PDA

View Full Version : Men's short

Armchairskater
February 10th, 2000, 05:28 PM
This may be incorrect. There's some confusion of the FSWorld site, but the short appears to be over and the results appear to be: 1. Weiss 2. Goebel 3. Savoie Ooh, the suspense mounts. All of the favorites are still in the gold medal hunt and whichever takes the long takes the whole enchilada. Gooo Tim!

ykchan
February 10th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Here are the SP Men's results via Yahoo!: <A HREF=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000210/sp/us_skating_7.html>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000210/sp/us_skating_7.html</A>

ML
February 10th, 2000, 05:39 PM

DianeO
February 10th, 2000, 05:41 PM
LOL..Mike had a shirt on that said "In it to win it"? ::sigh:: I won't even get started on that one ;) I was hoping Timmy would have been in first, but from the looks of that article, it seems the judges were pretty much split, although it also sounds like Mike made more mistakes. I think skate order probably had a lot to do with this one.

sw10025
February 10th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Hardly a convincing win, and what an odd distribution of ordinals with each of the top three getting three 1st place votes! I suspect Weiss may have just barely squeaked out a win with a 5-4 split on the 2nd place ordinals. Sounds like Savoie probably had the best performance of the night, but got held back by the fact that he did a solo 3axel instead of a 3axel combo. Too bad for him. I sure hope that they do better than that Saturday because if these are indicative of the kind of SP performances we can expect at worlds, the US hasn't a medal prayer. A 3toe solo jump and a 3axel-2toe isn't going to get you in the top five at worlds, and a 3axel solo with a 3flip-3toe may not even get you in the top seven or eight. The world judges might give Goebel more credit for at least attempting and rotating the 4salchow and the 3axel-3toe, but the landing errors might cost him a top three spot if the other top men do well. Oh well, go Timmy! We want to see the future cardiologist fly!!!

sw10025
February 10th, 2000, 08:15 PM
I think the only thing that held Weiss up (with that spectacularly misperformed 3axel) was his skating order, his music and footwork was a little more lively, and the inability of the judges to come to a consensus. Goebel made some minor mistakes too, but Weiss' combo jump was just executed incredibly poorly. Well, we'll see what happens in the LP. His axel technique still looks pretty shabby. P.S. I feel so badly for Shepherd Clark. He was obviously in so much pain and trying so hard, I just started crying cause I felt so badly for him. :-(

kjesse
February 10th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Did anyone just see the Men's short on ESPN? If so would the fs "experts" please explain why Matt Savoie is in 3rd place? What did the other two men do that was so much better that this young man, who did not seem to make any mistakes, and who was the only skater shown on TV that skated a clean program IMO, ended up in 3rd? IMO the only skater tonight who put it on the line was Matt and the top 2 men skated shaky, and with noticeable nerves. I'm kind of disappointed.

littlepebbles1
February 11th, 2000, 04:13 AM
Some people said that Matt was slower than the other 2 and seeing that I have gotten the impression that Speed Is King and apparently overcomes lots of mistakes, I guess that's why he's 3rd.

Armchairskater
February 11th, 2000, 05:33 AM
I think the main things that hurt Matt were a low start value (the triple axle was solo rather than in combo, though doing it out of a spread eagle a la Brian Boitano was a nice touch of difficulty, and the program was otherwise very conservative--no real difficulty in the spins and other elements that I could see) combined with inflation of Weiss' scores technically and artistically and a tad bit perhaps on Tim's artistic scores. By touching down on the tilted axle, Weiss essentially blew his combo and only deserved credit on the element for not going all the way down and pulling out a double toe on the end, which probably should have cost him as much as Tim's two less major errors combined. His start value should also have been lower than Tim's (due to Tim's triple axle-triple toe combo, which was completed though the axle was tilted and the quad attempt being successfully rotated though not landed), so those 5.6s and 5.7s on the technical were way out of line. While Weiss presentation was the best out of the three IMO, it wasn't anything to call home about either, so 5.9 was a farce. I would have called it Savoie, Goebel, and Weiss. I was really steamed at what they did to Ryan Bradley on the artistic mark. Okay, so he did a double axle instead of a triple and had low difficulty overall. They took that out on the technical as they should, but what was it with the low artistic marks? It's one thing to hold the marks a bit on the first skater, quite another to give him artistic marks that look like he either had a splatfest on the ice or had no choreography or presentation at all, when the truth was quite the opposite. The guy has flow, charisma, and rapport with the crowd. Even saving marks for a more dynamic program, they could have given him at least 5.3s and 5.4s. That they gave Trifun Zivanovic with his Neanderthal posture and Damon Allen with his technical blow-out, much higher presentation scores was obscene. Move aside RCL, I want my turn at the helm of the Death Star.

kjesse
February 11th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Armchair ITA with your comments regarding Ryan Bradley. My coworkers and I are discussing the Men's short this morning and we both thought Ryan was ripped off. That kid is too cute, and IMO has some real potential. OK I will agree that Matt was slower, and will accept that his stuff was not as difficult. I just thought he presented a better program than either of the top two men, and frankly I'm not impressed with either of them. The long programs should be very interesting. Hopefully for Michael and Tim's sake they will calm down and get their nerves in check so we can watch a decent long program.

sw10025
February 11th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Well, kjesse, I have a sneaking suspicion that Weiss and Goebel's LPs might not be much prettier. Remember, Weiss has only successfully landed one quad in his entire competitive career (last year's worlds) -- and by that I mean without two footing it, turn outs and all the other little technical errors that are supposed to deny you credit for the quad -- and he's definitely going to have to go for it tomorrow night, what with Goebel going for three. Goebel is sure to land at least one, and even though its not supposed to happen, the judges will give him the credit for having the guts to try the others, particularly if he only makes minor mistakes on them. Weiss has an absolutely terrible axel technique, which he corrected somewhat last year, but he's back to his old ways, so he'll probably blow his axel combo or scale it down to a 3-2, which is considered nothing these days, while his competitor will be attempting a 3x-3t-3l sequence. Weiss generally does better in the SP than the LP, so if history is any indication, it could get pretty ugly tomorrow night.