PDA

View Full Version : COI Reviews&Pics Thread - please post them here!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Heather
March 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM
To make COI reviews, reports & pictures easy to find, please post them all in this thread. This worked well last year. :) When the tour ends, this thread will be archived.

The tour starts today. Here is the schedule for the tour:
www.championsonice.com/pe...order=date (http://www.championsonice.com/performances.php?tour=0&order=date)

TwinnerA
March 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Oh goody. I am looking forward to any and all reports/photos from COI seeing as I don't get to see COI this year (didn't last year or the year before either)!

Forever Loyal
March 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I can't believe that they are having a show on Easter Sunday. I am sure that the skaters would want to be home with their families. At least the ones who celebrate Easter.:angel

kwanette
March 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I went to a COI show in Philadelphia a few years ago...on Easter....it was fine with me...;)

kwansong99
March 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Im guessing this is a spoiler thread so here goes:

I dont know if it was posted anywhere, but MK skated to Bolero today. (with the long-sleeved dress)

I dont know if she decided to hold onto it because of the cheesefest competition and this would give her more exposure with it and then she'll change it mid-tour, or she'll keep this alltogether, who knows.

Crizzy
March 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Woa, Bolero, I would like to see this with the minimal jumping pass. I think this would give her more time to add choreography and movements. Details, details please.

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I saw Michelle skate today, and she did skate to Bolero with the QR dress. She did the 3l/2t, 2a (she opened with this), 3f, *CLEAN* 3s, and a solo 3t. She may also have done another solo lutz but I am not sure. (I was after all, three miles off the ice). Conspicuously absent (at least I don't remember seeing it) was the trademark spiral but I think I saw her do two footwork passes - going up one end of the rink and then the other, before doing the final combo spin and the Tosca-ending pose. I was impressed to see her do so many jumps under the exhibition lighting. Hers, Johnny's, Sasha's, A&P's and Viktor's programs were my favorites. I posted a longer review at FSU if anyone is interested. :)

ETA: I cut and pasted the longer review:
I went to COI Hartford too and was surprised to see Michelle skate to Bolero. It was an exhibition formatted program, but she did do quite a few jumps - including the 3l/2t, 2a, 3f, and a clean (from where I was sitting) 3s, as well as a 3t IIRC. Conspicuously absent (at least I don't remember seeing it) was the trademark spiral. Instead I think I saw her do two footwork passes (?) before ending with a combo spin and the Tosca-ending pose.

Sasha's Babs number (Don't Rain on My Parade) was also very entertaining, and very Sasha I heart her hair half down, it looks good and not as severe as the bun.

Johnny skated beautifully to Unchained Melody and the jumps were like butta.

Irina did a very cute number to "Oops I Did it Again!" She did her trademark double Bielmann spin and the three-turns into a 3r, as well as a solo 3r (again IIRC - I am no teknik about identifying jumps from three miles off the ice) She wore a catsuit type outfit that was very formfitting.

My favorite number was A&P's Star Wars routine. They come out skating to the Imperial Death March and fighting with light sabers. They are hooded. Then the hoods come off and they skate to softer selections of music from (presumably) the trilogy. I wonder if they were skating as Anakin and Padme Amidala...Equally enjoyable was Viktor's Mack the Knife program, complete with cane and top hat

I did not enjoy Jenny's Evita number - the cuts of music are waaaaaaay to choppy and she just does not sell the character of Evita to me. But that is JMO. She had a hard time holding onto the jumps landings today. Also yawn-inducing was Elvis skating a typical Elvis program and Dan Hollander skating to Richard Simmons But he as well as the acrobats and Irina Gregorian got the most audience feedback today (besides Michelle that is).

The ho-down finale was cute and overall I enjoyed it. But I am glad I did not spend too much money on tickets!

nymkfan51
March 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
WOW! Now I didn't expect this!!!

This actually makes sense. She obviously likes the music, and without the pressure of having to do 6 or 7 jumps ... plus the mandatory spins and such ... she may just be able to really immerse herself in the program and make it something very special.

Can't wait to see how it evolves over the tour.

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Wow so she did do that many triples!!! I was a lot farther up than Loopschick, but I did catch some of the jumps she did anyway :lol

:FL

loopschick
March 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Moonkitty ... where were you sitting ? We were about 15 rows up in the corner diagonally across the ice from the skaters entrance ...

From what I remember, the layout of the program seemed pretty similar to Worlds ... she didn't do the 2loop after the 3f/2t, or the 2t after the first 3z ... and I thought I had read that she had planned another 2t after the 3s at Worlds, and she didn't do that here either. And the spiral was replaced with another footwork section. I think the rest was the same, but I can't be positive ...

We got there early and had lunch at an Irish pub on a corner across from the arena, and while we were eating, numerous skaters walked by ... Elvis, Dan Hollander, Tim, Johnny, Irina, Jenny, Marina Anissina ... I think that was all. Then at the show we saw Ilia and Katia with Daria and Liza. Lots of skater spotting :)

I'm still psyched about seeing Bolero :D

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Did you eat at Vaughan's on Pratt Street? Because that is the Irish Pub I ate at!!! :lol I didn't see any skaters while I was there though :( At the show I sat in section 203, row FF, center ice. I was just about as high as you can be in the Civic Center, but at least I had binoculars :b

Oh yeah, and thanks for confirming my own observations! How did the fw look from where you were?

