PDA

View Full Version : Europeans

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 08:27 AM
For those who are interested in following Europeans as well as US Nationals, Vienna is 6 hours ahead of east coast and 9 hours ahead of west coast time. Information can be found at: <A HREF=http://www.euroskating2000.com/schedule.html >http://www.euroskating2000.com/schedule.html </A> Please note that the dates listed are in European format (dd-mm-yy), not what we Americans are used to (mm-dd-yy). Therefore 07.02.2000 does not mean the men's qualifying skate happened last week, but Feb. 7, 2000. Incidentally, while browsing through this site, I stumbled upon the designated hotels for the officialdom, skaters and press. The ISU officials and judges are assigned to a 5 star hotel, while the skaters are coached are designated a 4 star hotel. Shows you what and whom the ISU places the most value on, doesn't it?

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Incidentally, the results of the first qualifying skate round are in. Yagudin won easily. Plushenko will skate in the second round later today. <A HREF=http://www.canoe.ca/SlamSkating/feb7_inj.html>http://www.canoe.ca/SlamSkating/feb7_inj.html</A>

Armchairskater
February 7th, 2000, 10:43 AM
I just read in that article that Yagudin is skating with a broken hand. I guess he's got a real incentive now to stay vertical. Could you imagine if he started to fall and forgot and reached out to catch himself. Oouucchh!!!!!!!!!

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 12:34 PM
More updates. Plushenko won his qualifying group. Pairs have skated their SPs: 1. Petrova and Tikhonov 2. Bereznaia and Sikharalidze 3. Zagorska & Siudek (sp?)

Beth2000
February 7th, 2000, 12:40 PM
sw10025 any news about the women yet? Keep us posted please.

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Beth, the ladies don't skate until Wednesday. Ice Dance compulsories and men's SP tomorrow. The ladies will skate Wed at the following PST times: Qualifying Group A 1:30am PST Qualifying Group B 5:00am PST with the next ice dance segment at 9:30am PST, so we should all be able to find out the results shortly after 9:30am Wednesday PST (12:30PM eastern time) Yikes! I just looked at the ladies qualifying groups. Maria lucked out with absolutely nobody who could possibly beat her, short of leaving the building. Her biggest competitors are Poth and Lautowa. Slutskaya, meanwhile, ended up with Gusmeroli, Volchkova, Liashenko and Rechnio in her group, and she has to skate 2nd! Yech! Good thing she's such a good jumper because she's gonna need it.

lavender
February 7th, 2000, 03:08 PM
It don't matter. It is definite that they will send irina because she beat kwan and it's probably definite that maria will be there too because she is the current world champ. If they can send 3 I don't know who they will send. The men will definitely send plusenko and yagudin.

Rene
February 7th, 2000, 03:13 PM
How do they determine who's in which qualifying group? Do you think they didn't want Maria to look bad?

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 04:03 PM
I have no idea how they choose for each qualifying round, but I am sure that its some method that's not open to manipulation. As for mentioning the qualifying groups and whose in them, I wasn't trying to insinuate that either Maria or Irina wouldn't make the Russian team (regardless of how they place). My comment was aimed more at Maria's relative luck, she could put in a substandard performance and still win her qualifying group, whereas Irina is going to have to work much harder to win hers, most likely. Stamina could end up a factor, who knows?

TripleLutz
February 7th, 2000, 05:20 PM
MEN Qualifying Group A 1. Alexei Yagudin RUS - 0.4 2. Alexander Abt RUS - 0.8 3. Vincent Restencourt FRA - 1.2 4. Michael Tyllesen DEN - 1.6 5. Vakhtang Murvanidze GEO - 2.0 6. Margus Hernits EST - 2.4 7. Patrick Meier SUI - 2.8 8. Gabriel Monnier FRA - 3.2 9. Andrejs Vlascenko GER - 3.6 Qualifying Group B 1. Evgeny Plushenko RUS - 0.4 2. Dmitri Dimitrenko UKR - 0.8 3. Ivan Dinev BUL - 1.2 4. Stanick Jeannette FRA - 1.6 5. Vitaly Danilchenko UKR - 2.0 6. Stefan Lindemann GER - 2.4 7. Robert Grzegorczyk POL - 2.8 8. Szabolcs Vidrai HUN - 3.2 PAIRS Short Program 1. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov RUS - 0.5 2. Elena Berezhnaya/Anton Sikhauralidze RUS - 1.0 3. Dorota Zagorska/Maruisz Siudek POL - 1.5 4. Peggy Schwartz/Mirko Mueller GER - 2.0 5. Sarah Abitbol/Stephane Bernadis FRA - 2.5 6. Tatiana Totmianova/Maxim Marinin RUS - 3.0 7. Yulia Obertas/Dmitry Palamarchuk UKR - 3.5

lavender
February 7th, 2000, 05:57 PM
This is why I say it doesn't matter because even if both irina and maria skate subpar they will still go to worlds because of their past records. It would only be logical.

Rene
February 7th, 2000, 06:30 PM
WOW, B & S aren't having a great season are they? I actually like their short program this year. It's seems to have a little more interesting movements that go with the music than their usual fare. Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE them if they would do more interesting programs, as beautiful as they are. Even with mistakes they are nice to watch. I would love to see what Lori Nichol could do with them.

sw10025
February 7th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Rene, I absolutely adore B&S, but their problem is not their artistry, line, posture or even their choreography. They actually have to land their SBS jumps and throw jumps to win. Maybe practicing the quad throw salchow this season was not a good idea. Its really thrown off their timing on the 3 throw salchow (although I don't know if that was the problem or their SBS) and if they skate cleanly, they don't really need it. Yet.

rcl
February 8th, 2000, 09:42 AM
The men are skating now - here's a link to the results so far: <A HREF=http://www.asn.or.at/berichte/es20/auswahl.html >http://www.asn.or.at/berichte/es20/auswahl.html </A> Select "Herren-Kurzprogamm/live ticker."

Armchairskater
February 8th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Alternatively, monitor the results at www.icecalc.com It's in English and the results are complete.

rcl
February 8th, 2000, 01:08 PM
The results I posted are complete too. The marks are listed for the top three skaters.

Armchairskater
February 8th, 2000, 02:20 PM
I should have said "marks" rather than results. I meant that the scores and ordinals for all of the skaters are available at Icecalc. The frames are a bit irritating at Icecalc however.