PDA

View Full Version : The victory was absolutely ESSENTIAL!!!...significant!!! 4 M

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 06:24 AM
I think last night's victory at Skate America is one of the most fulfilling for MK!!! It was very important for MK to skate well...and despite not being 100%...knew the the judges appreciate all that she has done!!! MK can now calm down...realizing that she made a correct and intelligent decision!!! MK now can recognize that going to UCLA will not jepoardize her skating career...only that she will be looked at as a hero even more!!! Sweet victory!!! Good luck at scholl MK!!!

sw10025a
October 31st, 1999, 06:29 AM
however, I also agree with Frank that she's not going to be able to take a full class load every quarter. Three classes is a full load, and the UC system allows you to reduce your class load if you are working a number of hours per week. I guess Michelle's gonna have to get a note from the USFSA. . . :-)

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 06:33 AM
Nodding my head sw!!!

vive_la_reine
October 31st, 1999, 06:43 AM
I would like to see Michelle ease up a bit and not run herself into the ground. My son is a full time Junior at a small college in the Northwest. He played football the first 2 years and took 3 units AND he lived in the dorms the first year. It was tough, and he didn't have to drive to the practice field or fly across the country to a different time zone to compete. In his second year, he found a room at a home of an elderly couple close to the campus. He shares the top floor with 2 other college students. They have a kitchen, bath, and living room and it is much quieter, more conducive to study, and costs about as much as the dorms. I think it would be a good idea for Michelle to try something similar. It's a nice compromise between the dorm torture and isolating yourself in your own home or apartment away from other students. While I appreciate Michelle wanting to experience a "normal" college existence, when you think about it, as long as she is skating, it will be anything but normal. She needs to give herself a break. Either that, or the comic books are going to have to adopt a new Super Woman!!!

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 07:42 AM
Ginny... I totally understand!!! I was at res for a while... now I commute back and forth downtown to school!!! The commuting I guess...is like MK driving back and forth for skating!!! It is so exhausting!!! LOL...how does mK do it??? Super woman she is!!!

vive_la_reine
October 31st, 1999, 07:54 AM
I honestly don't know how Michelle does it. I could not have done it even at her age. In the dark ages, when I went to school, I had to commute 25 miles each way. I managed to graduate with honors, but I had no life outside of school. (I did get married during my Junior year, though, so I guess that was some sort of life, huh?) Anyway, in earlier articles, it sounded as if Michelle did horribly on that quiz. According to the NY times, she got a B!! A B!!! She needs to adopt my son's attitude. My deal with him is that I want to see at least Bsssss. Why? He needs to maintain a B average to hang onto his academic scholarship money. Without that, I can't afford to keep him in school. He was an A student in high school and gets a mix of As and Bs in college and he doesn't stress himself out if he gets a B. AND he seems to be enjoying himself, which is the important thing. His life outside of school is part time work as a campus security guard, part time Kung Fu student/teacher. Sooooo...Michelle, I join Frank & all of us here at the MK Forum in telling you to "Chill out! You are doing fine and juggling so much more than the average mortal...take it easy..."

ChicaRealidad
October 31st, 1999, 08:24 AM
Not to throw a damper on things, but I think it's still much to early to tell how MK is going to adapt to college life and skating competively. This is the first competition of the year. How many more has she got to go? Granted, this is a good start for her, but it's still very much a learning process for her. I just don't want to see her set herself up for a big disappointment down the line. She seems to have a very level head and now that she knows she can do both, she's still going to have to search for the perfect balance between the two. As Frank Carroll pointed out in the USFSA press conference, Michelle may find that 12 credits is too much and cut back to 8. She doesn't have to take a full load each semester, especially since she can do the summer semester. So let's give the girl some breathing room and not put too much pressure on her to go the traditional route of the normal student and take a full load each semester. I know she wants to be "just" the average student, but whether she likes it or not....she is NOT just the average student. This is definitely a period of great growth for her and hopefully she'll take things at her own pace and not feel like she's letting down her fans (or anyone else) if things get too overwhelming and she decides to cut back. Afterall, she's only human.

sw10025a
October 31st, 1999, 10:24 AM
Heh, MIchelle can take less than a full course load and still be an average student! When I attended UC Berkeley, you could take as little as six units per semester if you worked something like 20 hours a week. I and a lot of other students took advantage of this provision and it was a lifesaver: sure, it took me five years to graduate instead of four (actually the average then at Berkeley was five, now its six, I believe) but I took an enormous part of the financial burden off my parents' shoulders and managed to graduate without a penny of school debt. So, Michelle, if you need a little longer to graduate, don't worry, everybody else is in the same boat. I did also chuckle when I read that the quiz she had been so wound up about was just a B instead of an A. From the earlier press snippets, I had assumed it was something disastrous, too! Sort of reminds me when I was at Berkeley and was a student employee in one of the departments: students would come in distressed and having cardiac arrests over the fact that they'd gotten an A- instead of an A on a midterm or arguing over 2 points on a quiz. All of you students, and this includes Michelle, you need to be a little easier on yourselves. I'm all for hard work, striving to excel, and doing one's best, but don't beat yourselves up when you fall a little short of expectations!

Karin
October 31st, 1999, 10:27 AM
I might not have gotten the point across... I mean how PSYCHOLOGICALLY... mentally...Michelle Kwan can TRUST herself!!!

Rene
November 1st, 1999, 03:12 PM
I've wondered a few times why she had to take a full load.