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Gatzbee, from where I was sitting it looked like she went up one end of the rink and then down the other with footwork instead of having the spiral sequence. I remember she had timed the spiral sequence from Worlds during the key change and instead she continued the fw (including the SFL). It looked similar to Worlds in terms of overall content (IMO).

gatzbee
March 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM
wow, more than one falling leaf?! and some spin in the end too?? wow. if she does take out some jumps before marshalls, i will be bummed b/c i honestly would prefer to see her skate to bolero w/o so many jumps. she can dazzle just by doing MITF and just simple deep edges.

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
It looked like one long fw sequence at the end to me. Can you confirm this, Loopschick?

honey827
March 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Very surprised that she decided to skate to Bolero for COI. I wonder if she will change it after Marshall's because like Heather said it is very difficult to do a six triple program for a whole tour.

scheherazade
March 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks, MoonKitty! Ok, is it just me, or does this seem like Michelle is saying, "get ready, watch out -- the Kwan is pumping it up for next season!"?

I can't wait to see this and A&P's number -- I can't believe I'm finally going to see them live for the first time, hurray!

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
This is just me projecting here...but it seems to me that Michelle wants to derive some satisfaction skating this program. She never really had a satisfying (for her) outing with it this season and maybe by doing it on the tour she will skate it the way she wanted to. JMO.

gatzbee
March 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
HOLY COW! BOLERO! goodness! ;) im in shock, but u know what was more shocking. just like a HALF HR before i read this thread and even came online i was speculating and imagining in my mind that MAYBE just MAYBE mk will skate to bolero cuz i thought she tends to have more moves and just feel so much more relaxed to exhibition numbers that she may finally just be able to have the kind of skate she has always wanted with this music. and then i come to mkf and :eek in a way, if this means she can skate a freer bolero, then i am PSYCHED to see it tom. o my goodness!! i can't wait! :D

scheherazade
March 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
MoonKitty -- question: Did you notice more in-betweens than at Worlds? Was it more exhibition-y than competitive (besides the jumps)? Thanks!

An MKFer I was talking to earlier said she had a feeling that MK would be skating to some instrumental piece -- I can't believe that she's right ;)

loopschick
March 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I just got back from COI, and I was pleasantly shocked to see Bolero ... OMG. First of all, back to normal tights, YAY !!! Secondly ... SIX triples !!! 2a, 3f/2t, 3z, 3f, 3s, 3z, 3t :D Everytime she rounded the corner near our seats we cheered and she gave us a huge smile, it was awesome :) I missed the spiral, but the two footwork sections at the end rocked :)

She did a 3f in the opening, and four double axels in a row in the finale ... wow !!!

I can't wait to see this all again tomorrow, and I have 2nd row seats tomorrow ...

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I remember that she did her usual footwork into the 3f, she did (what seemed to me) a longer footwork pass at the end of the program and she had the same spins from Worlds. She did not have a layback spin though. Same dancey moves at the beginning of the program, SFL at the end of the footwork. It was similar to the Worlds layout, minus the two extra combos and including an extended fw sequence (IMO). Take this with a grain of salt though because I can't say that I am 100 percent accurate.

gatzbee
March 26th, 2005, 05:38 PM
She did a 3f in the opening, and four double axels in a row in the finale ... wow !!!

WOW. hey for those who saw bolero, how similar was this to the worlds version?? were there any moves in the beginning like nats? and what exactly then was she doing for the length of the spiral b/c that sequence takes a fair chunk of time out...? and was it an extended sequence or 2 fw sequences? goodness, im still in shock, but im gonna see bolero LIVE tom. yay!

Heather
March 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
So, did she skate last? ;)

I'm surprised about Bolero. Not sure how I feel about seeing that program twice in one week. :p I was hoping to see Bolero, and then a new exhibition at COI. I want the knee slide back. :p And no spiral!? But, 6 triples, wow! And sounds like she skated it well. I can't imagine her skating a 6 triple program every night, under spotlights, though. That's insane (good insane), lol.

loopschick
March 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
So, did she skate last?

yes, she did :)

T&M were right before her, and Irina before that.

I'm guessing she'll probably take out some of the triples after Marshalls ... I miss the knee slide too, but there were a bunch of falling leafs and a death drop at the end ... and I think a scratch spin right before the ending pose ...

loopschick
March 26th, 2005, 05:55 PM
It looked like one long fw sequence at the end to me. Can you confirm this, Loopschick?

I think it was two footwork sequences back to back ... straightline and then circular ... but I could be wrong. I'm going again tomorrow, so I will get another look and will report back ... I think lots of others are going tomorrow too, so there should be quite a few reports.

MoonKitty02
March 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Okay, that is probably a better way to describe what I saw because from my vantage point Michelle did a straightline sequence and then continued but in a circular pattern. Regardless it was enjoyable :)

rubyred
March 26th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Thank you all for the great reports! Wow, our Kween seems to be very much determined...

We Believe!!!:YS

justsk8
March 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM
First of all, back to normal tights
Well now that we have the most important question answered we can talk about the program! lol But no seriously, glad to hear the tights were back to normal lol!!! I think that was some weird Moscow anomoly.

So this Bolero thing is really interesting. I can't believe she's basically doing a competitive program in show lights. At Marshall's she's gonna be like, hey could ya turn the lights down? lol I really wonder if this is just for Marshall's prep, or if she will use Bolero for the whole tour. I'm not going till next weekend, so I wonder what program I will see!

