PDA

View Full Version : KWAN WINS GOLD!!!

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 09:24 PM
According to the USFSA web site, Michelle won and got another 6.0!!!

Rene
October 30th, 1999, 09:29 PM
Are you surprised that she got a 6.0 with a fall? I wonder what happened to Sarah and Angela? I wonder if Angela will ever get it together.

wonder
October 30th, 1999, 09:32 PM
that her LP is extremely well choreographed!!! Good news.

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 09:37 PM
Apparently several of us posted the results at the exact same time. 1.    Kwan 2.    Soldatova 3.    Sokolova 4.    Hughes 7.    Nikodinov Poor Sarah Hughes must be pretty upset right now. As for Michelle getting a 6.0 with a fall, the only way I can see that happening is if she tripped on some non-essential element, say caught her toe pick or something during some steps, nothing crucial, so the judge could overlook it. I've been a rabid Michelle fan since she was 12, but I just can't see her getting a 6.0 for presentation if she fell on a jump. Maybe if she just stumbled or had a slightly funny landing, I could see that. Or maybe her very first or last element, where it didn't affect the program as a whole. But an outright fall? I can't see any judge risking the ridicule or possible inquiry for that score. A 5.9 probably wouldn't have drawn any comment. Anybody know which judge it was?

wonder
October 30th, 1999, 09:39 PM
that judge, he/she will be famous from now on. ;) ;)

vive_la_reine
October 30th, 1999, 10:04 PM
If Maria could earn a 5.9 at the Masters with 2 falls, then why can't Michelle earn a 6.0 with 1???

littleone4eva
October 30th, 1999, 10:06 PM
Heck, Michelle should get a 6.1, if that's really the case! LoL.

mano
October 30th, 1999, 10:09 PM
And I totally agree. With the way the judges give 5.9's to MB for falling twice, MK should get at least 3 or 4. And if she doesn't fall at all MK should, of-course get 6.0's across the board. Actually, the real reason MK got a six for tonight and last night? Littlepebbles and I started our Kwanorian chants facing Lake Arrowhead (soon to be El Segundo) and said "Em kay mus ta ge ta sics, em kay mus ta ge ta sics..."

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 10:13 PM
Well, I could see the reason for that (even if I don't agree with it). Essentially, the Masters and Keri Lotion were "pro-am" or "fluffier" competitions. The judging rules are not as strict. There were no mandatory technical deductions for the short programs, for example. There was a limit on the number of triples in the free program (three for ladies, I believe). Those competitions are not really considered "serious" competitions, they are much more lightly regarded, the marks in those types of competitions are almost always better than in regular competitions, and certainly, nobody is going to subject a judge to as much scrutiny for the marks he or she gives in those kinds of competitions. Skate America is a very prestigious eligible competition, OTOH, with a lot more oversight, rules, regulations, and scrutiny. A 6.0 on a program with a fall might conceivably trigger either a referee or an ISU inquiry into the judge's marks.

vive_la_reine
October 30th, 1999, 10:18 PM
Hey--next time, let me know when the chant begins! I would love to join you! You crack me up.... I'm so happy Michelle did well, in spite of the fall. She is really putting herself through a lot right now. Let's keep our fingers crossed that she takes care of herself. I want her to do well at college and on the ice. Hey, Mano, can you come up with a chant facing UCLA? How about something like.... "Em kay mus ta ge ta fur pint ohhh, em kay mus ta ge ta fur point ohhhh....."

MarcellaMichelle
October 30th, 1999, 10:21 PM
My apologies to all you Kwan chanters. I must take full responsibility for MK's fall since I forgot to watch the rules and had KFC for dinner Friday night. Oops!!

vive_la_reine
October 30th, 1999, 10:34 PM
Just don't let it happen again, especially during the Worlds! LOL!!!

