PDA

View Full Version : MK wins w/6.0 despite fall in the long

Shallah
October 30th, 1999, 09:31 PM
<A HREF=http://www.foxsports.com/wires/pages/20/spt126320.sml >http://www.foxsports.com/wires/pages/20/spt126320.sml </A> Michelle Kwan had a pretty good skate, too, getting a 6.0 for artistry despite a fall. She easily captured her fourth title at this first major international competition of the season. "Going into this I was not 100 percent ready,'' said Kwan, the two-time world champion and 1998 Olympic silver medalist who is a freshman at UCLA. "With each practice, I got a little better and settled down into the competition.'' Kwan heads back to school for a few days, then on to Skate Canada with the knowledge she can balance college and competition. WoW! I wonder which judge gave her the mark! Her program must have been GOOOOOOOOOOD to get a 6.0 with a fall!

dreamr
October 30th, 1999, 09:38 PM
That is what I think Shallah! Imagine the possibilities of that program if she skated cleanly to it! There would be 6.0 across the entire board!! I can't wait till skate Cananda!

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 09:42 PM
Shallah, we're assuming the fall was on a jump. Probable, but not necessarily the only kind of fall. Maybe she tripped on some footwork a la Maria B. at 98 worlds. Embarrassing, but less damaging to your marks when you trip or fall on a relatively meaningless element. Or maybe it was the very first or very last element, so it really didn't affect the feel of the program. Or maybe she really just stumbled or had an odd landing, rather than an outright fall. Anybody know the exact scores? The ordinals? Which judge gave her the 6.0?

Shallah
October 30th, 1999, 09:47 PM
<A HREF=http://sports.excite.com/gen/news/?story=/news/aps/991031/skate-america >http://sports.excite.com/gen/news/?story=/news/aps/991031/skate-america </A> same article now the usfsa comments: <A HREF=http://www.usfsa.org/skateamerica99/news/ladies1030.html >http://www.usfsa.org/skateamerica99/news/ladies1030.html </A> Michelle Kwan (RUS) 1st place "Because of the altitude, I just rested all day after this morning's practice. I just stayed in the hotel room." "Coming into the competition, I wasn't 100 percent ready. But I was getting better with each practice. "I think we wanted to take everyone off guard with two different programs." Frank Carroll: "We're pleased with the artistic mark. They were outstanding, especially for falling. I think it shows they appreciated the artistry of the program." UMmmmmm since when is MK from (Rus)???????? Tho having MK the RUS skater win in America disproves Maria B's comment at Keri lotion ;-

wonder
October 30th, 1999, 09:54 PM
Michelle Kwan (RUS) 1st place I did not notice that RUS thing when I first read it. LOL!!! Who will be the next Russian? Sarah, Timmy or Michael?

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 10:01 PM
How Maria Butyrskaya and her coach must be pulling their hair out and gnashing their teeth over THIS one?!?! Michelle falls and still gets a 6.0!!!

littleone4eva
October 30th, 1999, 10:04 PM
it's her debut program... no "I skate better at the end of the year" excuse!

sw10025a
October 30th, 1999, 10:05 PM
I just noticed that neither Soldatova nor Sokolova said anything that was quoted. That's very odd. All the other press conferences featured the top three skaters. Didn't they show up? Or did they storm off in anger over the marks? I wonder...

Shallah
October 30th, 1999, 10:25 PM
<a href=http://www.gazette.com/daily/spts4.html>Kwan reigns supreme again</a> I REALLY like these articles at this newspaper!! I am going to write them and thank them for the Excellent FS coverage :-) Also they are the only ones with any pictures besides the USFSA....

dreamr
October 30th, 1999, 10:29 PM
I definitly liked this article! I have been noticing that Tim and Michelle are quite close. They seem to be good friends.

Kara
October 30th, 1999, 10:43 PM
great little article shallah, thanks:)! i saw the results 1st at fsw and was really happpy and then upset seeing that she fell...but it makes me feel better that it could've been the altitude and being a little too extra tired to pull off all her triples...i guess the altitude did more damage to many of the other skaters in all disciplines than it did to MK. i'm thrilled that the program was received so well, though. i'm so thankful that SA is on tomorrow, i don't think i'd be able to wait much longer to see these 2 new programs:)! go MK:)! (sorry this is so poorly written, i'm tired!)

