PDA

View Full Version : OK east coast fans....

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 05:58 PM
Give us Westerners details. How did Michelle look? Nervous, confident.... What did Dick say about Sasha's scores? Who deserved 2nd? We have another hour to go!

Rene
February 12th, 2000, 06:04 PM
a few people at FSW are saying that Michelle just looks disinterested. What do you think? Was Dick insinuating that Sasha should have won?

Jahmal
February 12th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Yea, Michelle wasn't smiling like her usual self. She needs one of those long programs that made her famous in '96,'97. I think she should get a long program like Taj Mahal again because I love when she transform herself into someone else.

Crazyglue
February 12th, 2000, 06:11 PM
Michelle was really tight... i think before the competetion...she didn't carry her smile until when she started skating... she was confident, i feel, but she was a bit tentative on her jumps.. esp. on her triple triple..which she doubled.... Her artistry was BREATHTAKING!!! There's NO comparison.. it was beautiful.. the way she skated TRV... amazing.. serene..... As for Sasha.. i think her jumps are awesome, and i agree with most of the critics that she has great bodylines...but... the thing is.. she wasn't able to draw me into her skating and music.. i don't 'feel' her skating as i 'feel' michelle's.... it was a great performance.. but i really disagree with D.Button that she is on the same artistic level as michelle.. i think she needs to be one with the music....but i do agree that she's graceful.... Sarah... hmm... for some reason... i don't see the 'elegance' that they talk about when she skated.. actually.. maybe it's just me.. but i found... traces of michelle in her skating.. .and.. she needs more finesse.. she reminds me of irina slutskya before she refined her skating..... Yes, i feel that sarah deserved the bronze and sasha the silver... and michelle.. definitely the gold, despite the imperfect performance...

AYS
February 12th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Michelle looked very, very serious. She also wasn't pleased with her performance. You could tell. She wants the 3/3 and it didn't happen; the first toe wasn't right enough to pull it off. She really barely smiled, even when she won. Although she only had the one fall, this is the first time I've ever seen her "pulling out" jumps.

Crazyglue
February 12th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Actually D. Button agrees that she should have gotten silver.. but that he said she should have had slightly higher scores on tech and presenation... He wasn't upset sasha didn't win... he actually predicted that michelle should win.. and he said that for once he was glad his prediction was correct...

rda
February 12th, 2000, 06:14 PM
I don't think Dick though Sasha should have won, but he did his little analysis and said Michelle won on the triples and footwork, sasha won on the spins and they both had equal artistry. Huh? Michelle's program, while not quite as exciting as her very best propgrams, still was the only one I saw over the last two days that really expressed the music she was skating to. Sasha could have skated that program to any one of a hundred pieces of music as long as the general tempos were the same. Isn't that what artistry is all about? I think Dick is a little blinded by his (wierd) fixation on the baby ballerinas.

kwanette
February 12th, 2000, 06:15 PM
I would say determined, purposeful, methodical, ticking off the elements....

powerziggy
February 12th, 2000, 06:19 PM
I think the judges appreciate the intricate piece of music that Michelle has chosen. While I am really impressed with Sasha's performance, I agree that the performance could have just tied to any music of the similar tempo, which means she doesn't really bring out the essence of the music, and that's probably why her presentation mark is not that high.

Crazyglue
February 12th, 2000, 06:20 PM
I don't know if you noticed.. but i feel that the 'baby ballerinas' are all using music that runs along the line of 'lyra angelica'... the music sasha and sarah used were very similar... I think at this point.. michelle has definitely passed the point to use the 'pretty' music.. like michelle said, you can always look pretty pretty, but she wants to take her music to a deeper level and with more maturity....

Googoo
February 12th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Michelle wore her hair half up, held by a barette I think. Her hair was slicked back. She looked very pretty. Nice makeup! She looked very determined, very serious, didn't smile much. Oh yeah and she used the pretty sleeveless dress.

Joshua
February 12th, 2000, 06:25 PM
if Michelle's TRV music is so complex and difficult to skate to, what will her Olympic music be like? Ooooh, the possibilities!

