PDA

View Full Version : Maria working on 3axel...

Karin
October 30th, 1999, 10:27 AM
On Magic On Ice on CBC...they said Maria is working on the 3axel... and intending to go to Sal Lake... So many people are working on that jump!!! Angela Derochie of Canada...has landed it in practice!!! Go MK...go MK...

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 11:08 AM
I believe jkovner said he's seen Michelle land the 3 axel in practice, too. As for Maria, I think she'd be better off working on her loop and lutz instead of worrying about a 3 axel. She's going to need them more, and given what a bundle of nerves she is, what's the likelihood that she would actually land the 3 axel properly in competition if she can't even manage to stay on her feet on some of the rest of her jumps. . . [On second thought, go ahead, Maria. Try a quad. Really screw up your jump timing and spend all the time you like practicing high risk maneuvers and ignoring basic technique. :-) ]

Karin
October 30th, 1999, 11:09 AM
sw, U R so funny!!!...

dreamr
October 30th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Wow, Maria is planning on going to the next Olympics!!!!1 She is what 27 right now and the Olympics are three years away! She will be thirty! Hey maybe she can pull it off but then again maybe not. I also agree that she should work on some of her easier triples because she can't land them without falling much less do I think she can land a triple axel. JMO

Googoo
October 30th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Wow 30...Uhhh and people say MICHELLE will be "old" by the OLY! Pa-leeease!!!! Yes I have heard that MK has landed 3 axel's in practice. I hope she tries it in competition one day! (AND LANDS IT!)

skatingfan
October 30th, 1999, 01:11 PM
She is able to complete the 3.5 rev in air,but has a tough time checking out and land the jump.

Shallah
October 30th, 1999, 01:32 PM
is also working on the 3 axel as well. Shallah, who has her fingers & toes crossed for Michelle to land one in competition some day!

Rene
October 30th, 1999, 02:29 PM
Won't the olys only be 2 years away? ITA, let Maria practice the 3axel to her hearts content!

ChicaRealidad
October 30th, 1999, 02:34 PM
I'm not a Butyrskaya fan, so this strikes me as funny. Frequently when I see her jumps I cringe because they seem so wild and the landings are very shaky. I'd think she'd spend more time trying to work the kinks out of her jumping style before she started working on the triple axel. Then again, she may feel that with the current crop of youngsters she's going to need that triple axel to still be competitive in 2002.

Willowdale
October 30th, 1999, 03:21 PM
If she is really working on 3axel, her 2axel will suffer a lot... By the way, I heard that Lisa Kwon was planning to master 3axel. I think we will see many female skaters trying 3axel in competitions.

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 03:24 PM
Karin, as I always like to say, if I weren't meanspirited, irreverent and sarcastic, I'd have no personality at all. :-) Snicker, snicker. skatingfan, you're comment about MK's problem checking her landing interests me. What is the source of your information? Have you observed this? Have you asked her about this? Did you read this somewhere? (I'm not doubting you, merely curious.) Maria working on the 3 axel sort of reminds me of Tonya Harding, circa 1991. She had focused so much on the axel, worked on it to the exclusion of other elements of her programs that needed work (artistry, choreography, presentation and audience rapport skills, line, extension, position). When she landed the 3axel in the LP, you could just tell she felt she had become world champion, and then she lost concentration and messed up the next four jumps, if I remember correctly. Kristi Yamaguchi ended up blowing her out of the water with a much more well rounded program. Tonya then spent the next couple of years veering back and forth between counting on it to hold her up higher in the placements than she would otherwise have been or (when she was too out of shape or practice) vowing that she had become more artistic and didn't need it. anymore. As for a 30 year old Maria using a 3 axel to hold off the young guns, heck she's going to need more than that just to hold on to her Russian or European titles. If Irina Slutskaya's performance and improvement is any indication, like Tonya, Maria's gonna need a collapsible baton or two to keep on top....

littlepebbles1
October 30th, 1999, 05:27 PM
Cause the title of her post said "MB's 3axel".

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 06:40 PM
you're right. I typed MK instead of MB out of force of habit. But I'd still be curious to know the answer. . .

AngelB
October 30th, 1999, 08:46 PM
I say go for it. Of course if it takes her as long to land a 3 axel as it did to actually complete one semi-clean program, her grandchildren will be there applauding and leading the cheers!

jkovner
October 30th, 1999, 09:21 PM
I was on a session the other day with Rory Burghart and she is close--pity she's not an amateur. I think Michelle will someday be able to get it consistently. Consistency is what all skaters lack with that jump. Many people can land it here and there, but not consistently.

ChicaRealidad
October 30th, 1999, 09:28 PM
AngelB....I'm ROLTFLMAO re: MB's grandkids applauding her triple axel. I have to agree. I say good for her that she's stuck to being an amateur as long as she has. On the other hand...she needs a reality pill. I'm very surprised she didn't go professional after last season and cash in on her World Championship title. I don't mean to offend any Butryskaya fans out there, but the likelihood that she'll repeat is pretty darned slim. As others have mentioned, if MK doesn't whoop the socks off her, she's got tons of competition from within her own skating federation.