Sandy
October 30th, 1999, 11:13 PM
I really liked this article. maybe someone can post it up at fsw to show to those who complains about michelle not trying to reinvent herself...apparently mk knows that she is seen by many people every year, and despite her hectic schedule she is still able to come up with two great unique programs!! also, i thought the quote about michelle falling and bouncing right back up in case the judges were snoozing or sleeping was very funny!! had a huge laugh :0) I mean who would fall asleep when mk skates??? SAndy

Shallah
October 30th, 1999, 11:18 PM
fell on but it could be the altitude contributing to it - Yags had to have oxygen after his short program - or it could have been something else. OOOOO I can't wait to see it for myself cuz this program HAS to be GOOOOOOOOD to get such high scores with a mistake!

yingshan
October 30th, 1999, 11:26 PM
That snoozing comment was funny. Our girl does have a great sense of humor. Great article. I'm going to post it on rssif.

mano
October 30th, 1999, 11:31 PM
was a great article. Enjoyed reading it. I'm stoked, I can't wait until it airs tomorrow. Wonder, first Nikodinov at Keri and now MK. Hilarious. Next they'll have MB skating for USA on US ice.

sw10025a
October 31st, 1999, 06:25 AM
She fell on her triple flip, apparently, which they placed much later in the program. Which could be a really good thing -- she'll get used to doing the flip when her legs are tired, so hopefully she can do a good one in the SP! Poor Sarah Hughes, though. That must have been painful and embarrassing. sw "What's that grinding noise? Oh, that's Maria's teeth!" 10025

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 06:29 AM
I know Sarah fell on the 2axel...but what happened??? What hurt??? Huh??? About MK...Aren't U just so impressed??? Yes!!! Ah!!! The fall on the 3flip...glad the judges recognized the difficulty of the program... Most skaters would have gotten all the jumps away in the beginning of the program...MK is so special...

vive_la_reine
October 31st, 1999, 06:31 AM
"What's that grinding noise? " I feel better now, knowing where the noise is coming from. By the way, thanks for the clarification on the level of judging versus the Masters. Can you explain something else to me? What is the meaning of the "FP" column in the placements? I noticed that MK was 1.5 and the next nearest was the second place at 4.0. Now, since Michelle was in first place, I can deduce that the 1.5 is better than the 4.0. HOWEVER, isn't that quite a distance between the 2 numbers? Does that mean that Michelle is that far above the rest of the field?? Thanks in advance...

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 06:37 AM
Last year...my friends and I sat down and tried to use skateres' marks and the program % toward final marks to calculate placements!!!... those 1.5, 4.0,... are derived from there!!! I forget... Um... say sp 33&...lp67%... then MK gets 1point...but say Julia was 4th in sp...=4 x .33 + 2 x .66 = 2.7 ... something like that!!! I'm not sure!!!

sw10025a
October 31st, 1999, 07:21 AM
Karin, I think it was, one of the articles I read said Sarah Hughes fell three times, including the double axel. Ginny Smith, I can explain the numbers in the columns. Here goes. The SP (short program) counts for one third of the results; the LP (long program) counts for two thirds toward the FP (final placement). The way they do this mathematically is by assigning each skater .5 x their placement in the SP and 1.0 x their placement in the LP to determine their FP. Kwan scored 1st in both programs, so she gets .5 for the SP and 1.0 for the LP, which adds up to 1.5. Soldatova, on the other hand, finished 4th in the SP (4 x .5 = 2.0) and 2nd in the LP (2 x 1.0 = 2.0), and 2.0 + 2.0 = 4.0. See? Now if there is a tie between two skaters or teams, which I think happened in the pairs or ice dance competition, but can't remember who, the nod goes to the skaters who had the better free program or free dance results. If you try to calculate for worlds, however, the numbers are adjusted, because the qualifier will be 20%, SP 30% and LP 50% of the final placement. So the relevant factors would be placement times .2, .3 and .5. Of course what this all means is that I spend way, way too much of my time figuring this nonsense out.

vive_la_reine
October 31st, 1999, 07:32 AM
I really appreciate the explanation. No, I don't think you spend too much time figuring this out. It's a good thing to know more about the judging so our statements about Michelle can be taken seriously. (Seemingly little things, such as what does AUS really mean, can lead to embarrassment and ridicule, hee hee...) Since I am skating myself now, I'm trying to upgrade my understanding of how all of this works, so I appreciate your insights and explanation. Thanks again! p.s. by the way...I gradutated from college a long, long time ago with a degree in math, so this all makes sense....