PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Skating to Ariane

HeatherV23
January 14th, 2000, 08:45 AM
From this article: <A HREF=http://www.chicago.tribune.com/sports/main/article/0,2669,SAV-0001140216,FF.html#content >http://www.chicago.tribune.com/sports/main/article/0,2669,SAV-0001140216,FF.html#content </A> It even mentions that she and Frank are considering using it for Nationals as well due to a rekindled interest! That would be fun to see... although I really adore TRV -Heather :-)

Aaron W
January 14th, 2000, 10:58 AM
I hope this doesn't anger anyone, but I don't want to see Ariane at the Nationals. This was my least favorite of Michelle's programs. I never felt touched by it, never moved by it. Even when she skated it cleanly at the World Pros, I wasn't interested with it. I'm going to Nationals and I pray that she sticks with Red Violin. My personal preferance is with Red Violin over Ariane any day. I hope I haven't made anyone upset with what I've said, but Ariane just never impressed me. Maybe it's the music and not the program itself. All I know is that I've always enjoyed everyone of Michelle's programs except for Ariane. I really hope she doesn't switch back. [Aaron W crossing his fingers]

sw10025
January 14th, 2000, 11:07 AM
I suspect it may depend on the artistic marks she gets from each of the programs at the GP finals. Also, she may want to go ahead and use two different programs for her LPs at worlds, so if she concentrated on Ariane from now through nationals, she should have both in good shape (and enshrined in muscle memory) by worlds.

skatingfan3
January 14th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Amen, Aaron! Ariane is my least favorite program from Michelle. Maybe it's just the music that I never grew to like. Stick to Red Violin, Michelle!

AYS
January 14th, 2000, 11:53 AM
I liked Ariane, but I *far* prefer RV. RV is one of her *most* brilliant programs to date, and it deserves the chance for a truly brilliant rendition.

KwanBoy23
January 14th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Darn! The second LP is Ariane. I must confess I was 'Hoping against Hope' that she would do Lyra Angelica or Taj Mahal. I would just LOVE to see he re-do TM just for her growth artistically since she first performed that program. It's one of my favorites. Although I do understand why she's using it as her second LP. Ariane is from last year and she is probably more comfortable with it than any other LP she currently has, including RV. And yes, AYS, I also liked Ariane but I also *far* prefer RV. It is a great program and I just adore the costume. Here's hoping she does great. Already a great start and she's showing the Russian contingent that she is STILL the best there is. However, GO IRINA!!! We want you back in the TOP 3!!!

GypsyEsmeralda
January 14th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Let's give Ariane a chance, she never performed it with that spark. I see brilliance when I watch that program she just has to perform it right. It has such great potential. It has very innovative choreography, and she will also probably change some stuff around.. Wonder if she got a new dress? P.S. Whatever happened to that new dress she was supposed to have for TRV?

kwanette
January 14th, 2000, 12:38 PM
Yet, I want her to do TRV at Nats and Worlds...Plus, let's see what the "newest" Michelle will do with it now....

KwanBoy23
January 14th, 2000, 12:38 PM
GE, I am giving it a chance I just don't want Michelle to back track and use the same LP at Nationals and Worlds two years in a row! She has always used a different LP every year unlike some of the other skaters. I am going to be happy to see it again and maybe she'll give it that *spark* this time like we all know she can. The choreography is great and I love the music too. I just don't want her to 'revert' in a sense to an older program. Part of Michelle's biggest strengths is the ability to be innovative and always trying something new. Although this isn't what I expected, it's still Michelle!!! :) Whatever the outcome, I know what she'll do. As quoted from an interview from Worlds in 98 "I'm thinking about what's best for Michelle..." If this is it girl, then honey GO FOR IT! We still love her.

Rene
January 14th, 2000, 12:40 PM
I would be shocked if she didn't do RV at Worlds, the international judges seem to love it.

Rene
January 14th, 2000, 12:46 PM
This must be REALLY HARD to do, because I've never heard Michelle talk like that about a competition before. Poor baby. YOu can do it Michelle!!!!!! I never thought about how her competitors at Nationals will be rested!

skatingfan
January 14th, 2000, 02:20 PM
I would love to see MK skate to TRV this year in nats and worlds. She is however very busy, and had cut back skating training. I speculate that if she chooses Ariane at nats and worlds, she will plan on using TRV next year 2001. That will give her time to refine TRV. BTW, could this be the reason why she hasn't debut her new TRV costume yet? She needs to have good momentum going into 2002. That means she needs to start winning worlds in 2000, then 2001, and go into 2002 olys as the reigning world champ. Ariane even though had not been skated in comp that much last year , it is very thoroughly well choreographed program, give it more time this year with the improved layback, improved charlotte, a falling leaf, and if she does her 3t/3t she plans a second 2a at the end. Not a bad progrma at all. I hope she change costume though. Then I think even MK and Frank have not finalize their nats and world 2000 strategy yet. That is kind of scarry, imagine NNN, Sasha, SH, Kirk and Deana etc all have been practicing the same programs the whole season.

