PDA

View Full Version : 4 losses in 3 years is not bad!!!

littleone4eva
January 15th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Michelle is still dominent. And EVERYONE is beatable, so people shouldn't be saying "I now believe Michelle is beatable"... who else agrees? And if you think about it, these past 4/5 years, she hasn't even been off the podium. All I can say is, WOW! We're proud of you Michelle and support ya all the way :) I think Michelle knows what is right for her, with college. Not that my opinion counts, but I think Michelle should continue college, but count down her classes for atleast the next couple of years, with Olympics and all. And I hope to see her techincal difficuly go up at Nationals and Worlds and so forth. I wonder what she wants to be when she "grows up" or what she wants to major in... okay, sorry to get ot! Anyone with other comments?

Karin
January 15th, 2000, 06:55 PM
was commentating in RV or ADITL (I forget) about that too!!!...only then it was 3!!! HEY HEY...it's 4 times winning the silvers in 3 years!!!...not losses :-)

littleone4eva
January 15th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Oh, yes, thanks for correcting me!!! Well, I'm off to go watch it now...

lavender
January 16th, 2000, 06:15 AM
continue school then i think that she should do full time in the spring/summer and maybe 1 during the season if she feels like she has to be in school during this time. I would take off the olympic year. Anyway I can't wait to find out what she decides to do.

Googoo
January 16th, 2000, 07:17 AM
4 second place finishes in 3 years is excellent!

taf2
January 16th, 2000, 10:26 AM
I only count 3-98 Olympics, 99 Worlds & 2000 GPF

littleone4eva
January 16th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Oh, are we counting 1997 or not... cuz that would actually make it more then 4, I think. Silver medal placements: 1997: (Nationals,) GPF, Worlds 1998: Olympics 1999: Worlds 2000: GPF And we don't know what'll happen the rest of this season. 6 silvers (not losses) in 4 years, it seems like... 5 if you're only counting international competitions.

SJB
January 17th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Michelle's won either gold or silver (mostly gold) in every competition she's entered since Worlds 1995, with I *think* one exception--a pro-am? can't remember--in 96, where she got bronze. So she's won either gold or silver, except for once, in every competition since 1995. Pretty dominant!

ChicaRealidad
January 17th, 2000, 07:03 PM
While it's true that Michelle has only lost 4 times in the last 3 years, doesn't it disturb you which 4 events she placed second in? Michelle is getting a bad reputation for not being able to suck it up for the big events. Nationals 97, Worlds 97, GP Final 97, Olys 98, Worlds 99, GP Final 2000 (BTW, I count 5 times). I know she can't be perfect all the time, but I'd feel better if she lost the Masters of Figure Skating or Japan Open title and won the Worlds, Olys, and GPF. That's why I've been saying that I wish she would use these lesser events as a tune up and/or pressure cooker for the big events. I still think that in the long run it's better for her try out a new 3/3 combo at the Masters and place second, than to not have enough confidence to use it at World's and place second. As someone else pointed out -- look at Tiger Woods. He rebuilt his game and while he was doing it the critics were all over him for not winning as much as he had in the past. Well, last year his game finally came together and he all but owned the PGA tour. I just can't help but think of the rewards of greater technical difficulty that Michelle could reap at the big events. Losing only 5 times is nice, but when it's 5 big events, I don't imagine she feels too good about that.

SJB
January 18th, 2000, 05:41 AM
No.

sw10025
January 18th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Chicarealidad, here's where I have to disagree with you. OK, I'll admit, if you could "pick" the events you're going to lose, Michelle could pick them better, but it doesn't work that way. Discounting the 97 season when she was having a major confidence crisis, she lost the 98 Olympics, 99 worlds and now the 2000 GP final. OK, all of the 98 season she had a major injury to contend with, yet she still skated well at the Olympics, just not quite good enough. 99 worlds she had the flu, for heaven's sake. And at this event, she put down three pretty good programs and won 2/3rds of the event, she just ran out of gas and didn't do quite well enough for the final round. Look at this another way. Take Tara, and this is not a bash. She won 97 nationals, 97 GP final, 97 worlds and 98 Olympics. Not even taking into account that several of those wins were predicated upon Michelle's mistakes, or in the case of 97 worlds, the fact that Michelle was too far back for her LP win to displace TL, since some would debate that issue, she also *lost* 98 Skate America, 98 Trophee Lalique, 98 Nationals and didn't even defend her world title in 98. Or Oksana. She won worlds in 93, but I believe lost every single eligible comp (excepting Ukranian nationals) in the 94 season, except the Olympics. Or Chen Lu. Won the 95 world championships, but I believe (?) she didn't win another GP event, worlds or Olympics after the 96 season. Or Maria. Sure, she had some unspectacular, gimme wins in Grand Prix events over the past couple of years, but she tripped on her own feet at 98 worlds and knocked herself down a place on the podium, she lost the GP final last year, lost Russian nationals and the GP final this year, and is well on her way to losing every other major event this season. Many of the ladies who have been world champion since 1992 have had far spottier competitive records than MK.

Sharon
January 18th, 2000, 01:15 PM
re: this post and many others. I knew I liked you for an excellent reason and not just for your mouth-watering food :-)!

barang
January 18th, 2000, 05:53 PM
i'm with you.