AYS
February 12th, 2000, 06:28 PM
BTW, I thought she looked very beautiful with her hair like that. But just a little too serious tonight. She's really looking like she's struggling technically to me...in disequilibrium somehow.

skatingfan
February 12th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Michelle won fair and square. Am I the only one here who would have given SH more credit that sasha. I think SH connects better with her music. It is that skating order again. The editing of Mendelssohn's violin concerto - Sasha's music is very abrupt in at least 4 different places, I found that very distracting. I hope MK will take the next 4 weeks to train her 3/3 and 3l, she had not landed a 3l so far this season. Her presentation is excellent.

sidda
February 12th, 2000, 06:31 PM
But I would agree with Kwanette. Michelle seemed very distant, methodical, and lacking her usual passion and joy. And even though she only fell on one jump she was pretty shaky on two others (including the last 3toe). It wasn't the type of performance like last year's (when she fell, but she really nailed everything else, including 3-3, and had real expression). But even if she had been more solid on her jumps, I was very disturbed by her demeanor. I also thought the judges were incredibly harsh with Sasha's scores. I can't help but wonder if the judge's weren't thinking about the fact that Sasha may not be able to go to worlds. All in all, I would have felt better even if Michelle had lost if only she had seemed to have more joy and passion in her skating tonight. As it is, I've never seen her seem so tired and withdrawn. What I love about her is her joy on the ice, not all of her medals.

sw10025a
February 12th, 2000, 06:34 PM
Michelle certainly smiled very little, she looked very serious and down to business, perhaps determined. I personally couldn't tell whether she was nervous or not, the commentators said she had looked almost unbelievably calm the whole week and even on the ice. She certainly didn't have that sort of panicky, unhappy look she had on her face during the dark days of the 97 season. When she finished, it was obvious she was less than pleased with her performance, she certainly didn't act pleased, more relieved and reconciled that it was over. When her marks came up, she and Frank looked reasonably pleased with them, and they were more than fair, given her fall, the little error on the final 3 toe, the fact that she failed to execute the 3-3 combo, the little check out problem on the last lutz. They were really quite good under the circumstances -- the judges were obviously giving her every possible, reasonable opportunity to retain her title, but no egregious holding up. And yes, to confirm, Mr. Button did said that he felt that Sasha's scores were a little low on a 6.0 scale, but he had no problem with the results. He even said at the end of the show that he was glad his prediction that Kwan would defend her title came true.

Gentle
February 12th, 2000, 06:36 PM
1. MK 2. Sarah(techenically she was better than Sasha) 3. Sasha

Joshua
February 12th, 2000, 06:39 PM
The comp. hasn't aired over here yet so I can't compare myself. I know what you mean by her seriousness off the ice, but what about on the ice. Her lp music doesn't seem like music in which she should be joyful and smiling throughout. Or do you mean it looked as if Michelle was thinking through her elements instead of just being one with the music?

Kara
February 12th, 2000, 06:40 PM
AYS - I think she did have to fight through the jumps, but she has not had near the practice time she needs this semester...and this was A LOT of pressure. I was feeling doubtful that she would pull it off after the short program, but she looked more ready tonight...or as though she WANTED to be ready. I think a better time to assess where she truly is technically would be at the start of next season after she recovers from the changes (and some setbacks)due to college...and after she has had the summer to gain back some lost ground. She will certainly have a fight ahead of her now that US and international ladies are "upping the ante" (thought I'd use that since it seems to be the phrase of the week;>), but I think it's tough to tell where she stands technically right now. At the moment, I'm just thrilled that won and I need to joy in that after all this stress:).

Kara
February 12th, 2000, 06:44 PM
Oh, I should add, incase anyone doesn't know, that the reason I think she'll soon have more time to catch up technically is that she's taking only one class this semester and is considering moving out of the dorms...or taking a semester off in the future.

andycat
February 12th, 2000, 06:45 PM
Kara: I agree with what you're saying. For Michelle to have accomplished what she's done while going to UCLA full-time and now part-time is a MIRACLE. I graduated from UCLA and worked part-time and it practically KILLED me. I was exhausted all the time, never had free time. And this is especially true my freshman year. It's always the toughest...and even harder in those darn, cramped, noisy, party-filled dorms. I just don't know how she's been able to even do as well as she's been doing. I'm hoping that with these new challenges, she'll scale back her workload (or keep it even to just one class as it is now) so she won't completely "burn out." After she's had time to recover and acclimate herself to skating and a light school load, I think she'll be back on track, technically...and then a fair assessment of her skills could be made. But, certainly not now!

Joshua
February 12th, 2000, 06:55 PM
Michelle had to compete in the GPF not too long ago. She's been doing many pro-ams along with regular amateur competitions and had virtually no time to do some serious training with her taking a full load last semester or quarter or whatever while Cohen and Hughes haven't and don't have Michelle's hectic schedule. The point is cut Michelle some slack. Charity, my rear end!

andycat
February 12th, 2000, 06:58 PM
Absolutely. I don't think any skater on the scene today could handle the load she has. She's awesome!