PDA

View Full Version : Finals!!! :-(

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 05:58 AM
MK won the silver!!! I wonder what happened!!! Good for Irina though...poor MK must have fallen!!! Go for the Nationals MK!!!... <A HREF=http://195.115.102.33/admisite/ffsg/actu-infos/artistique-danse/99-00_janvier.htm>http://195.115.102.33/admisite/ffsg/actu-infos/artistique-danse/99-00_janvier.htm</A>

Buffy
January 15th, 2000, 06:15 AM
BOO HOO. Well, I bet that means we won't see Ariane at National's. That is if she didn't do it cleanly. I am beginning to wonder if that is a bad luck program for Michelle. She only did it cleanly once last year. I love this program very much! At least it was Irina that won and not Maria!! I just hope that there was a mistake for Michelle and not that the judges just picked Irina (selfish me!).

MichelleFANnumber1
January 15th, 2000, 06:16 AM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!??????????? I AM IN COMPLETE SHOCK, MY DAY IS RUINED:(((((

SJB
January 15th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Congrats to Irina--too bad for Michelle, but I'd bet that this is in large part the result of who was least tired after the SP. I'll wait until Worlds--I still think that, after the results of the first LP, Michelle has the advantage.

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Well, I guess we'll have to wait for reports or till its on TV tonight. But, if this had been a NORMAL competition format Michelle would have won. She won the first LP and the SP. If it wasn't for the ISU's brilliant idea for this strange format, I think a lot of the disciplines would be different. Especially pairs and dance...they only have 5 competitors, so only ONE team is eliminated from the final LP. Thats kind of silly if you ask me. Oh well, I think this will make Michelle more determined for Nationals and Worlds.

littleone4eva
January 15th, 2000, 06:22 AM
Darn... I knew something couldn't be right with the frown face :'( Well, I guess we'll find out what happened soon. I think Ariane is a jinxed program!!! Sigh... now this ruined my whole day! But at least she won the first two rounds :) How much does the last round count for anyway?

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 06:26 AM
OK...I doubt MK was gonna do Ariane at US and Worlds anywayz...because in 1 of the articles...it says she'd use RV!!! At least RV is good luck!!! And I wanted MK to be victorious with Ariane after last year!!! :-( Ya know what I think though??? I think it's the 3 programs that exhausts MK...last year at worlds when she had to qualify, sp, lp, it really drained her energy esp. with the flu!!! Now...I was at that unofficial site...and just said MK did the 3/2 instead of 3/3!!! May be Irina did a 3/3... I think MK is strong...but not superwoman when it comes to physically strong!!!...I think doing 2 programs after 1 lp yesterday tires her!!!...plus she has school ya know!!! :-( Oh well, as ya said, at least Irina won!!!...I'm a fan too!!! If anyone was to beat MK, I'd want it to be Irina!!! Go MK...win the Nationals, and the Worlds!!! Luv ya!!! Go MK!!!

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 06:26 AM
The last round was basically a new competition. The first two rounds really only determined the matchups, which is kind of dumb. Michelle did win 2 out of the 3 portions of the competition, which is great. Personally, I'm wondering if any of the ladies skated clean, having to skate 2 LPs and a SP within just about 24 hours. If anything, they should spread the programs out a little more to give the skaters some time to regroup and rest.

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Oh well. Guess we'll find out what happened tonight.:-(

Artec262
January 15th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Oh my god. This is ruin my whole day. I know that stupid format makes Michelle tires she not a supper woman.I have to count for National and world.I'm so mad rite now this whole weekend is going to be ruin. Now I can't have a good weekend

BeezerB
January 15th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Karin---I, too, am a biggest MK fan, but please don't make excuses for her------Irina had to skate the same three programs and she won and that's it. MK is not superhuman, she can't win all the time and that's it. She's not even in school right now so please don't use that as an excuse. It's really lame. Let's just love and support her. Please please please don't make excuses!!!!!!

badhairday
January 15th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Darn, I'm kind of disappointed. But, I'm also happy for Irina! She turneed into a beautiful skater this year and I think that judges are reconizing that! Owell I think that Michelle knows who her competitions are and I hope that she beefs it up for Worlds! I'm glad it happened here than Worlds!

littleone4eva
January 15th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Before ANYONE says anything, lets wait to really find out what happened first... we need a review!

dreamr
January 15th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Well MK must have had a bad skate. If Irina skated a clean program then she definitly deserved to win. ITA, we should not make excuses because Irina had to skate the exact amount that MK skated. WE NEED REVIEWS!

