and the interpretive free were skated on different days. But, more grumpiness about the format--the lack of change in the standings probably reflects the set-in-stone placements after the ridiculous 66% value of the 1st LP, as well as the demoralization of those skaters who realized that, after only one skate, they'd pretty much been mathmatically eliminated from the medals. AYS, Michelle could still be in first place even if she got *5th* in the SP and Irina was no higher than 3rd. She could have been in first place if she was dead last, as long as Maria didn't win the SP and Irina was 4th or 5th. THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIKE THIS FORMAT! It doesn't reward consistency and endurance--what it rewards is winning the 1st LP. After that, you can get next-to-last or dead last in the SP, and give the worst performance of your life in the head-to-head (in other words, you can tank in two of the three rounds in the competition), and you are still are assured of a silver medal at least, or even a gold if you only fall on 5 triples in the stupor final, and your competitor happens to fall on six. Well, MK is benefiting this time, but it has a lots of costs for her (as detailed in Hersh's article), and I don't want her to have to go through this again.

MichelleFANnumber1
January 15th, 2000, 05:55 AM
I agree that this format is dumb, but I am basically looking forward to seeing some great skating by Michelle!(and lots of it too)I can't wait to see Ariane again! I wonder if she had a completely different costume...

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Too bad I found out the final results... :-(

SJB
January 15th, 2000, 06:01 AM
I mean, think of it---after the 1st LP, Volchkova could have won the SP with a perfect skate, 6.0's across the board, while everyone else tanked, with scores in the 1.0's and 2.0's, and she *still* could end up dead last in the placements! (if Liashenko got 3rd place or lower). What a ridiculous situation for a world-class skater, someone who placed over the World champ in a GP program, etc. OK, OK, I'll shut up about it.