:SP

Fumbilicious
March 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Man, I'm so totally bummed that COI is coming no where near us. But at least people will be giving lots of reports and hopefully some photos. Also, that's cool that she's still using Bolero (rather it be for Marshalls or for the rest of the tour) cuz I've always dug that song!
Edited to add my thanks to those who have reported already! :)

gatzbee
March 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM
hmmm so if she did 2 fw sequences back to back that means everything in the program, ie. jump sequence, had to be somewhat moved up? so instead of doing the spiral mk was doing more jumps?

im secretly wishing she will skate 4 triples max tom. cuz i'd really rather see her skate more moves than jumps for bolero ;) . i think bolero is highly more successful without that many jumps in the program... but i mean if she's preparing for marshalls, that would be odd that she isn't preparing her spiral since it always draws cheers from the crowds...

if she does bolero for an entire summer, perhaps that is her way of just fully getting her kick out of the music so that perhaps she will look to completely new music next yr... just a thought ;)

scheherazade
March 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Wow -- thanks! I can't wait to see what she does tuesday in Tampa......

GO MICHELLE!!

gatzbee
March 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
splits, i wonder what she'll do too. seems rather odd if she switched her program right after marshalls. after all she didn't switch her program last yr did she? or was marshalls before COI started? i can't remember. this is def. one of the most interesting developments for mk and coi imo ;) . i'll be so jealous if mk takes out jumps for the rest of coi and fills up the program with more in betweens! :b and if she does do that i'll never get to see it cuz i doubt she'd do bolero for a televised exhibition... or would she... haha ;)

BVsmurfette
March 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
YAY! I'm seeing COI next Sunday in NJ, so I 'm so excited to get to see Bolero LIVE. (though i am not too excited about that long-sleeved dress!)

I <heart> MK!

jennygirlasa
March 26th, 2005, 07:38 PM
wow, it sounds like MK is skating well....its almost as if she is saying...haha...you all are counting me out...I wouldn't just yet. :)

Jarrett
March 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Wait a minute... no tights reports? :rollin Could someone please tell me if they were hanging loose or tucked in? Thanks! lol

Katie
March 26th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Tights were back to normal some one wrote earlier :)
:SP Where was that spiral?

Grace
March 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Jarrett, she added body jewelry along the sides of the tights, and then she used felt pen to do swirlies around her knee region.

Oh, and lots of blinking lights. Don't know where the light switch to it was, but must have been hidden well somewhere.

I think it was tucked in, definitely tucked in.

Oh wait, I never went, so I don't know what I'm talking about ;P

Jarrett
March 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Grace :|

MKsmiral
March 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Bolero!! Can I tell you how excited I am for tomorrow night!! I was secretly hoping for this - a very smart decision IMO, especially with Marshall's on Tuesday. And the tour is so short this year, just over a month. And 6-triples - awesome.:angel

Nathan
March 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Do you think her new exibition program isn't choreographed yet, because she spent so much time changing Bolero from Nationals to Worlds? It seems rather strange that she'd want to skate a competetive long program every night for the length of the tour? (Talk about taxing on the body)

I dunno. She might have asked Collins if she could just practice it until Marshalls, and then take some time to work on an another exihibition piece that she'll debut in a couple weeks, or whenever it's done.

I'm curious? How did the crowd receive Bolero as an exibibition piece?

Did she skate with her hair down? Or up?

BTW that gold dress would look to die for in theater lighting! It's already something I could see Chita Rivera in! I say the nix the fancy practice dress and GO FOR THE GOLD!

Very nice to hear that she did 6 triples in a program again cleanly. Can't wait to see what happens at Marshalls. I think she'll end the competetive season strong, with a nice win.

Shiprock
March 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, I would be interested to see Michelle skate Bolero in an exhibition with the pressure off. Will have to wait and see if she keeps it or not for the rest of the COI. I rather see her skate to Bolero than another vocal one in COI. :TOS

MoonKitty02
March 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Her hair was down for the show. I must say, I missed the tight detail from where I was sitting, lol. She looked very satisfied with the performance afterwards. :)

michellekwanluvr
March 27th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Hey guys,

For Easter my parents got me tickets to go with 1 other person to the show today in Boston! This will be my first time I can see the grace of Michelle on ice.. LIVE ... in PERSON! I can't wait, and I am sooooooooooooooooooo EXCITED to see B O L E R O!! I don't care what anyone else says. I will take extreme close looks at everything that she does, and have at least the best report of her, and maybe Sasha... ;) and then pictures.. I'll have them up here tomorrow! I can't wait! Send good vibes to darling Michelle! <3

Lucy
March 27th, 2005, 04:58 AM
When does Sasha skate? Does it go Sasha, Irina, T&M, then Michelle?

loopschick
March 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM
When does Sasha skate? Does it go Sasha, Irina, T&M, then Michelle?

From what I recall, the end of the show is Elvis, Sasha, Johnny, Irina, T&M, Michelle ...

Jayne

vive_la_reine
March 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Thank you all for the reviews.

It sounds like the show rocked and that Michelle's COI Bolero did as well. Six Triples. Wow! :eek

GMAN
March 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Did she get a standing O? I hope so:) Thanks for all the reviews!! I'm excited to hear what happens at tonight's show!

lunti81
March 27th, 2005, 10:03 AM
About BOLERO.....

At the beginning of the season - Marshall's and Campbell's - many of us here, after hearing that MK was still tweaking Bolero, as she stated that it was still a work in progress, concluded that it will continue to evolve as she fits the program into COP friendly LP.

But even before that, a couple of regular posters (and myself) floated the idea that maybe MK wants to skate to Bolero for the Oly.

Now, wait a minute, don't kill me just yet.

It appears to me that Bolero is the least favorite LP (in the sense of Music choice) that MK has done, including Tosca (though the way she performed it was just classic), and Schez.