XPEG
January 15th, 2000, 06:44 AM
I'm really disappointed that Michelle didn't win. But why would you say Ariane was a "bad luck program" or "jinxed"? THIS IS THE FIRST TIME SHE'S LOST BECAUSE OF ARIANE. She lost Worlds because she fell in the SP CARMEN; Because she held on in Ariane, she got the silver. Ariane is a good program, my guess is she fell.

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Well, Michelle didn't win the long program last year with Ariane either.

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Huh??? I didn't know that I came across as "making excuses" for her!!!... I know IS had to do 3 programs too...BUT I had been saying that it sorta benefits the physically stronger...MK is not that that that strong physically (IMO...that's why I think she must be exhausted...but so is everyone else)...esp not doing another program in 2 hours!!! It's not an excuse I was trying to make...honestly!!! It's funny!!!...because I was just thinking of hockey overtime (like big time over and over again overime)...I always feel it's a lot to do with which team members have more energy... Anywayz...Beezer...I AM very happy for IS...she is one of my favourite skaters.

GypsyEsmeralda
January 15th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Michelle won 2 out of the three programs swo she deserved to win this is really stupid unless she totally bombed in the last free skate (which I doubt she did) she deserved to win. I mean she won 2/3 of the competition and Irina won 1/3 therefore she wins ridiculous! Anyone agree? I like Irina but this is ridiculous!

dreamr
January 15th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Gypsy, I honestly hadn't thought about it that way. It does seem unfair that mk wins 2/3 and IS wins just 1/3 and she wins the whole darn thing!

Awesome
January 15th, 2000, 07:13 AM
ITA with GypsyEsmeralda. This new format is entirely ridiculous! If Michelle won 2/3 of the entire competition, why does she slipped to second place overall? Does this mean that coming into the 3rd round, the cumulative scores/standings earned from frist and second doesn't count? The skaters start all over with their scoring? I am confused!! I am sad on the outcome. This news definitely ruined my entire weekend. I was in joy last night as well as this morning upon seeing the 1st and 2nd round result but the 3rd and final result just made me sad. However and whatever the result this time is not that I lost my fate on Michelle. For me she is still the number one and best skater in the world today. The result was simply due to the stupid, no sense, format that No brain Speedy came up with.

vive_la_reine
January 15th, 2000, 07:14 AM
Listen, folks: You know I luv you all, and luv Michelle, and would luv for her to win the gold all the time. But this is figure skating, and she is not going to win the gold in every event, unless she somehow transforms herself into Superwoman! That said, I am perfectly happy that Michelle at least won the silver! My day is not ruined. I am interested in seeing what happened. My only area of disappointment is that I don't know if we'll ever get to see first LP or the SP. I hope they broadcast more than just the final LP. I would love to see TRV again. Please know, that I am not trying to be rude or insult any of you. I am merely pointing out that there is a positive perspective on all of this. Anyway, I am happy for Michelle that with all the transitions she's had to deal with, that she remains to be one of the top skaters in the world. And I am also very happy for Irina. She has been around for a long time and I have always enjoyed watching her Finally, when you think about it, silver and bronze medals at this level, while not as highly valued as gold, are still tremendous achievements. I'm happy for Irina and extremely proud of Michelle.

mano
January 15th, 2000, 07:19 AM
I'm so numb right now it's not funny. Somebody pass me some smelling salt's 'cause I feel faint. Check out these scores. Michelle was soundly beaten. Posted by Mozart from FSW. 1 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 1.0 6.0 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.9 #2 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.9 5.7 11.9 11.7 11.8 11.7 11.7 11.7 11.6 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Michelle KWAN USA 2.0 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.7 5.7 5.6 5.6 #1 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.7 5.9 11.4 11.6 11.6 11.5 11.6 11.3 11.5 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 I'm going to take it as a positive and say Michelle is going to be more determined than ever to improve on this come Nationals and Worlds and score 6.0's across the board. Go Michelle, you're still the champion. Plus Irina don't have to deal with studies after this comp.

vive_la_reine
January 15th, 2000, 07:22 AM
LOL!!! Mano, you always come up with a good one. "Michelle Shocked" -- I'm still laughing!

mano
January 15th, 2000, 07:29 AM
Irina Slutskaya landed the historical 3lutz/3loop and a 3Sal/3loop. Well, she's always had good jumping ability. Hey, if you have all the time in the world to train without having to worry about school and other stuff just a husband who wants to you to be #1, hey.