Scout
October 30th, 1999, 10:40 PM
I just read a Reuters article on AOL Sports which said that Michelle did six perfect triples and fell on the seventh, a flip. Maybe it's a good thing she didn't put it in the SP after all. <G> Suzanne

mano
October 30th, 1999, 10:40 PM
Yup that's the spirit!!! Yes, Ginnysmith, we'll definitely submit that chant to the high priestesses. We have to make sure it has their blessings before we add it to the Kwan Book of Chants. Yipee!!! Marcella is BACK!!! Where have you been hiding. Unfortunately, you have two strikes against you at the moment. Not only did you eat the dreaded KFC, you forgot that we were supposed to be FASTING on Friday too!!! As punishment you have to make-up the Act of Kwantrition (since we don't have any at the moment, apologies.)

vive_la_reine
October 30th, 1999, 10:47 PM
Perhaps we can get Marcella to travel to UCLA and confiscate the sub-woofers that are depriving Michelle of her much needed sleep! What do you think?

MarcellaMichelle
October 30th, 1999, 10:51 PM
Hey Mano! I have been hiding myself under a stack of midterms. I thought it was bad as a student when I had to take them. Now I have to grade three classes worth of them. I guess I'm not exactly the most popular person on campus anymore (like a history professor ever is) LOL. Act of Kwantrician My fellow Kwanatics I have wronged you I accept the error of my ways I bow before you in humbleness I am not worthy I ask for your forgiveness I freely accept my punishment of three face-down spread eagles in front of at least ten people at the local ice rink while wearing Kurt Browning's "Brick House" costume I will watch Cherie's tape ten times and say ten "Lyra Angelica's" Please accept these humble acts and accept me back into the grace of Kwan! Sorry-I'm too tired to do better besides my happy dance when I got the results wore me out!

Kara
October 30th, 1999, 10:52 PM
What do you think? I'm guessing it was something very early in the program that became forgettable enough by the end that a judge felt s/he could still reward MK with a 6.0. I think it was the double axel or whatever jump she did next...but not the combo. Maybe the loop. Yeah, I bet it was the axel or the loop. Any word on this yet?

yingshan
October 30th, 1999, 10:56 PM
And I give my blessing to the UCLA chant. Just add bruin in there some where. Marcella, how could you? You have to face UCLA and chant everyday for 10 days! Hmm...the flip at the end? That's an interesting order of jumps. She probably ran out of gas by then, with the high altitude. I still think she should do the 3 F in SP. It sounds like both programs' choreographies are great. I can't wait for the telecast! Love the Gazette article. Wonder how other skaters did.

wonder
October 30th, 1999, 10:59 PM
a flip. She did six perfect triples. There was an article cited in FSW. The 6.0 is from the Austrian judge. Does AUS stand for Austria? And AUT for Australia?

mano
October 30th, 1999, 10:59 PM
Loved it, we'll take it Marcella!!! You're forgiven in my book!!! Ginnysmith, great idea. Better write to our fellow Kwanistas at UCLA to do the damage...er, I mean good deed, yeah that's it. Kara, I believe Scout said MK fell on her last jump (the 3 flip). Imagine, she put in a flip in the end. I wonder what the rest of her jumps were and in what order. Did she land a triple/triple? I need reviews!!!

vive_la_reine
October 30th, 1999, 11:00 PM
OK, Yingshan. How about... "Em kay mus ta ge ta fur pint ohhh, GOH BREW ENS!! Em kay mus ta ge ta fur pint ohhhh.....GOH BREW ENS"

mano
October 30th, 1999, 11:06 PM
(Okay, who rigged the voting booth. Remember people, HP Yingshan was the one who brought the KFC instead of the live chicken and thus '99 World's results.) Yingshan and Wonder beat me to the punch to answer Kara's question. Wowzers!!! Great save Ginnysmith!!!

yingshan
October 30th, 1999, 11:22 PM
that's more like it, GinnySmith. You have my full blessing now. :-)

yingshan
October 30th, 1999, 11:30 PM
Are you accusing the High Priest, Crispy?!

AYS
October 31st, 1999, 01:54 AM
reflects a combination of factors: she skated an extremely high-quality program, despite the fall; that judge had given out a high mark to a previous skater; or the judge felt the need to leave room between a prevous skater and MK for skaters to follow; or the judge blinked and missed the fall. Remember, it's all about placement, not absolute score. wonder, AUT is Austria, AUS is Australia

Willowdale
October 31st, 1999, 02:13 AM
I'm so proud of You!!! Go Michelle! I'm extremely glad to hear that MK's got 6.0 despite of a fall. Now, she has total 81 6.0s, doesn't she? By the way, does anyone here know what jump MK fell on?

wonder
October 31st, 1999, 03:41 AM
According to Jenny's well-documented 6.0 board, this will be her (at least) 90th 6.0!!! And, 6th for strict international comps. AYS, thanks for the info!

jkovner
October 31st, 1999, 04:52 AM
I think MK is probably the only person in the entire figure skating world who could fall and still earn a 6.0. Incidentaly the jump order is: Double Axel, Triple Lutz-Double Toe, Triple Toe-Triple Toe,Triple Salchow, Triple Flip, Triple Loop, Triple Lutz. As you see the triple flip is towards the end of the program, making it much, much more difficult.