But the fact that MK really wanted perfect this program which includes skating it for COI means that she genuinely love the music. She had made many changes to it and somehow kept it. Remember "A Day In The Life" and "Miraculous Mandarin", she got rid of those programs even though they were already nicely choreographed, more so than Bolero of any versions.

This brings me back to the beginning of my suggestion: Could this suggest that this whole season is just a testing ground for MK so that next year she will have perfected Bolero?

The 6 triple jumps at the first stop of COI (couple with the 3 flip at the opening and another triple and 4 double axels in a row at the closing) suggest that she really wants to keep her jumps during this spring and summer.

And that again brings me back to my post here a couple of months ago: Now that she has got her jumps in line (including the lutz, salchow (per COI) and maybe 3 loop in 3-3 with the Salchow), could it be that she is planning on re-choreographing Bolero to fit COP for the OLY?

machina111
March 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Maybe she is trying to keep all of her triples consistent thru the summer so she can really tackle everything even early in the fall next season. I think it's great that she's practicing a 6 triple long program with Marshalls coming up.

iloveskating
March 27th, 2005, 10:27 AM
..floated the idea that maybe MK wants to skate to Bolero for the Oly.I too have wondered about this. After the poor showing with it this season, I thought maybe she would scrap it & start over for Olys. But given her statements that she has thought about using Bolero for a long time & finally felt ready for it, I can't help but wonder. ANY program that MK does next year is going to have to be a lot different from what she's done the past few years, Bolero or not. I don't think we've seen even a hint of what Dean had in mind for this program. All we can do is wait & see!
:SJ

MoonKitty02
March 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM
G-Man, she had quite a few people on their feet but not everybody. Of course, the Civic Center was by no means packed for the event either :| Still, she got the best reception of the afternoon I would say. ;)

Nathan
March 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
For me her keeping Bolero would be the first stab in heart of her not winning an Olympic gold medal. The second would be if she decided not to do the Grand Prix. The third would be if she changed coaches.

The only reason I like that program is because I support Michelle unconditionally. If any other skater did that program I would trash it to no end, because the music and choreography do nothing for a singles skater. It's perfect for a Dance Team, maybe even a Pairs team, because they're capable of all types of spins, and choreography, and throw jumps, which would go along with the music a little better. (Personally I think it'd be a great program for Petrova and Tik)

Michelle is the only singles skater that I think could possibly make that program work. (And by "work" I mean it to be an effective program that moves me in some way) and she doesn't really, IMHO.

If she loves the music thats fine, but she doesn't skate it with NEARLY the same amount of commitment and passion that she skates other programs with, Spartacus, YRMU.ect... So her love is not coming through the program for me. And more importantly, the judges dont' really seem to like the program.

I think the big difference between Bolero and Tosca, and Aranjuez is when she skated a flawed Tosca or Aranjuez, the program still worked. With Bolero if she doesnt' land all the jumps perfectly, and nail the footwork the program just is flat.

Michelle's greatest ability is to "sell a program" to make it a successful, and to fill you with great excitement and joy for what she's just done the ice. For me Bolero just leaves looking forward to something else.

Having said all that, if she decides to keep it for next season, then i'll just suck it up, put a smile on my face, and support her in whatever way I can.

BTW Didn't she state in a press conference that she didn't plan to keep Bolero for next season? Or am I just making that up?

Debbie
March 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I suspect she's only doing Bolero now b/c of the cheesefest Tuesday. After all, practice time is limited on tour and this may be the only chance she'll have to run through her program before Tuesday.

Although it could be that since this year's tour is so short, Michele decided not to put together a new exhibition program, but I don't think that's it. I'm sure she'll change programs after Tuesday. I'll be at D.C. COI Friday so I'll keep you posted.

And seeing "You Raise Me Up" again wouldn't be so bad.

probativev
March 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Oh God Please let her not keep Bolero for next year if she decides to compete. I'm glad she took on the challenge of trying it, but it's really got to go. Maybe we can all bombard her with CDs in the mail and see if she couldn't find SOMETHING else she might like????!!!!

I don't mind seeing what she does with it as an Exhibition program though if she wants to perfect it.

TAF2984
March 27th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Maybe she is keeping Bolero as an exhibition because she wants to practice a full load of jumps to get her consistency back and since this is a long program she could actually do it instead of choreographing an entirely new program which would basically be a new long? I also hope she has new programs for next year.

Grace
March 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I'm almost positive she would not be keeping Bolero for next season if she's going to skate to it for COI.

I do NOT like the Bolero program and I agree with you Natephame... although I disliked Tosca as well. However, I am the same as you, I will support Michelle with whatever program she wishes to skate.. even if I do not like it.

attyfan
March 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe, the 6 triple version of "Bolero" is intended both (1) to show that she can do it and (2) to prepare for the cheesefest. However, Michelle did mention "Bolero" as an Oly program, so maybe she will keep it for an exhibition.

MKandNYYfan
March 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I agree with those who speculate Michelle is just using "Bolero"to tune up for Marshall's. Perhaps she has a bad taste in her mouth over not reaching her peak with this program, and wants to give it one last try. I would think if she didn't have a new exhibition ready just yet, she'd reuse "YRMU", but in doing "Bolero", she can keep it going, hopefully having a "perfect" performance at Marshall's! At least, I really, really hope so!

I know several people have stated they thought she hinted at keeping "Bolero" for next season. I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong here! what was said was she wanted to use the music next year, but Rafeal said not for the Olympic year, use it now (last year).

