PDA

View Full Version : i hate what abc/dick button are doing!

yankgrl46
February 12th, 2000, 04:59 AM
this whole compare the young skater to the seasoned veteran its just not right to do to michelle imo. they criticize her every second on the ice, and i feel it definitely needs to end. i mean ofcourse michelle layback wont be as perfect b/c shes not a pencil thin little girl (no disrespect to sasha, naomi i think their good, but come on) i dont know if anybody else is gettin annoyed with the stupid "who was better, who had the edge thing" but i most certainly amd and its trying to boost raitings through rivalry but frankly as far as i see theirs no big rivarly there.

Karin
February 12th, 2000, 05:22 AM
don't get me wrong or anything...yes I get annoyed...but MK does listen to critisicms...hard as it may be for MK to see herself being compared to point out her "weakness"...BUT she improves that way!!! I am though...wishing that they would actually compare MK to others using MK's spiral...or her footwork...or her facial expressions...etc...!!! OR the Lutz!!! But it's easier for me to say...because I didn't get to watch last night!!! :-(

Beth2000
February 12th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Karin I did watch last night and it is amazing how Dick Button did not one time last night mention any of the girls flutz's over MK's Lutz! I get very frustrated when it comes to Dick Button. He never has anything nice to say about anyone! I would rather listen to Peggy Flemming she is always saying something nice even when they fall. I wished I could shut out Dick Button's voice while watching skating but no luck no can do.

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 08:08 AM
I don't know if ANY OTHER SKATER could stand up to the nit picking that Michelle gets. It's because she is so good. That's my theory anyway. I really didn't mind the critisism of Michelle's layback last year. But now that her free leg is nice, her back isn't arched enough! She must be perfect in all other aspects because if all they can find is that her back is not arched enough.....UGH! I'm SO irritated with that. Can you imagine if other skaters elements were put side-by-side? It would take the entire broadcast! Sorry, that split screen was justified last year, but this year it really irritates me.

TripleLutz
February 12th, 2000, 08:37 AM
The big time nit-picking last night was all from Peggy. The "bad" layback nagging all came from Peggy. Dick said, "Here an improved layback for Michelle." Then Peggy said, "She needs to spin a little faster, just a little slow there." Then after Sasha Cohen skated they did that SBS thing like last year and then Peggy spoke the entire time, "Sasha's back and leg positions are perfect, Michelle needs to arch her back more and pick up some speed." The only thing that Dick said that was bad during the entire performance about Michelle was that her death drop didn't have the usual spring and tension to it, at the end.

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 08:42 AM
I posted somewhere else that I'm mad at PEGGY today. LOL, I'm usually mad at one of them. Then it goes away with the next broadcast when they say nice things(they BETTER anyway) I can take it from them ok. It's like family, they can critisize and you get mad, but you know they love you(Michelle) and support you in the end. I really believe that they root for Michelle and want her to win. They know she is the best. Maybe I'm delusional, but I prefer it that way.LOL

Googoo
February 12th, 2000, 08:44 AM
It's just nit picking. "her back could be a little more arched." Please. Why do they only do comparisons of things that MK is not the best at? Can we compare spirals, lutzes, falling leaves,

mano
February 12th, 2000, 09:03 AM
When Dick Button suddenly breaks into song about "little girls" from an old musical that had the lead character "Gigi" being prepped by her aunts to become a mistress you know Michelle is in trouble. He and Peggy are so enraptured of the contortionist generation that it was like they consider Michelle a lumber jack compared to these baby ballerinas.

Karin
February 12th, 2000, 09:34 AM
I...myself...Karin get really really really annoyed at those comparisons too...If it was me...I would be really really really insulted!!!...but despite how much we hate hearing those bla bla bla stuff...think of it as helping MK get more determination and improvement!!!...Speaking of which...IMO some people only notice improvements from other skaters...what happened to MK??? e.g. Is the Charlotte not an improvement???...no hands??? But I'll keep my bp low and just say that MK is the 1 to beat...

AYS
February 12th, 2000, 10:34 AM
I just watched those 3 programs again (MK, SH, and SC) and I can't believe how uncomplimentary they were toward MK, vs. the gushing about the others.

littlepebbles1
February 12th, 2000, 12:36 PM
<font face=wingdings color=blue size=4>L</font> I wonder what it will be like tonight? If Michelle skates a great performance and wins, will they jump back on her bandwagon or be mad that she beat the baby ballerinas?

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 01:33 PM
They'll be back on the bandwagon, depending on how she skates, though. LOL Mano. The only thing more annoying than the comparison was Dick singing, and it went on FOREVER! That's NOT going to help the ratings, Dick.

Karin
February 12th, 2000, 01:36 PM
I can't understand the sudden changes...the phases boy oh boy!!! BUT man... will we hear another "wonderful, wonderful"!!!??? Magical Michelle!!!

rda
February 12th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Does anyone else think Dick's singing was a little creepy? Ever since the cheek pinching incident with IS there have been several times when his comments about "little girls" have made me very uncomfortable......

Beth2000
February 12th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Dick is getting old and I think he may be going through a mid life crisis! Eeeeew! That is totally disgusting thinking about it. But I know what you mean.

SkateFan007
February 12th, 2000, 02:12 PM
I must admit that all of this hype ABC, Dick, and Peggy have over all of the younger skaters is getting on my nerves also. Come on! Do the people who love skating for what it is want to hear negatives about their favorite skater every single second? I think not!

Jahmal
February 12th, 2000, 04:19 PM
It also gets me sick.. Now that Sasha is reminding me of that thing that appear in 1997. Oh God I'm praying for Michelle to win tonight because I cant take one more of those.

vive_la_reine
February 12th, 2000, 04:19 PM
ITA -- with all of you!! The commentary was pretty ugly last night. The only reason I did not pick up my TV and throw it out of the window is because I wanted to see Michelle skate tonight! One positive--at least Michelle's competition and the coaches are "getting it right". While I find fault with the announcers, I have beem extremely pleased with Sasha and her coach. They are happy & excited at Sasha's placement (who wouldn't be), but at the same time, have shown great respect for Michelle. I thought Sasha was very sincere in her comments regarding Michelle. Also, in one article wasn't it Sasha's coach who said something to effect that for greatness and consistency, there is nobody like Michelle?