PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Final Group Skate Order

Brian
February 11th, 2000, 03:31 PM
15 Sarah Hughes The SC of New York 16 Angela Nikodinov All Year FSC 17 Michelle Kwan Los Angeles FSC 18 Andrea Gardiner Houston FSC 19 Sasha Cohen Orange County FSC 20 Naomi Nari Nam All Year FSC

dreamr
February 11th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Hmmm, does anyone else think that Sasha has it in the bag if she skates clean? Who would've thunk it?

Karin
February 11th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Sarah is skating 1st in the lp again...like last year??? Good luck Sarah!!! dreamr...Sasha has great extensions and terrific positions!!!...her spirals are IMO almost as good as MK's...and she is just very lovely to watch!!! I think her presentation is superb for a 15 yr. old...very good!!! Now...I don't know about her footwork though...but her spins are definitely faster than MK's and she has more flexibility... BUT if both MK and Sasha are clean...my guess is that MK would win!!!...but don't forget SH...

Rene
February 11th, 2000, 03:46 PM
I'm confused. I think this is the last group in the SHORT program, right? They can't choose for LP until they know the top 6. No, I don't think Sasha has it in the bad if she skates clean. Michelle does.

ChicaRealidad
February 11th, 2000, 03:46 PM
I don't think Sasha has it in the bag at all. She's going to be nervous no matter what she says. She's never been in this big a spotlight before so she's either going to crumble or it's not going to phase her. I would think that her attitude going into the free skate tomorrow night is going to be based on Michelle's performance. If Michelle is dead on and hits all her elements, then Sasha Cohen has to dig deep and go to a higher level than she's ever been before. And if she can do that and wins the National Championship, then Michelle is going to have to step back and take a long look at her future in skating. She's going to have to recommit herself on an entirely different level. Because even though she's lost international competitions the past 2 years, she hasn't been tested at home in a long time. Now the teeny-boppers are coming out of the woodwork and I seriously doubt that she's going to be able to keep going to college AND skate full-time. I know she cut down on her class-load this semester, but I still think she's got a huge decision to make between now and next season. I'm sure she'll go to the World's no matter what happens tomorrow night, but she's not going to have much confidence if she doesn't come back and win tomorrow night. I'm affraid that she may come out and be too tentative and not be aggressive enough to skate with authority and conviction.

Rene
February 11th, 2000, 03:48 PM
Nooooooo. I didn't know the results were in when I posted.

Rene
February 11th, 2000, 04:03 PM
I still believe that the USFSA WANTS to send Michelle to the World Championships as the National Champion, if they can.

Terri
February 11th, 2000, 04:16 PM
How many lutzes does she have in her long program? Is she doing any triple-triples?

kwanette
February 11th, 2000, 04:23 PM
She is still in the running....strongly.....

skateobsessed21
February 11th, 2000, 04:30 PM
All the skaters I want to see in the top three (Hughes, Nickodinov, and Michelle -- though in reverse order) got really crappy long program draws. Especially Hughes and Nickodinov. This sucks.

Karin
February 11th, 2000, 04:39 PM
ITA...that's why I said...don't forget about SH!!! She'll be dazzling if she lands the two 3/3's... :-)

Rhonda57
February 11th, 2000, 04:42 PM
Even without a fall I didn't think Michele's short program music fit her very well. Her skating was lovely (at previous competion) but the music didn't enhance. I'm praying MK has a spectacular long program!

Karin
February 11th, 2000, 04:53 PM
I'm confident she won't be a "mushy cookie"!!! :-)

BeezerB
February 11th, 2000, 06:35 PM
No, I realize that Michelle has it in the bag if she skates clean.....it's all in how you look at it. As 'cute' as Sasha is, and that's what she is, 'cute', I highly doubt that the USFSA would place a clean Sasha over a clean Michelle. The USFSA wants Michelle their champion and Michelle will have to totally mess up not to win. GO MICHELLE!!! p.s. don't get me wrong, I think Sasha has great potential and will definitely be a force in US figure skating, when she's a little older.

Rene
February 11th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Michelle will win if she skates clean. Of course she will have to skate well, but she usually DOES skate well, with lots of excitement, when she skates clean.

pentelHB
February 11th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Ok, you guys. I reaally want Michelle to win, but only with a fantastic performance. Greedy, I know. Now, don't jinx her by predicting that she has it in the bag! Sorry, but Michelle can't lose cuz of us!

Googoo
February 11th, 2000, 07:01 PM
What's wrong with Kwan's draw? It's a good one skateobsessed.

CollegeJock21
February 11th, 2000, 07:15 PM
The fact that they put her on 3rd is the evidence they still want to send Michelle as the National Champion!! They're not going to send someone who's capable of becoming World Champion as the Silver or Bronze Medalist of U.S. Nationals, right? For me, it's not the placement, but it's how well Michelle skates, I think she's got her work cut out for her. She's gonna want to skate well tomorrow night, just for her confidence level, she wants to skate clean tomorrow night, so she can repeat a brilliant performance at the worlds!! And get her crown back!! And let's remind ourselves, this year's world championship isn't as important as next year's world championship. Because we want her going into Olympics as the reigning world champ, so that'll carry some weight, and thank God 2001 Worlds will be held in Vancouver, and not on European ice. Remember? The first time she won Worlds was in Edmonton, also on Canadian Ice...just thought I might point it out :)) Go Michelle!! Undaunt the courage!!

dreamr
February 11th, 2000, 07:35 PM
NAGANO!!!!! What are the chances she will skate clean here? Slim to none! Sasha is a beautiful skater and not robotic at all nor is she gangly. By clean I mean SEVEN TRIPLES!!!!!!!!!

skateobsessed21
February 11th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Googoo -- It's a good draw for Michelle because she gets to use the full warm up, but doesn't have to stay off the ice too long. However, if she holds anything back, or God forbid, should fall or miss something, the judges still have to leave more room for Sasha and Naomi. Even if Michelle skates cleanly, I really don't see that panel willing to give her a 6.0, or even too many 5.9's they way they've been judging this competition so far. I don't know, call me a pessimist, but that way, if I'm wrong, I'll be happily surprised.