I agree with many of you, I'll support Michelle regardless what she chooses to skate to, but I hope she chooses something that brings out her passion and personality!

gatzbee
March 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM
hey, i just got back from COI a little while ago. the train ride was pretty quick. yes mk skated to bolero once more. very similar to worlds

2a
3f2t
3z
3f
3s
SMIRAL, and Y spiral
3z
SFL
fw, SFL
death drop, (i think) sit spin
sort of like the ending at worlds, BUT she does a KNEE SLIDE with her arms back and her back slightly arched back.

she got the closest thing to a standing O (tho it wasn't a complete standing O) and the crowds were roaring for her from start to finish. there were some mk fans on one side in the front row who had this orange sign that said WE <HEART> MICHELLE and mk def. noted that and gestured to them, and every time she'd pass by them they'd scream. :) overall i thought her program was great. i really don't get as much sometimes from exhibitions cuz i can't see her face all the time like on tv, but i def. liked what i saw ;) . her jumps were all textbook perfect. if only she landed them all like that at worlds! the fw was great and she did 2 running steps instead of just 1 set. everyone around me i think was there waiting to see michelle cuz her name was like the one that was mentioned from like beginning to end. i wish i was in the front row when she went around with the other skaters at the very end to high five ppl :b her spins tho were modified, some moves i think were cut out. i still prefer the campbells opening tho ;) , my fav! i wonder what she'll do after marshalls.

anyhow thats all i can remember right now, but just wanted to put down what i could remember from mk while it was still fresh in my memory. i'll post about some other skaters that caught my attn in a bit. o yea, and sasha was not in the opening AT ALL. i wonder what happened. she did do her babs number later tho...

kwanette
March 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Gatzbee, thanks....Sounds awesome..Wow!

The Kween is not dead! Long live the Kween!

kylita
March 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I also went to today's show and I don't remember seeing Sasha in either the closing or opening numbers. I was able to take some photos- if anyone's interested the few non-blurry ones are up at photos.yahoo.com/kylita2001

BrenMT
March 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Well, I know this is COI and not the Michelle show, but WOW, WOW, WOW was she AWESOME!! I just have to start out with her. This was the performance I had been waiting for all season. This was the Bolero we knew it could be. 2 axel, 3 flip/2 toe, 3 lutz, 3 flip, 3 salchow, 3 lutz. Yes, 2 FLIPS and 2 LUTZES. Everything perfectly landed. Spiral, straight-line footwork, flying leaf, the whole deal. She was fast, crisp, everything secure and flowed from one move to the next. By the end I couldn’t contain myself. I jumped to my feet, and boy did she look pleased with herself. Biggest standing O of the night without a doubt, the only one really.

To top the night off, she did 4 double axels in the finale, one right after the other. After the first one I was like wow, then she just kept on going, and each one got better and stronger than the one before it. Wow was she on tonight!! I wish this had been on TV!!

Now, onto the rest of the show…

Intro…Sasha was a no-show
Viktor: 2 axel
Jennifer Kirk: 3 toe (step out)
Timothy: something, then 2 axel
T&M: split 2 twist, throw 3 loop good
Rudy: shoot the duck, 2 axel
Surya: 3 sal, backflip
B&A
Elvis: 3 toe (turn out)
Amber Corwin (a lot of people went “Who?”)
Johnny: 3 toe
Orschar & Lucash (sp?): weird fall on nothing, throw 3 sal (hand down)
Anissina & Peizerat: neat front flip over things by Anissina
MK: 2 flip

Act One:
Amber Corwin: 3 sal, 3 toe axel/ 2 toe, 2 axel
Although nobody really knew who she was when she came out & gave her polite applause, she skated as best as I’ve ever seen her. I bet she’ll have a fun time on this tour.

Katie Orscar & Garret Lucash: nice throw 3 sal, weird fall again on nothing
They’ve got some nice tricks in their arsenal, which is good to see. I think it’s going to take some getting used to skating in the lights & all. She had another weird fall just stroking really, and it make me jittery watching them the rest of the time. Lots of potential with this team.

Rudy Galindo (“Celebration/Last Dance”): chair & fur coat, 2 axel, spinning down the ice on chair, 3 toe wild landing, strip down, 2 toe, 2 axel.
I could have done without the whip he brought out, but other than that Rudy does what he doest best-entertain. I felt kinda bad for him though. Maybe he would like to skate to something different one of these days.

Jennifer Kirk (Evita-woah did she get hair extensions?): 3 toe, spiral into nice 3 flip, 3 toe.
Nice to see her skate so well. I think she really liked this program, and suited her well.

Dan Hollander (Richard Simmons): 2 axel, 1 axel/1axel/2toe/2toe with music (jumps as Richard counts off in lyrics), 3 sal, 2 toe, backflip. Has he always been a lefty?
Cute idea, didn’t take on the audience as well as some of his past stuff, but it’s only the 2nd show of the tour. As soon as “Dancing with Myself” came on I immediately thought of Rudy.

Surya Bonaly: 3 loop, 3 toe, 3 sal, backflip.
No fake tights! Did she & MK trade places?

Viktor Petrenko (Mack the Knife): 2 axel, 3 toe, lots of dancing.

Anissina & Peizerat (Star Wars): I realized tonight just how much I miss this team. Nice innovative and interesting lifts, footwork, tricks. I really enjoyed seeing them again, as well as their performance. But how can she see with all that hair?

And with the first Act, which seemed unusually short BTW, Intermission…..