myBelle
January 14th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Is

aries2
January 14th, 2000, 04:07 PM
I am truly surprised that not to many people cared for ariane. I personaly loved the program I think the music was great and the outfit really made her body look so athletic(world pro) I might be the minority but I also like the 3toe at the end of RV ,It reminds me of the 96 worlds (salome)so dramatic, maybe she can add the charlotte somewhere in the middle of the program..regardless Michelle can do no wrong in my eyes!! :)

Karin
January 14th, 2000, 04:23 PM
Go MK!!! Wishing you the best of luck!!! Hope you'll land the 3/3toe in Ariane and be perfect in the competition!!! Bring home the gold!!! Go MK!!!

yingshan
January 14th, 2000, 04:55 PM
I loved the Red Violin. I think it's much better than Ariane. I hope Michelle will skate to TRV at the Nationals and Worlds. But skatingfan's theory isn't bad either. We all know how important 2001 Worlds is to 2002 Olympics. If she doesn't have time, I'd rather see TRV two years in a row than repeating Ariane this year.

ML
January 14th, 2000, 05:46 PM
I believe MK knows how to win, and how to prepare for 2002. Whatever she decides --- I'm with her 100% :) TRV is the BEST lp I love; maybe MK would save it for 2002 Oly. I hope so :) Ariadne's Lament is good enough for Nat'l & World IMO. MK only performed it 3 times last yr., I'd love to see it performs to its peak. It may not be as great as TRV; nevertheless, it is passionate and strong --- as Michelle put it, "this music take you everywhere." Best Luck to MK Now & Beyond !!!!!!

barang
January 14th, 2000, 05:54 PM
i agree, just think for a moment. national is one of the hardest competition there is as michelle kwan stated. of course she will use the program that requires tons of difficulty. for instance, 1-the footwork. 2-the jumps and 3-the arms movement. if you watched the previous national meet, just pay attention to them and you'll know what i mean.

MichelleFANnumber1
January 14th, 2000, 06:05 PM
I never noticed...Is Ariane more difficult than Red Violin???

Karin
January 14th, 2000, 06:11 PM
Ariane harder??? IMHO...Footwork wise...but not artistically wise...JMO Tracy Wilson said she talked to Frank...and he said RV is hard to do because there is "no melody" and MK depends on herself for guiding the presentation!!!...something like that!!!

muri
January 14th, 2000, 06:46 PM
I like Ariane & I think it's fine for a second program at GP event with this years 'brilliant' format, but I think MK should stick to RV since that's what the judges will be expecting. Leave 2 yr old programs to others. Rene you're right, I have never heard Michelle talk like that, this must be really rough on her. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it.

Rene
January 14th, 2000, 06:54 PM
You know, if you're going to make the skaters nuts with this new format at least SHOW IT ALL ON TV!!!! We're probobly only going to see 6 programs from each disipline. They usually show about 12 programs in a 2 hour show.

MichelleFANnumber1
January 14th, 2000, 07:51 PM
Well all i know is that i got my tapes and im ready!

tdwinter3
January 14th, 2000, 08:57 PM
I feel TRV is the BEST program Michelle has EVER done. Before TRV, I thought her short program Stravinsky piece was her best program but what's more important than the short program is the LP obviously and I think it would be a great idea to keep TRV for the Olympic year because it is simply a CLASSIC. It is, as Dick Button is so fond of saying, EXQUISITE. But then again, Michelle and her team are always coming up with great programs so could they possibly top TRV? It would be interesting to see. Some people seem to be panicking that Slutskaya was close but IMO, Michelle is in a class by herself. Her programs, her style, what she brings to the ice is something I haven't seen any skater do, other than Torville and Dean whose programs are poetry on ice. Bolero...be still my heart. How I wish I had that on tape! Michelle brings something from inside her on the ice and THAT is what makes her skating so mesmerizing. Who can forget her Lyra LP at Nationals in 98? The program itself was not all that remarkable. The music was okay but nothing special. Michelle's the one that MADE that program that night. I don't think I'll ever forget her performance. Sorry I got off on a tangent but I am just so impressed with Michelle's programs and skating. I LOVE TRV and would love to see her save it for the Olympics.

Rene
January 14th, 2000, 09:04 PM
I also think RV would be a great Oly program.

Lara F
January 14th, 2000, 09:51 PM
AFAIK Michelle never skated to him. She did Bacarisse (Romanza) in 96, Massanet (Desdesmona) in 97, Rach in 98 and Bizet (Carmen) last year. If you read the main chat thread, you know my opinion - keep RV! But if it's to be Ariane, well I guess I'll give it another chance. I just really hope she got a new costume so the program will look fresh. I don't want memories of last season where, except for EOE, I really wasn't caring for Michelle's programs all that much... Lara Michele :-)

tdwinter3
January 15th, 2000, 04:21 PM
no message