PDA

View Full Version : I just thought of something....

DianeO
January 16th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Michelle *DID* beat Irina with TRV against Irina's Carmen (in the first round) and those are both of their long programs for this season. So, my question is, will Irina try the 3lutz/3loop combo in Carmen? Does anyone know if she has been planning this combo for that program and just hadn't landed it yet?

skatingfan
January 16th, 2000, 07:03 PM
I think Irina should try both her combo, what does she has to lose again. I think MK also need to try more difficult jumps, what does she has to lose. MB is the defending champ.

kwanette
January 17th, 2000, 01:51 AM
she is going to try a different 3x3...in addition? She didn't say......Will she have as much to lose? Interesting.....

Karin
January 17th, 2000, 05:37 PM
I think IS might have done the 3/3's...at least attempted them in Carmen had it only been the 1 freeskate...JMO...

Armchairskater
January 19th, 2000, 05:41 AM
I agree with Karin. I think that saving the triple-triples for the final free program was Irina's strategy. If she had tried them earlier and fallen, she could have knocked herself out of contention for the gold. On the other hand, she already knew from Russian nationals and MB's technical problems all season that she could stay ahead of all of all the other competitors except Michelle with clean skates in the first 2 programs. Therefore, she could settle for second place in the first 2 programs, then go for the triple-triples in the final free, when she had absolutely nothing to lose. It's going to make Worlds very interesting, however. While I expect Irina will feel that she has to go for at least one triple-triple to get the gold, she will be in major danger of falling. However, that was also probably part of her strategy in debuting her triple-triples when she had at least two of higher difficulty than triple toe-triple-toe, because she can try to make up for a fall on the first by throwing in the second. I don't expect that she would go for the second if she landed the first successfully, however, because she would have too much to lose, especially if she had a triple-double combo scheduled for later in the program. Of course, if Michelle skated first and whether she skated cleanly and vibrantly complete with triple toe-triple toe or was able to step up to the plate with a harder triple-triple or not would undoubtably alter Irina's strategy somewhat.

SJB
January 19th, 2000, 06:10 AM
I just have to get in one final slap at this format (although I'm sure you already know this)---as long as Irina placed 1st or 2nd in the first LP, she only needed to place 4th to 6th (depending) to be assured of the gold/silver. That's yet another reason to play it safe and not risk falling on 3/3's in the first round. Irina's strategy for Worlds will be interesting to see--lots of complicated things to consider.

kwantasy
January 21st, 2000, 12:52 PM
Hi, first I wanted to say that I this is my first post, although I've been a lurker for quite sometime now. Second, I want to say that I hope Irina DOES land both 3/3 combos at Worlds, but, in the same scenario, I hope Michelle wins. I would think that Michelle would prefer most is skating her best, technically and artistically, and beating Irina's great 3/3s and improved presentation. IMO, Michelle can do it.

aries2
January 21st, 2000, 12:58 PM
Haven't thought of that. I truly feel that Michelle can pull off 3lutz/3toe and 3toe/3toe in one program..Hope she goes for broke at Worlds!!!

Lyrangelca
January 21st, 2000, 08:14 PM
IMO the format of this year's GPF really placed the skaters at risk. Two long programs within two days in addition to a short program really was too much. I watched the final programs and noticed that quite a few of the skaters looked tired. Frank Carroll even suggested that this type of format was dangerous to the health of the skaters. He made this comment of course before Michelle even skated. But staying true to her champion-like attitude Michelle was gracious and didn't use the format as an excuse for not winning the gold. She complimented Irina's performance and acknowledged the fact that she needed to up her technical ability if she is going to competitive at Nationals and Worlds. But keep in mind, just like Irina, she really has nothing to lose at Worlds or even at Nationals. Like Michelle says so often, she doesn't think of a title as being hers to win or retain. She just goes out and does the best she can. A silver at the GPF is not a loss to me, just another stepping stone of experience for her to learn from.

TripleLutz
January 21st, 2000, 08:33 PM
In the 1st round at the GPF...didn't Irina play it safe? I have her doing her opening 3lutz/2toe and the 3salchow/2loop combinations and a 3loop and if I remember her program format correctly then those were her only combinations. 1st ROUND: Irina Slutskaya: 3lutz/2toe, 3salchow/2loop, 3lutz, 3loop, 2axel, 3flip, 3toe (2nd place after 1st Round) Michelle Kwan: 2axel, 3lutz/2toe, 3toe/2toe, 3salchow, 3flip, 2loop, 3lutz, 3toe (1st place after 1st Round) 2nd ROUND: Irina Slutskaya: 3lutz/2toe, 2axel, 3flip (2nd place after 2nd Round) Michelle Kwan: 2axel, 3lutz/2toe, 3toe (1st place after 2nd Round) SUPER FINAL: Michelle Kwan: 3lutz/2toe, 3toe/2toe, 2loop, 3flip, 2axel, 3salchow(two-foot), 3lutz, 3toe Irina Slutskaya: 3lutz/3loop, 3salchow/3loop, 3toe, 3flip, 3toe/2toe And at Worlds, won't they still have to do TWO DIFFERENT long programs? One in the Qualifying and the other for the free skate, right?

barang
January 22nd, 2000, 11:44 AM
no doubt that michelle can pull off 3xltz/3xt and 3xt/3xt given enough time. as we all know that her time now is very compressed. but we'll wait and see' after all she and coach frank with the support of her family knows what to do. i really don't know what to expect at the worlds. if michelle skate first before irina s. or maria b. will she put in a 3x/3x? what if irina s. or maria b. skated first before michelle, will they both put in 3x/3xs? with all the talk about adding 3x/3x combo in women, michelle doesn't have to overwork herself. she can play it smart just by polishing her 3xt/3xt and maybe, just maybe instead of 3xltz/2xt make it 3xltz/3xt. now i don't know what 3x/3x she has been practicing, but with her artistry, clean and technically superior jumps, she has the advantage going in to any competitions.

attyfan
January 22nd, 2000, 01:28 PM
I think that IS might be more interested in outdoing MB than in outdoing MK. After all, MK never gave an interview that was taken by many as accusing competitors of a criminal offense. If so, she might not want to take too many risks at Worlds. In all honesty, I think that IS is the best thing to happen to MK in a long time -- because MK always skates better when she has real competition.

taf2
January 23rd, 2000, 12:34 PM
barang, I have never heard of Maria doing a 3/3 in competition, unless she did it at the Russian nationals. I don't consider her a threat to a healthy Michelle or Irina. She's had her 15 mins.

Lyrangelca
January 23rd, 2000, 01:36 PM
I totally understand your point. I do think Irina played it safe in the first two rounds. But the point I brought up about the format, how it differs from worlds is that the short program is not done the same day the long program is. Susie Wynne or maybe it was Leslie Vissar who said that many of the skaters spent the remaining hours before the long program resting or "powering down" as Elvis Stojko put it. I also believe she said that Michelle had spent the last few hours curled up in the corner with a blanket resting. That is the part I think is unhealthy. Your body needs a certain amount of time to recooperate after expending so much energy. That is a medical fact.Many sports doctors have said they are seeing a rise in injuries from figure skating that rivals that of pro football. Michelle though, does know what she has to do get through nationals and worlds. I think its going to work in her advantage if she goes in as the underdog. She is a true champion. She would never blame a loss on her being ill or tired, unlike those in the media. And I think that this second place finish is an experience she will learn from.