Act Two:
Hoola Hoop Lady

Timmy: 3 sal, 3 flutz, 2 axel, 3 toe.
A very different program for Tim. Nicely skated, but kinda blah. But definitely ditch the costume.

Belbin & Agosto: a shortened gypsy FD. Nice and crisp. I love this team!!

Acrobats: more creative than years past. First they’re speed skaters, then swimmers, then the Red Sox and the Patriots, which got a nice approval from the Boston crowd. Same tricks and some new ones, a good crowd pleaser overall. Definitely better than the tutu-tutus they used to wear. I bet they feel a lot less silly now.

Elvis: 3 toe, 2 axel, nice sit spin, dancing, 3 stars into butterfly. Does anyone remember when he used to do 7 or 8 in a row?
On a night where it seemed like a lot of the skaters were still tired from the competitive season, it was nice to see Elvis come out with such speed and attack.

Sasha: a nice “surprise” after not being in the opening, 2 toe (turn out), 2 sal.
Not the best from Sasha. My 14-year-old neighbor who came with me mentioned the part about the “spill” in the song just as Sasha doubled her 3 toe, and I thought it was too funny cause she brought it up all by herself how it fits Sasha.

Johnny (“Unchained Melody”): 3 lutz (almost landed in the skaters’ entrance), 3 toe, cool sideways leaning camel, tons of stars into last spin. Am I missing a jump here?
The more I see Johnny in person, the more impressed I get. He’s fast, crisp, excellent edges, solid presentation, great spinner. The music did make me think of Underhill & Martini though.

Irina (“Oops…I Did it Again”): 3 loop, 3 toe/2 toe slow.
Umm, don’t the Russians know that 6 years after the fact a song isn’t popular anymore? Lol loud groans were heard in my section when the opening notes played. She’s definitely perky though.

Totmyanina & Marinin: throw 3 loop nice, sbs 3 toes great!, split twist, 1arm split lift, death spiral.
The more I see this team, the more I like them. They’re so much more fluid and poised than ever before. I remember when they did West Side Story and I wanted to crawl in a hole and die…no more of that!

And last but certainly not least….MK!!!!

Well, I already said how she did, but just to reiterate: 2 axel, 3 flip/2 toe, 3 lutz, 3 flip, 3 salchow, 3 lutz!! Yeah, BABY! She did it all! She was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I have to admit that I was still coming down from my MK high that I was not focused on taking notes during the closing, which was a country-western number again. I bet the skaters feel kinda silly having to do this. At least Michelle had minimal choreography, she only really led everyone down the ice at the end of it as they followed pushing big fences.
Other notes….oh yeah, MK and her 4 double axels! That was AWESOME! She just kept on going like a little energizer bunny…and they got better with each one! Hoola lady with her hair down made me do a double take--was that Anjelika Krylova?..lol…and wow does Tatiana have like a 12-pack she is fit!!…and Katie Orschar falls again on stroking…this was a much shorter show in years past, just over 2 hours including intermission and the fact that it started 10 minutes late…we made the early train from the FleetCenter for the first time ever. It was still well worth the $$ though, thanks especially to MK and Bolero!!! There were almost no falls at all, except for Katie Orschar, and Jenny Kirk in the finale taking a hard one on a 2 axel.

You could tell it was the end of the season b/c most were slower than usual, but everyone still landed all their jumps and there were almost no falls or doubles. MK wore her purple/blue dress from Worlds QR for Bolero with her hair part-way down, and she had such attack and grace.

My favorites tonight..MK, Johnny, T&M, and B&A….but of course Michelle Rached!!!!!

Woo hoo…tix for next’s year Olympic tour have gone up considerable…$150 for two front rows..then $120 for “VIP”….yikes!!

Lanternlight
March 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't necessarily assume that MK is considering keeping Bolero. This may be just until le cheezfest.

I went today and had a nice time. I bought an uber cheap seat but I got a free upgrade and I was right in the lower seats by the show.

Michelle was great. Bolero was a much better program live IMO. The jumps were nice and I loved that ending!

loopschick
March 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Just got back from Boston COI ... I was psyched to see Erin, she came by to say Hello before the show ... it was GREAT to see you again, Erin :)

Michelle looked awesome again ... 5 triple Bolero today, LOL. She put the spiral sequence back in, and took out the 3toe at the end, and also the circular footwork that was there yesterday ... she ended yesterday with a scratch spin into the ending pose with her head and arms thrown back and today it was back to the knee slide ending, LOL.

Love the four double axels in the closing ... awesome :)

It's been a great COI weekend, I'm sad it's over though ...

Jayne

P.S. I forgot to mention, I got a hand-slap from Michelle at the end when the skaters did a lap around the rink :D

gatzbee
March 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
ok back... some other things that stood out.

those 2 russian guys who used to do the number as the ballerinas walking on top of each other. i actually liked them this time. they did some number with them pretending to be speed skaters, and then underwater divers, and then stripped off and revealed Red Sox and NE Patriots (Brady) Jerseys. haha, i was in their section when then stripped off their first layer of costume :b they are VERY talented. personally i think they should be allowed to compete in paris comp.'s haha

Irina Gregorian (sp?) hoola hoop girl. same act, tho it was just a little more interesting for me cuz last time i went i don't remember her swirling a giant cube frame around ;) . the cutest part i thought was dan hollander with his HOOP BOY shirt.

irina had a lot of spunk in her program. i don't like britney and skating together, but it was appropro considering she just won another world title... i think irina always skates well with upbeat music.

johnny weir was so fluid on the ice! my fav. male performance of the evening. the movements are just so natural to him.