virginia girl
January 15th, 2000, 07:30 AM
...says that Irina landed a 3S-3L AND a 3Z-3L!!!! If this is true, no wonder she won! Michelle definitely needs to start upping her difficulty!

mano
January 15th, 2000, 07:38 AM
States Irina had 7 triples, MK landed 6 and her only mistake was doubling a 3loop. Sigh, MK really got to up her technical ability.

jahowes
January 15th, 2000, 07:41 AM
I

virginia girl
January 15th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Here's a link to FSW, which has confirmation from the Associated Press of THREE jump combos from Irina (3Z-3L, 3S-3L, 3T-2T): <A HREF=http://www.fsworld.com/bboard/Forum3/HTML/000117.html >http://www.fsworld.com/bboard/Forum3/HTML/000117.html </A> Michelle skated well apparently,no falls, 6 triples, only doubling a planned 3L. I'm sorry MK lost, but she's got plenty of time before Worlds to work on more difficulty. Have to admit it...I'm really looking forward to seeing Irina's skate!

jahowes
January 15th, 2000, 07:43 AM
I really think this was a good thing to happen now. There's been lots of talk on this board about how we wish Michelle would up the difficulty of her jumps. Maybe this will give her and Frank the impetus to do so. As much as I love Michelle, I have been incredibly impressed with Irina this season. I often wondered if I didn't care for other skaters just because I saw them as competition for Michelle. Irina is certainly an exception - I really like her. I was dissapointed to see Michelle lose, but I was happy that Irina won. It certainly seems like she had an incredible performance - and isn't that the way we want someone to beat Michelle? It just makes our girl a better skater. So it happens now instead of at Worlds. I think it's great timing. I know Michelle is busy with school. But if she wants to remain at this level, somehow the technical difficulty of her programs must increase.

sidda
January 15th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Aren't

GypsyEsmeralda
January 15th, 2000, 07:48 AM
I like Mrs. Slutskaya, but I htink she had the skate of her life and will probably not ever skate this well agin. Don't get me wrong Michelle should still up her diffuculty. You should always try to be more challenging but seriously folks... Do you think Irina will skate that well again. I still think it's ridiculous that Irina won though I mean Michelle won two thirds of the competition I' sure that if in the super final round they wouldn't have eliminated the scores from the other two parts Micehlel would have won. GAWD! I hate speedy. I know we haven't seen it but I've seen enough to know that this competition should have been Michelle's.

Awesome
January 15th, 2000, 07:49 AM
so it was due to the technical difficulty that Irina puts in to her Don Quixote program. Good for you Irina. I like Irina more than MB, at least she has a healthier/sound mind. Please no offense to the MB fans. Hey, Michelle did well too! Can you imagine doing TRV/ADIL/Ariane back to back within 48 hours and no fall at all!! That is pretty darn good considering that prior to the competition she has a stressful finals, trip to Japan, adjusting to dorm life, new training rink and all other stuffs. As Mano says, Irina doesn't have anything to worry but just to skate well and to attend to her husband while Michelle has schools, US Nationals, Worlds Championships, etcc... Go Michelle.....You are the best!!!

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 07:51 AM
It's GOOD NEWS!!!...MK can really up the ante now!!!...The GPF definitely has gotta be an indication for her!!! Go MK!!! Work your magic for worlds!!! MK has actually made at least 1 mistake at least once in every ISU competition this season!!! Sigh!!! Go MK!!!

Terri
January 15th, 2000, 07:52 AM
You win some, you lose some. With Michelle it's more like you win a lot, you lose one or two. That's okay. She doesn't have to win everything. She skated three strong programs and was edged out for first in the end. she should be proud of herself. I am very proud of her. BeezerB, what do you mean she isn't in school now? UCLA started days ago. Congratulations to Irina, what a comeback! Too bad that we won't see these top three ladies until Worlds.

pattic
January 15th, 2000, 07:53 AM
I love Michelle and her skating and want her to win her competitions but this is okay. I would be miserable right now if the loss had gone to either Butyrskaya or Soldatova. I like Irina and think her skating this year has been fabulous. This also will send Michelle back to get ready for World's with renewed ambition. She NEEDS a flip in the SP and she needs to raise her technical elements overall in order for her to stay competitive in the long run. Michelle always does better when there is someone else pushing here. And over the past 3 years it has been either Tara or Maria B. -- I'm SOOOO much happier with it being Irina.

