PDA

View Full Version : MK's Araine report...um...NOT 6t riples but 5...and MK with

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 03:43 PM
I don't know if it was just me or if MK really didn't have the spark in Ariane...Tracy Wilson said MK looked like she didn't have the usual "abandonment"!!!...ITA!!! BTW...in Ariane...MK's layback was back to the usual lack of turn-out!!! Wonder what they'll say on ABC with Button!!! MK 2-FOOTED the 3sal and doubled the 3loop (so is that 5 triples instead then???... weak on the second 3lutz!!! Her footwork wasn't exactly crisp like Ariane is supposed to be...but nice skate!!! MK has spoiled us with her usual perfection!!! :-) IS won BIG TIME!!! They kept on showing MK smiling and clapping!!! IS and MK were sitting at the Kiss & Cry together!!!...Very friendly and classy!!!...also showed Frank and IS's coach!!! MK didn't look all too disappointed...looked more like "wow Irina"... MK is very classy and IS at 20 looked very cute!!! :-)))))

badhairday
January 15th, 2000, 03:51 PM
Thanks Karin for the info. I can't wait to watch it tonight. I have the vcr sset at 9:00 so I just can't wait... i'm soooo psyched... too bad about Michelle though... I guess Irina really really deserves to win... wow!

Gentle
January 15th, 2000, 03:54 PM
I don't remember Michelle ever double footed on any jump before. THis is the first time. IS did great but was it her 3loop in the combos 2 1/2 Loop instead of the 3 Loop? Anyone?

Joshua
January 15th, 2000, 03:55 PM
That sounds so cool. And this is a first for me, a competition in which I'm actually looking forward to seeing the person who beat MK skate. Go Michelle and Irina! Word of advice to Irina...don't change your attitude on bit.

Joshua
January 15th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Commentary....ugh, that is one thing that I'm definitely not looking forward to hearing.

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 03:59 PM
They didn't replay the 3z/3loop...so I don't know Gentle!!! I think it is a 3loop!!! IS was SO exciting to watch!!! MK was too...but she'll have a lot of work to do!!! I'll be watching ABC with ya all!!! Get ready for the Button commentary... Go MK!!!

Rene
January 15th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Me too. Please Dick, don't ruin my good mood. At least at Nationals or Worlds he will be "talking up" MK like he always does after she "loses" a comp.

vive_la_reine
January 15th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Karin-Thanks so much for the post. These folks are down to earth and have some class and dignity. I hope this kind of camraderie sets an example and catches on for everyone. Not that they all have to be best friends, but at least appreciate when a competitor does something wonderful. Now, I have to brace myself to stomach Mr. Button. Arrggggg! Oh well, at least the skating will ge great.....

Googoo
January 15th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Dick B didn't comment on the layback. And Karin the 3 lutz you thought was weak was the one that Dick raved about. He replayed it twice. That was SO annoying that at the beginning of the program Dick said "Will Irina beat Michelle? Eh maybe next year!"

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Sorry Goo...I thought the landing was a little "lacking in her usual spiffiness"... Oh well...glad Button was enthusiastic about MK's skating!!! I know eh??? I hate it when the media crowns MK before the end of the competition...

taf2
January 15th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Googoo, I was about to say the same thing-I thought it was a very strong jump and a strong finish, with the footwork & 3toe at the end. I thought it was a very good performance, and would probably be enough to win most comps. Irina was just better today on the jumps and her presentation was excellent.

lavender
January 15th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Yeah Dick really gushed about michelle's technique. He thought that mk's jumps especially the 2nd lutz was quite superior. I thought that most of her jumps were solid but she did look tired. So did the others they showed except for irina. I know michelle felt bad. What champ likes to lose but she is so gracious. The best sportsman I've ever seen.

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 06:06 PM
I actually thought this performance of Ariane was somewhat flat (although flat for MK is still wonderful skating for the most part). I can't remember the last time I saw MK 2-foot a jump, if ever! Mr. Button was quite complimentary though. I was less impressed with Irina's skate than I expected to be based on the marks, although she clearly deserved the win here. All-in-all, it wasn't too upsetting. MK + IS seemed so pleasant together...that was nice to see.

kwanette
January 15th, 2000, 06:14 PM
I feel much better after seeing the comp...I thought Mk skated well, not as crisp as last year...but nice. Good for Irina....such an improvement...but not as big of a wow! as I expected. Yes, it was great seeing everyone get along.Didn't MK look great on her shopping trip? I love her hair, the make-up was great, and I love the way she admits her mistakes and what she needs to do. I thought it was refreshing of Irina to say that she had nothing to lose. Michelle wouldn't even blame it on grueling...kinda like the ice in Skate Canada...never blames anyone or anything but herself...she's the best!

Rene
January 15th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info, it doesn't start here for another hour. I had a feeling that Irina's presentation marks were better than MK because of the jumps, what did you guys think?