timmy had a pretty weird costume. i didn't like it at all. in fact i thought the gold embroidering and red on one side of his costume made his overall body look kinda weird. dunno y he didn't just have a simpler costume... but i believe he skated well. i just can't remember that music at all lol ;)

kirk did her evita number. not bad, but chicago will stand as my fav. program from her. i think she should find a jazzy LP next yr cuz that seems to work to her advantage... i think she may have had trouble on 1 landing. i know in the opening she had a little trouble on a landing, and in the closing she fell on a 2a i think...

i can't remember too much of sasha. she doubled her first jump i think, and may have had some problem with her landing on it. i wonder y she wasn't in the opening... i thought the music worked fine with her. i liked it better than when i saw it at worlds on tv. she has very dancelike moves, and i thought they went well with the music, tho i think its more natural and 2nd nature for her to do music like R&J.

the opening with mk was cool. she skated to that Lenny Kravitz song, something like "She's my lady" (? i forget the title) but i thought it was so appropriate for her ;) . the crowd went wild when they saw her come out. all i can remember is her doing an illusion spin cuz i rarely see her do that. in the ending she did do 4 2a's in a ROW. yoswers.... and i guess part of the act was like everyone was surrounding her waiting to see if she could do it and she did, so they clapped and we were all clapping too haha... she nailed each one from what i can remember.

and the new US pairs champs, Orshack and __? (im so bad with any names in pairs!) they had a slip up in the opening i believe and then ANOTHER slipup in their program i think where like they literally got a little discombobulated and she sort of slipped onto the ice, not a major fall or anything.

there were some whispers around me before the french olympic dance champs took to the ice. im wondering if it was in rxn to the SLC scandal since the deal was to get a vote for the french dance team i believe. anyhow that may not have been it and my ears were just playing tricks on me hehe ;) . but they did a good number. i THINK they did a star wars number. correct me if im wrong...

rudy galindo always gets the crowd going with his numbers.

petrenko's number was good. im just having a mental block in naming the type of music. but i enjoyed it much more than his Who Let the Dogs Out number he did i think in 2002... <shudder>

i thought dan hollander's performance was funny. he was pretending he was some overweight guy working out to richard simmons.

hmmm thats all i can remember. i was so happy to finally get to SEE the skaters faces this time since i was in the 4th row. the 2 other times i went i was too far to really see any detail. hopefully next yr i'll get slightly closer and more to the center ;)

MKandNYYfan
March 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
What a great report! I would never remember all those details! Thanks! Did all the skaters do the opening except Sasha? And she was in the closing number? That is odd, since it's the 2nd show she didn't do it. Hope she's not injured.

justsk8
March 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Thank you so much for all the reviews everyone!! I really hope that she's keeping Bolero for the whole tour, because if not, I won't see it because I don't see the show till after Marshall's. Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me for her to just skate it the whole tour. Why?
1. Didn't have to take the time to make a new program for a tour that's only 1 month long
2. Gets to keep her jumps up to speed even though she's not practicing regularly
3. And this is the most important- because she loves the music and can have good memories skating to it
4. And if she is indeed thinking about keeping it for next season, while I won't bet on it, I think is a very good possibility, she can play around with some choreography. It seems like that's what she's been doing already, with just 2 shows under her belt.
I feel like I may be in the minority, but I don't think Bolero is a bad choice. If she really loves the music, and wants to be skating to it, she should.

honey827
March 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the reviews ounds like Michelle has been really on so far at both shows. I am surprised Sasha is not in the opening.

loopschick
March 27th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Splits ... I totally agree with your Bolero reasoning :) We'll see what happpens, I guess ... I'm really interested to hear reports from the rest of the tour ...

Jayne

MKsmiral
March 27th, 2005, 04:44 PM
BrenMT - great report; how did you remember all those details? (And thanks to everyone else for their comments). I just got back from the show myself and pretty much agree with everything you said.

Boston sure loves Michelle! The crowd went crazy for her every time she hit the ice, and she had a huge smile on her face the whole time - just glowing. She was really "on" tonight; all her jumps were beautiful; she did two SFL's, one right in front of me. I loved the ending with the knee slide (she throws her head and arms back & arches her back - very pretty). Definitely the largest ovation of the night and a good portion of the audience was standing for her - she looked so happy.

The finale was great - the skaters really got the audience to participate and clap along. And 4 double axels from MK (after a 5 triple Bolero just a few minute earlier!).

I like Sasha's new program. She doubled both jumps and took out the Russian split, but otherwise, it was a very nice performance. Weird that she's not in the Opening or Closing, though.

I also loved Tanith & Ben, Johnny and A&P - Overall a great time.:)

gatzbee
March 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM
i was wondering if maybe sasha had possibly some injury since her jumps weren't too on and she wasn't in the opening or closing.... tho the rest of her moves in her program i thought were pretty nice and solid.

brenmt, WOW did u take actual notes during the show??? :rollin thats the most detailed boston report so far! lol

in one way i was hoping to see the circular fw hehe since that would be new, but it was nice to see a smiral up close :)

im so glad i actually got to witness a knee slide sort of ending with bolero live! interesting how from yesterday to today, the choreo. changed a bit. this has got to be the only LP where it doesn't seem to be the exact same thing every time we see it lol ;) . ive always wondered if perhaps the knee slide would be there if she was more on time with her music, b/c today she def. finished on time, no doubt about it... man i wish they would still televise COI. i'd love to see another bolero on tv. the only thing i still wish mk would do is 1 spin into her COE spiral, instead of 2 spins in a row. i wonder y she changed that after nats...

i have a feeling if she is doing this for an entire month, that this could very well be a goodbye to bolero. it just seems more of a skate to satisfy herself with the music, since this season started out very promising but didn't reach that sort of apex--a la a tosca nats exploding passion on the beat of the music performance of 2004--we were all hoping for. who knows really.

but everything in that performance tonite was just so dead on IMO. ive never seen her skate that many wonderful triples live! :D

Fumbilicious
March 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your reports and to Kylita for sharing your photos! :)

sunkissed22
March 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I heard somewhere that Sasha has a groin injury? Thus explaining her no-show in the opening and finale, and her double jumps.