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 07:54 AM
MK went into this season and all of her commitments with her eyes wide open. I'm sure she won't be using her schedule as an excuse, and we shouldn't either, IMO

Chefette
January 15th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Not to take anything away from Michelle, but Irina didn't beat her on just technical content. If you look, you'll see that Irina also beat Michelle on the presentation scores. And I wouldn't say that Irina had the skate of her life and won't be able to repeat it, either. She's been skating very well all year, won the Russian Nationals over a very tough field and also managed to stay on her feet throughout the competition. As for saying Irina has nothing to do but skate, I take it that you aren't a newlywed :). Not only do you have other things to do, but a marriage is most likely to break up in the first year because that year is usually the hardest. I've gone to college and I've been a newlywed, and believe me, college is easier. Michelle is a great skater. She won't be any greater if people try to downplay how good Irina has become or make excuses for a second place finish. I know you all need to mourn, but give credit where credit is due. You can be sad for Michelle without trying to run Irina down.

KristiDrop
January 15th, 2000, 08:05 AM
I most definitely wanted her to win, but I'm glad she lost this way: skating cleanly and losing to a skater who skated cleanly as well. It's just the GPF, and she's going to learn a lot by losing than if she had won... Think about it, now she and Frank are going to be paying more attention to what she needs to improve, if she had won, then there wouldn't quite have been the motivation to improve... This could've been the Worlds Results and imagine how we would've felt. Let's pray this helps Michelle get fired up for Nats and Worlds.

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Well, I think you have to take the presentation scores with a grain of salt here. Judges frequently reward skates of unusually high technical merit with higher presentation marks. In other words, the marks are heavily linked, especially for certain judges. Remember Tara's 5.9s for presentation at Nagano.

SJB
January 15th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Look, my day's not ruined either. MK pulled off a great performance of TRV, looks like a really good one of Ariane, and won the SP, so she must have done pretty well with ADITL. I call that a mighty good competition. And, once again, she's won silver, adding to her historic streak of gold and silver placings. Also, I love Irina's skating, and it sounds like with that last skate that she deserved to win. So, good for her! And Michelle did win 2 of the rounds in the competition, so she's still competitive with the best. Even if Michelle's second at Worlds to Irina, as long as they've both done great performances, I'll be happy. Something tells me that Michelle is probably not very upset about this result. I agree, hooray for silver!

Awesome
January 15th, 2000, 08:11 AM
I am not using the busy/tight schedule as excuses for Michelle. What I am trying to say is that despite her chaotic shedules this season, she still made it to the second place finish which is darn good. Anyway, let us not waste our time on this.

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 08:14 AM
Really...it's great news!!! I am a little disappointed about this though...BUT I am so excitied about Irina!!!...the 3lutz/3loop was one of the two 3/3combos MK told people she was practising last year...I would have liked to see that MK made the history...BUT still so PROUD of Irina!!! That said...I wonder if since MK skated after IS (2nd last skater)...if she was a little nervous... Do the 3axel MK!!! Woo hoo!!!... Worlds is gonna BE so exciting!!! So exciting!!! Woo hoo!!! All these split ordinals in the sp (another poster said the ordinals in the sp were split betewen MK, IS and MB) tells us definitely that MK has a lot to think about with Frank and Lori...and herself!!! MK ALWAYS comes back stronger after being defeated!!! Amaze us!!! Go MK!!!

mano
January 15th, 2000, 08:18 AM
but she's made it no secret that she's in one h*ck of a happy marriage and her husband's goal is to make her #1 in the world. The season so far is already proving them right and that's wonderful. It's in one of the Blades of Ice articles or IFS mags. Marriage has done wonders for her. Me, I'd rather go home to a happy husband than face College anyday, heehee, but that's me. I know that Michelle knew what she was facing, but h*ck, we're fans who just want to put things into some kind of perspective that would help ease the disappointment.

Buffy
January 15th, 2000, 08:22 AM
WOW for Irina - I can't wait to see her skate! I, too, think this can be good for Michelle. I would bet she isn't going to change a whole lot before World's - that doesn't seem to be her style, but I bet in the off-season, she will be working really hard to up the difficulty. At least this is a new rival I can live with (much better than Maria - IMO!). Maybe Michelle just didn't have her usual spark. They had to do two of there programs within two hours - that is what one article said. Irina has improved so much this season, I actually never cared for her until this year. I really do like her now, so a big Congrats to Irina!