DianeO
October 31st, 1999, 06:05 AM
I just read in an article that Sarah fell three times :( One was on her double axel (from the USFSA quotes at the press conference). Its still a pretty good placement for her first ever GP competition :) And it kind of makes me think that maybe if she had skated clean, she would have gotten a medal, so its good to think that the judges are going to give her the marks she deserves! :)

Googoo
October 31st, 1999, 07:10 AM
WOOOOW Michelle! So proud of ya! As for SH goes-- 4th isn't that bad. I know she can improve even more! Go SH!

littleone4eva
October 31st, 1999, 07:15 AM
hhhmm.... The article said she fell on her 7th jump, the 3flip. But that was her 5th jump, according to Jkovner's post... Jkovner, you meant that was the order, right? Oh well, I'm glad that Michelle is challenging herself!

NannyMa777
October 31st, 1999, 07:31 AM
For those who are wondering how Michelle could have received a 6.0 in her program despite falling on her 3-flip - I attended Skate America, and her Red Violin program is absolutely exquisite. I have been a fan of Michelle's from day one and it has always taken me a few times seeing her new programs to really get a feel for the music. But I have to tell you, despite the fall, everything else was just perfect. She deserved the 6.0 for presentation. If she hadn't fallen, it's possible her technical marks could have been close to all 5.9's, and she possibly might have received a couple more 6.0's for presentation. With regards to her 3-toe loop in her SP, I'll say this. It's her first major competition of the season. This was probably a feeling-out competition for her and Frank to see how she would handle the pressures of competing and school. There is plenty of time for her to up the technical skills, but IMHO, she doesn't need the flip to be competitive. Her salchow was so solid, as was her loop, that combined with her presentation skills this year, she could win easily with a solo jump that's less than a flip. Again, this is just my humble opinion, based on what I saw this weekend. She was awesome.

yingshan
October 31st, 1999, 09:27 AM
I've been waiting for an eyewitness account for days! You can't just file this brief report and run. You need to tell us more!!! Was it the 3F she fell on? Was it the last 3 jump she did or the 5th? What other in-between moves she did in her LP and SP? What did other skaters do in terms of jumps and programs? Tell us more!!!

littleone4eva
October 31st, 1999, 10:21 AM
What were her tech merits? I was also wondering if she feel on her 3flip or her last jump, the 3lutz? Isn't exhibitions today??? I want a report on that!

NannyMa777
October 31st, 1999, 10:26 AM
Hello! It was her 3-flip that she fell on, but it wasn't her last jump. Her fall happened right in front of us, but it happened so fast, and she was up so fast that if I had blinked, I might have missed it. If I can recall, it seems to me that she landed a 3-loop and a second 3-lutz after she fell. In fact, the 3-lutz was at the end of her program. Her 3/3 combo was awesome! Her footwork was fast and difficult looking. Her layback was much, much better as where her spins. I think she took it to heart to improve her skating and to give the audience a variety of programs, and it worked. For those nay-sayers on the other boards who think Michelle is a slow skater, let me tell you. She was cruising. Michelle just simply glowed throughout the competition. Her SP is really different from anything she's done it the past. I really like it. She did a 3-toe for her solo jump in the short program, but I have a feeling that by the time the season is in full swing, she will have upped her difficulty somewhat. Her short program dress is beautiful. It looked so much more stunning on her in person than it did in the pictures. The red is a deep, deep red, and really fit her and the music perfectly. It was great seeing two totally different styles of programs from her. I was able to get some pictures of her and several other skaters, along with their autographs. Michelle is truly the cream of the crop, and it was an unbelievable honor and experience to see this wonderful young lady compete in person. It is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

yingshan
October 31st, 1999, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the report! :-)