Googoo
February 11th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Dreamr-- you mean she hasn't skated clean in a LP since Oly? Well actually at World Pros she skated a clean LP. I really really want her to nail the LP! PLEEEEASE! GO FOR IT!

3axel
February 11th, 2000, 07:54 PM
I'm too nervous right now. I keep trying to tell myself all this is happening to give Michelle the competitive edge to kick bu** tomorrow. TV Guide says the competition is shown LIVE, but will it really be live? I'll be at work all day tomorrow, and won't have any access to the internet. Oh no, I won't be able to concentrate all day. I'm too scared. I don't think I'll have enough guts to turn on the TV tomorrow night. Anyone out there with some comforting thoughts??

littlepebbles1
February 11th, 2000, 07:57 PM
I know not too many people saw it, but Michelle also skated cleanly with 7 triples in the '98 Worlds qualifying round.

Beth2000
February 12th, 2000, 04:18 AM
3axel I think Mk will do just fine. She has been in this position before and when she is down she always comes out fighting like a lion and she always attacks her program. I think that we will see a different look in Michelle's eyes tonight. I know how you feel about work. I have to go grocery shopping, uck! Of all the nights to have to go. I will hurry us up so that I can have everything done and be in front of the tv at 9pm. Who are they showing first? Will it be the men or the ladies? Or is tonight about the ladies only?

skatingfan
February 12th, 2000, 06:57 AM
I think the skating order is by random draw, not assigned. Sasha has a 3t/3t, and SH has 2 different 3/3. We will see. Hope they skate their best. Sasha has a beautiful back and line. I think SH feels the music more. Actually, I have only seen Sasha twice on tv, and had not cared for her music either time. Her sp is the Albinoni adagio + Vivaldi's Winter , i.e. top 100 most favorite classical. If Mk wants to defend her title she has to skate the skate of her life tonight. I mean clean program with feelings, sparks, speed. SH, And SC both out jumped and out spin her in the sp, so it is not just jumps. Regardless of what happens I love MK.

3axel
February 12th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your comforting thoughts. Boy am I glad I'm not in this alone. Anyway, the men's competition is being shown earlier during the day on ABC then the Ladies are on tonight at 9pm, with a little bit of ice dancing. Talk to y'all later, I'm off to work.

Kara
February 12th, 2000, 07:30 AM
MK's draw could be worse, but, IMO, certainly isn't good. She needed to skate AFTER Sasha...preferably two or more spots after her. I felt like "oh no" upon seeing the skate order. But, it's great that she's after Sarah - that's crucial, I think. But, if Sarah hits both 3/3's, then it won't be good. Oh, I just don't know:(. I really know that MK can skate well and that the judges DO want to send her to Worlds as National Champion. But, I think it all comes down to where she is mentally. I hope she had a good talk with Frank, her family, etc. and is well-rested. I think being a day removed from something can make a HUGE difference in your mentality. She desperately needs to be in attack mode. GET TOUGH, MK, YOU CAN DO IT:)!!!

Artec262
February 12th, 2000, 07:50 AM
I'm going to tape it I'm too scared to turn the T.V I need some advice right now my heart is beating so fast and stomach is tickling Help Help!!!

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 07:52 AM
persoanlly, I don't think Sarah or Sasha really feel their music, yet. Although Sasha's positions are beautiful and I enjoy her skating, I don't think her presentation is up the MK's level. I'm sure it will be, just not now. Like some people have said, it seems a little forced, not loose.

muri
February 12th, 2000, 08:23 AM
get busy doing something else other that feeling nervous for MK. Did you get that tape from Cherie? Then watch it & enjoy MK. If watching the tape makes you more nervous then don't. Find something irrelevant to MK. Michelle needs our reassurance not nervous questions like can you do it? Write a journal on how MK has inspired you to this day? Or why you love her so. But please calm down & pray for her if you can. I'm talking to you but God knows I need to take my own advice!

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 08:47 AM
It's much easier for me if I know the results ahead of time. Saves my stomach!

Googoo
February 12th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Littlepebbles how did you see the 98 Worlds qualifier? Lucky you! Do you have it on tape?

Sophie
February 12th, 2000, 09:02 AM
I think Sasha is a beautiful skater and her jumps yesterday were wonderful. As I understand it, I think she only has 4 or 5 triples in her long program. I don't think we she count out Michelle so soon! Do the other girls besides Sara have 6 or 7 triples planned.

Karin
February 12th, 2000, 09:24 AM
I don't think MK usually is around to watch the skaters ahead of her...I think usually she and Frank look for a place that is quiet...blocking out all the noises so she can't hear...BUT that's just what I think!!! So...anywayzzz...I don't think MK will be paying attention to how the others skate in front of her...she'll go out there and do her thing!!!...work her magic!!! I actually think the skate order is good...at least physically... To skate 1st...(as I know it) you can't practice as much in the warm up because you have to kinda conserve energy...BUT to skate so late...you really have to keep your muscles going!!! So MK will be fine!!!

littlepebbles1
February 12th, 2000, 09:35 AM
I didn't see it. But I read reports on it from people who were there.