Awesome
January 15th, 2000, 08:23 AM
you understand my sentiment.

aries2
January 15th, 2000, 08:26 AM
let me just say that I am so glad u guys are out there to vent!! My family thinks I am a nut case. I guess this will make Michelle think hard about upping her tech. skills, Iam glad though that it was Irina that came out on top and not MB. Michelle and Irina seem to be fond of each other(from what I've seen the few times they've shown them toghether)that eases the pain just a little.No matter what, everyone knows that Michelle is by far the best of the best.

dpierce
January 15th, 2000, 08:37 AM
This has absolutely ruined my day!!!!! Just thinking though......I wonder what the results would have been if michelle would have switched the order of her long programs. This would have made since to me seeing how she would have had more energy to use while doing a program that she has only practiced three weeks this season. Then if her combined scores put her in the top two she would have went in to the super final with TRV which she is probably much more comfortable with at the present moment...just a thought ...u dont have to agree with it The last thing i wanted to comment on was all of the negative reaction ive heard about her using ariane. I know this is an unpopular opinion but i prefer ariane to TRV any day...i think they are both beautiful but it was just a connection that i made with ariane that i cant explain..on the other hand i dont think she should switch her programs this late in the season...however if she must i would much rather see her keep TRV and see her replace ADITL...i know i will recieve slack for that but i just dont like that program at all!!!! Actualy i would rather see a mistake in a bueatiful short like carmen than to see her skate a clean ADITL...maybe its just because i dont like the Beatles....hope i didnt offend anyone.. remember this was just my opinion

mano
January 15th, 2000, 08:38 AM
It's nice to have a place to share how we feel about things in Michelle's life. Here's to an Awesome skate for Michelle at National's and Worlds, tech difficulty and all!!! Go Michelle!!!

kwanette
January 15th, 2000, 08:45 AM
I just got home from an out-of-town shopping trip...and my friend Cindy was on the machine with the results...I feel sick....Good for Irina...she's a nice young lady, but honestly that doesn't make me feel any better....So I'll be sad for awhile and a little mad for a while....and then I will get over it....

Chefette
January 15th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Sigh. The presentation marks are irrelevant--but only if someone other than Michelle is getting them. Married people have it easier than college students--which must be why there are so many more successful marriages than there are successful college students. Irina just had the skate of her life, a fluke that won't be repeated. And so on and so on. I can certainly see that in no way is anyone trying to take anything from Irina and make excuses for Michelle. Michelle doesn't need excuses. She did a great job. She had three clean skates in a format that everyone was predicting would be a splatfest. She won two out of three parts of the competition. She now knows what Irina is going to bring to Worlds--and Worlds is the big one, not the Grand Prix, so she knows what she's got to do to win the one that counts.

Jenny
January 15th, 2000, 08:52 AM
I agree that people shouldn't take anything away from Irina or feel the need to make excuses for Michelle.... and so do a lot of other posters here.... I just hope you realize that not everyone on MKF is doing that.

aries2
January 15th, 2000, 08:55 AM
great attitude Mano! we have to remember that even though we are so bummed right now, Michelle has an incredible track record (gold or silver last 4yrs.) and that is not gonna be easily forgotten. This might be a blessing in disguise becuase Irina is gonna push Michelle to be the very best she can be up until 2002,when ofcourse Michelle will be Olympic champion :)

Rene
January 15th, 2000, 09:01 AM
I think it would be unrealistic to think Michelle would up her tech this year. Considering what she has "on her plate" this year and be second at an international comp is GREAT! I think Oly season will be different. I know some people get mad when I say this but school OF COURSE affects her skating(in lots of different ways). How can something(skating) being the only focus in her life totally change and not have an effect. It's impossible. Of course the most important thing is that it's good for her LIFE! She knew what she was getting into I'm sure. I wish I could be as happy as most of you about it though. If it was anyone I'm glad it was Irina. But I'm still not happy, because I can't stand all the FSW people gloating! UGH! Do you realize that there is only ONE MORE SEASON before Oly year? Isn't that weird? Anyway, I'm bummed but Michelle is doing great and I think she IS a superwoman! Mano, I'd rather face a Happy marriage and supportive husband ANYDAY over college too! Hey, I'd take a happy marriage and supportive husband over ANYTHING!!!!! I don't even know what I'm saying, I'm in shock and have had WAY TOO MUCH COFFEE!!!!! It's true about the sp ordinals everybody got a little of everything(top 3)

Rene
January 15th, 2000, 09:07 AM
I didn't see anyone saying anything bad about Irina or making excuses for Michelle. I want Michelle to win always, but if somebody else deserved to win, that's what should happen. It seems to me most people here are happy for Irina, EVEN ME(believe it or not)! It's true that Michelle doesn't need excuses, who do you know that could do what she does, as well as she does???