AYS
January 15th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Rene- Although Irina clearly deserved this win, I really think her presentation marks were a bit elevated because of the tech content...which is typical actually. That combined with a bit of a flat performance for Michelle. It didn't help that Michelle omitted her 3/3, 2-footed the salchow, and doubled the loop. IMO, it was only a couple of notches above the Skate Canada performance, and below MK's usual standard.

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 06:29 PM
I think they were so impressed with IS's skate that they were all excited...and so yes...the presentation had a factor from the jumps IMO!!!

MichelleFANnumber1
January 15th, 2000, 06:40 PM
After seeing the competition, I am not really upset about Michelle not winning. She seemed like she could care less if she came in last, just as long as she got out of there. Thats how all the skaters seemed to be. But thats just my opinion... I think Michelle skated very well. However, Ariane did seem to lack alot of arm movements.(she covered it up with turns and cross overs)It could of had alot more practice...but it was definitely good enough for me! Oh yea, did you see that last 3toe?! That was almost sideways in the air! lol. She looks soooo good with her hair like she has it. Ps...I REALLY wished that ABC showed her full RV program! =(

JCFrennie
January 15th, 2000, 06:58 PM
I was devastated when I first heard the results and refused to go on line afterwards. So, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. After watching to comp, I feel much better. Irina clearly deserved the win and Michelle didn't fall or make terrible mistakes. Although Michelle's jumps didn't have her usual height and she skated without that fire and energy, I don't blame her at all for skating consevatively. Unlike Irina who could let it all out without worrying about anything, Michelle on a usual day could win with that program so why take chances? I don't think Irina planned to do those two 3/3's nor expect to land them. She seemed shocked and so thrilled when she did. Irina had nothing to lose. The worst thing that could happen was end up second (even if she fell on every single jump, tripped on footwork, and crash into the boards on a sprial!!). This is another reason why this format is bad. It gives a big advantage to 2nd skater. I wonder what would have happened if Michelle skated 2nd after Irina already landed her two 3/3's. Maybe she would have tried a couple 3/3's and landed them. I am sure that Michelle has been practicing a number of 3/3's and she is just as capable of landing them as Irina is. She just hasn't put them into her programs because they aren't consistent enough. Remember a clean jump is rewarded more than a failed attempt at a harder jump. I'm kinda happy with the results of this comp. I'm glad that Michelle lost here and not at Worlds. Now that Irina has laid down her cards and shown us what she's got, Michelle can concentrate on the technical side of her skating and work to land those 3/3's with consistency. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she threw in a 3axel at Worlds. Go Michelle! I am very happy for Irina and her great comback and congratulations to her for making history with that 3lutz/3loop. Awesome! Now I just can't wait for Michelle to WOW us!

littleone4eva
January 15th, 2000, 09:19 PM
After seeing the competition, I feel that Irina deserved the win this time... congrats to her! Although, I still think that Michelle is more pleasent to watch even on an off night :) I do however, think that Michelle may have been a tad underscored and Irina a tad overscored. But the placements seem correct to me.

TripleLutz
January 15th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Last time I can think that Michelle two-footed a jump was the 3toe on the 2nd 3toe of the 3toe/3toe combo at 96 US Nationals in San Jose.

lavender
January 16th, 2000, 06:03 AM
I wasn't as upset after watching the comp. Like everyone has said irina clearly won but I thought that some of the scores were inflated due to the superior jumps she had. I don't know if I would have given a 6.0 for her jumps just like I don't know if I would have given mk a 6.0 at SA for pres. It is also clear how the french judge view michelle vs irina but I still think michelle's style and smooth skating is superior but she needs to up the tech. I just thought she was exhausted. I just want to add that all of the people who thought michelle should up her tech were right. At first i didn't think it was necessary. She needs to just in case and now she clearly knows it.

SJB
January 17th, 2000, 12:09 PM
I have to agree that this performance of Ariane wasn't as sharp as some I've seen Michelle do, but I did agree with D. Button et al that her marks were a little low. Irina's presentation was great, but I don't think that head-to-head with Michelle's best presentation that she would win on that mark. They might be close, but I still think that in that area Michelle's best presentation would edge out Irina's. BUT...boy I thought Michelle looked very tired and too thin!

sw10025
January 18th, 2000, 11:27 AM
I've never thought Lamento d'Ariane was one of Michelle's better programs, but I have to say it was pretty flat presentation wise. When she finished skating, she looked very tired and like she already knew that it wasn't going to be good enough. It certainly wasn't as good as she is capable of (although still pretty good compared to everyone else). And she looked something less than shocked when Irina won. The irony of the situation with this awful format is that while it discourages skaters in the first two rounds from taking chances, it absolutely encourages the "lesser" skater to take a lot of risks because the worst they're going to do is second. Likewise, I think Maria skated better because she couldn't improve her placement and she knew darn well absent breaking a leg there was no way Soldatova was going to beat her.