XPEG
January 15th, 2000, 09:09 AM
I, unlike some posters, am not real happy about Michelle's silver. Michelle is a champion; anything other than the top step is not acceptible. That's not to say her skating three clean programs and winning 2 out of 3 rounds wasn't good; I was pleased with that. But I don't think Michelle feels satisfaction right now with her silver. But I agree with Chefette, Worlds is what's important--no announcer ever says "Here's the two time Grand Prix champion". If Michelle wins Worlds, this competition won't be that important. Michelle also knows what Irina will be bringing to Worlds, so let's see what she does.

mano
January 15th, 2000, 09:10 AM
What's with the agenda. So what if some people have said what they feel in FSW or here. It's a matter of opinion. Think of it as taking a cue from Maria Butyrskaya's honesty classes. Am I missing something here? I guess I should have popped the bubbly and shouted Halellujah upon hearing that my fave skater got second. Is that a new rule now? A lot of people ARE happy for Irina, EVEN Peggy Fleming has said on National TV that her "marriage" has done wonders for her and I for one totally agree. In fact, I think Michelle should get married too. Hehehehe, nobody is making excuses for Michelle, we just like to SALVE our disappointments once in a while. You know, like when my Knicks lost to the Rockets in '94, it hurt 'cause I was pulling for Patrick Ewing to finally get a ring, but happy that Olajuwan go his. But that didn't stop me from trying to talk it out with other fans 'cause we SHARE the disappointments. Didn't help that the Rockets had home court advantage, but that's fan talk. It's not a perfect world. As for marriage, sigh. I'm just happy that people I know have successful ones even if they are in the minority according to statistics. My opinion again, I take the ups and downs of marriage over College anytime, I don't think MK would feel the same way. But again, it is my opinion. I'm sure a ton of people will disagree, which is totally fine with me...that's their opinion.

aries2
January 15th, 2000, 09:36 AM
wow! ofcourse we all want(expect)Michelle to win all the time that is why it reallyHURTS when she doesn't,but remember this a tough year for her. Frank,Lori and Michelle are brilliant I am sure they'll do what's best come next season. Who knows maybe she'll take a year off(college)during the 2001-2002 season so she can concentrate 100% on the Olympics,whatever happens I am sure Michelle is well aware of all these issues and will do whatever it takes to come out on top.

sw10025a
January 15th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Sure,

skatingfan
January 15th, 2000, 11:12 AM
My day is ruined but I will survived. Just came back home from work, have to work the whole weekend. I am glad IS win, she worked hard. BTW, I think she was attending college? unless she took time off this season. Hard to beat a 3z/3l, and 3s/3l combo. Is she the first woman to land the 3z/3l? I have always said when presentation of another skater is good enough, it comes down to a jumping contest. I think MK knows she has to increase the difficulty of her jumps, she has been saying it for how long? Whether in reality she could do it or not b/c of school or other limits we don't know. One thing I know she always tries her best. Seldom see a 6.0 for tech. I wonder what single triple jump did MK landed in her sp. Now I am worried about worlds. I hope MK does not meet IS in the qualifying rounds. I think since MB, and MK were 1st and second in world last year, they won't meet each other in the first round. I hope MB , and Slute meet in the qualifying rounds.

barang
January 15th, 2000, 11:23 AM
i agreeeeeeeeeeeeeee! judges must be a little confuse with the word TECHNICAL and PRESENTATION.

Chefette
January 15th, 2000, 11:25 AM
So you can be honest and express your opinion, but I can't? You have an opinion, but I have an agenda? Valium not kicking in yet, mano? My agenda is to give my kids haircuts, do some laundry and catch the GPF on TV tonight. What's yours?

Maeve
January 15th, 2000, 11:38 AM
I am SO HAPPY for Irina! She has been a favorite of mine for a loooooong time, and it really is great to see her finally get her act together. She's having such a great season... For now, Irina's win outweighs any concern over MK's placement. Then again, I do hope this will light a fire under MK. I don't know that I'll be as gracious if Irina wins Worlds too ;-)

vive_la_reine
January 15th, 2000, 11:40 AM
With the husband I had, I would prefer the trials and tribulations of college any day. College and being dragged by a truck over a hot bed of coals!!!! ; ) !!! However, I have to agree--for the friends I know who have loving, supportive relationships, it is a wonderful sight to behold. Unconditional love and support from a spouse in your endeavors can help you rise to higher levels of achievement. Finally, I disagree with whoever said that Michelle's placing is "unacceptable". In my humble opinion, that statement is a bit harsh. If it is unacceptable for her to finish second, then is it unacceptable for anyone to finish second? Sheesh, there is only one gold and nobody wins it all of the time.

DianeO
January 15th, 2000, 11:47 AM
I think everyone needs to calm down and put this all in perspective. This is just one competition out of MANY in these skaters careers. Irina had a great skate and so did Michelle, but Irina was obviously better this time and looks like she deserved to win. I can't wait to see this competition on TV. Did you all read this quote from Michelle? "I was fine, but I'm very impressed by Slutkskaya's performance. Usually I don't watch other skaters but this time I did and what she did is unbelieveable." Let's all follow her example and give Irina the credit she deserves for her accomplishment. Michelle can't win all the time, and I'm glad Irina skated so well.

Icare
January 15th, 2000, 11:48 AM
If I read Winning attitude correctly, Frank would say, "Irina did more difficult jumps. It is fair that she won. To win in the future, we have do them too. Let's start working!" I just think it is a timely wakeup call for Kwan team to adjust her plan and stride harder, which is good for her dream of 2002 Oly's Gold.

yingshan
January 15th, 2000, 12:21 PM
As a Michelle fan, I'm not enthusiastic about the result. But at least she's beaten by a better performance and I've been saying she needs to up her difficulty for a year now. I've been thinking Frank and Michelle had been playing it too save for this past year. Now, they know they have to up the difficulty for the Worlds. They have no choice. I'm glad Irina unveiled her 3Z-3L and 3S-3L at GPF instead of Worlds. Michelle has two and half months to reassess her strategy. I hope she'll do 3Z-3L or 3Z-3T at the Worlds. Yes, Worlds is the important one and now Michelle knows what she has to do. A 3F in SP and a 3Z-3L or 3Z-3T combo to keep her competitive. I really don't agree with the strategy that just doing enough to win instead of doing the best you can. She may not need those for the Nationals this year, but she definitely needs them for Worlds.

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 12:32 PM
and MK has to think about SH for the Nationals and even the Worlds...not just Irina and others!!! Oooh...skating is so exciting now!!! :o) I HOPE for the worlds... 1) MK...3flip in sp!!!...for the lp...3axel :-)??? hee hee, 3z/3loop, 3sal/3loop, 3/3toe :-) (HEE HEE...allow me to hope) 2) IS...3sal/3loop, 3z/3loop, another 3lutz 3) SH...3/3loop, 2axel/3toe 4) JR...clean 3lutz landings!!! Hee hee!!!

lavender
January 15th, 2000, 12:47 PM
she ups the ante but would if she just can't. You guys remember mk stating that if she can't do that then she can't. I say this because she has been practicing and she did do that 3l/3l at a practice before and that was 2 years ago. So obviously she can do that particular combo but I just don't know why she hasn't done it in a major comp. Maybe she just can't push her body to do those things like she use to.

3axel3
January 15th, 2000, 12:52 PM
OH NO!! Well at least it wasn't Maria who won....I actually like Irina's skating, she has really changed since last year and she's really got a great style now. I kind of think that Michelle must not have skated cleanly though, or she wouldn't have won.

skatingfan
January 15th, 2000, 12:57 PM
MK just started a new quarter at UCLA, if she is taking a full load again, it would be tough for her. I think MK needs to rethink her strategy for school. I remember in SA , she was all stressed out b/c she just took an exam prior to flying over to Co, and she was upset for she thought she did not do too well. It turned out she got a B for the test. Danny Kwan mentioned to her, it is perfectly ok to get a B, she mentioned that she wanted to aim at an A. It had been a long time since college, and i was a science major, so for every 3 hours of labs, I receive one credit. Of course unlike MK who is taking psychology etc, science majors don't have to write mid term or term papers. If MK allows herself to accept Bs and even Cs are OK, I think she would abe able to free up some time. From my experience in college being so focus to get As all the time or worse aiming to score the highest in the class took a lot out of me, and i was just full time studying. Now looking back it did not make that much difference whether I scored a 99 in calculus II for an A+ or just an 80 for B.

mano
January 15th, 2000, 01:15 PM
yet Rachel, but the good thing is, the Ritalin did though, hehehehe. Just was wondering 'cause everyone was posting happy for Irina and sad about MK and then suddenly we have someone who says that we've been putting down Irina. Things that make you go Hmmnnn... I only saw one post regarding Irina's win a fluke and that was at FSW. Everybody else couldn't be much more happier for the gal. It's a good win, an exciting win, but sheesh, aren't we allowed to lament a loss too. The much more I think about it, Lament de Ariane is more and more appropo. Apologies if the Agenda thing got to ya, good thing you have stuff to do tonight. That makes one of us 'cause I have to fight my neices and nephews for TV rights so I can tape the GPF in peace...sigh. Consider me watching the VCR like a hawk tonight, high on Ritalin, while waiting for the Valium to kick in hehehehehe!!! GO Michelle!!! Go Irina, battle of Dickie's affections is on tonight. He is going to be one happy camper 'cause he can pinch Irina's cheeks when he congratulates her.

mano
January 15th, 2000, 01:32 PM
I aced my Calculus my first semester, but didn't study enough for it and managed only a B+ in the 2nd Semester. Aced all my liberal arts classes, but was only average in Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, Genetics. I remember 3 hour labs where I got out smelling like formaldehyde that I always had no problem getting access to a computer to do some emailing. I disliked my Organic chem professor who also happened to be the Pre-Med advisor and for the first meeting she said bluntly that if people had a 3.5 GPA, don't even bother applying. All this and I realized that I didn't want to be a doctor anymore. I happily forgot all I learned there and hope to go back for Computers or something. Working does make you want to go back to College. But when College starts again I always say, man I want to go back to work.

kwanette
January 15th, 2000, 02:18 PM
and basically posted my thoughts there.Only Michelle knows what she is capable of doing....

Rene
January 15th, 2000, 03:02 PM
I really think it's unrealistic to expect Michelle to "up the ante technically" this season, she seems to be very busy. She can only do so much. She certainly can't be expected to change to 2 3/3 combos by Worlds! My feeling is that the Olympic year she will take off school and "up her tech".

kwanette
January 15th, 2000, 03:09 PM
I agree...she can't begin 3x3's all of a sudden....Eventually, she will have to make a choice...Read my posts under jinxed...let me know what you think.

muri
January 15th, 2000, 03:33 PM
When I first saw Irina this season I said she would be MK's real competition but I didn't want it to be like this. But deep down I know this is good for MK. For a long time there has been 'talk' of competition for MK now it's no longer talk, it's reality. Team Kwan knows what they need to do and since I trust Team Kwan & Michelle, I will wait for Nationals & Worlds. I can't help but think MK is fired up after this comp, at least I hope so.

KwanBoy23
January 15th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Now, I must say that I'm the die-hard Michelle Kwan fan and all but I must certainly tip my hat to Irina for her AWESOME performance. Pulling off two triple/triple combinations, one of which is historical for a lady skater, is nothing new to this jumping technician. Her performances at Worlds in 97 and 98 showed us her technique, and now we're seeing her artistry. Michelle is my fave but I *KNEW* Irina would beat her sometime this year. I didn't expect it here but I'm happy none-the-less. Irina is right behind Michelle on my list of fave skaters and this was such a wonderful breakthrough for her. I'm hoping she'll regain her European title and carry the momentum onto worlds. Let's face it. Michelle needs someone niping on her heels to motivate her. That's what led to her legendary performances at Nationals in 98. Tara was nipping and Kwan said 'Ok you can stop that now...' This is what she needs. This is also what Irina needs. And I wouldn't call it a fluke performance. Irina has pushed herself many times and has done it when the pressure was on. I think she'll keep this level. But who knows... Irina with a GPF gold after so many bronze's makes me happy. Michelle with a silver is no new news. What can we expect next???

barang
January 15th, 2000, 03:56 PM
well said, i understand michelle situatuion. she doesn't have all the time to practice and relax because of her school. her time is now devided and limited so i truly believed that time is the issue here. will she get enough rest to recopurate after a long night of studies or paper work and then fly to the competition the next day? the answer is obvious. michelle, you do what you think is best for you. regardless of the outcome, you will always be number one in my heart.