MKsmiral
March 27th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Groin injury? ... Ouch.

I still find it odd that she didn't at least skate in the opening for a few minutes just to be introduced - she's not required to jump or anything. Guess we'll find out more info. on Tuesday.

P.S. Kylita - thanks for the pictures.

Eeyora
March 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Got back from COI Boston a couple of hours ago it was awsome. Michelle was awsome. You guys have great and thorough reports.

Sasha was definitely not in the opening number. I didn't see her in the closing either. However I know someone who was also at the show and sat where the skaters came out and said she indeed saw Sasha.

Okay my report will be very simple. I have a paper due tommorrow night.

Amber was lovely

Orscher/Lucash: all I can say is ouch. They struggled with every move. They fought through their program.

Jenny is such a joy to watch.

Rudy was a riot. Loved his number. At first my mother was afraid when she saw a chair as a prop. We hate when they use chairs but he used it well.

Surya- performed her usual amazing acrobatics.

Dan Hollender- His program was the funniest thing I have seen in years. I couldn't stop laughing. He is a genious.

Victor- The number started out kinda blah. But it came together at the end. Perfect music choice.

Annisina and Peizerat: Loved them. I hadn't seen them in person before. Their moves still amaze me

Irina Grigorian- I liked the concept of the program but it was still the same old moves.

Timmy- Right on that costume was just plain awful. It made him look heavier than he is. I don't know if the classical approach works for him.

Vladamir and Alexei-Totally agree. other years I have not really cared for them in the past. They have done the same old circus acrobat many times. But their new program is great. I loved it. They have quite a few new tricks. Clever.

Belbin and Agosto- I was really looking forward to seeing them in person they do have some excellent moves. But their Gypsy dance didn't really excite me that much. I do like the number. I have seen it to many times on TV.

Elvis- Typical Elvis, puts a smile on your face

Sasha- Loved her "Funny Girl" number.The music really suits her. However she seemed off to me today.I thought her music was too loud

Johnny- Best male skater of the night. I love his spins. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

Irina- She has such a fun energy to watch. She was so fun to watch.

T/M- They wree beautiful and steady but nothing really wowed me.

Michelle- huge ovation as the music started. A few gasps as Bolero started playing. I was a little uneasy about her keeping this number for COI. But I loved it. I think it is actually better suited for an exhibition than a competitive program. I was in total awe. I was in tears for her. I love the new dramatic ending pose. She received the closest thing to a standing "O".
The arena was only half full probably due to the Easter Holiday.

Fourth row was awseome. Kudos to Michelle,Rudy,the acrobats Belbin and Agosto, Surya, and Tim for covering all sides of the Arena.

Loved the Finale and I'm not a how down peron. The men did a great job interacting with the audience. Especially Ben A.

At the end of the finale I ran down the aisle to the edge of the boards. I got high fives from Victor, Elvis and Marina Annisina I was so ecstatic. "They touched me". Michelle skated by but then gave me a wink and a nod. I was in heaven.

A PERFECT ENDING TO A GREAT SHOW.

BrenMT
March 28th, 2005, 05:05 AM
I always bring a little notebook and a pen to take notes...as long as I abbreviate I don't spend too long looking down at my pad instead of the ice...some girl the aisle next to me had her laptop with her....was that anyone here? I didn't see her actually typing during the skating but she did open it up from time to time...

mano
March 28th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Oh snapola! I want to see COI. I've not gotten tickets for this Sunday at Continental Airlines Arena in NJ! Are they still selling it? Have to check now. Can't believe she's doing Bolero. Thanks for all the reviews people!

michellekwanluvr
March 28th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Well, this was my first show that I have seen, and it was one of the most amazing experiences for me.. I wil just write about what I really enjoyed the most.. and how I remember it..not that they skated in this order, but that doesn't really matter.. anyways..

Jenny: she was gorgeous. I loved the costume. 3 toe, flip, and salchow I believe.. she was just great!
Amber: a nice opening piece, she had 3toe-2toe, 3 sal, and 2 axel in there. nice quiet piece.
Orsher Lucash: they were quite nice, except she kept having problems with easy moves on the ice.. they would have gotten bad skating skills marks if it were being judged:rollin
Timmy: I know a lot of people didn't like this number to "air" by Bach, but I thought it was a NICE change for him. The costume definitely didn't suite him well, but I didn't think it made him look heavy or anything - but I was glad to see him skate, I love him. He had 3 lutz (first difficult jump), 3 toe? maybe a 2 axel.. I taped part of his.. he had really good spins last night.. it was greaT!
Johnny: he was great as well. He is so beautiful when he skates. he pays attention to every move, and is sooo graceful. it was truly special to watch. He had a 3 lutz that came close to the boards, and a 3 toe, and probably a 2 axel.. he was good, but I didn't like the music - although it was just soft and quiet. He was fluid, it was just stunning.
Surya: she was great! Had classical music.. same as Timmy but with a twist to it at parts. She had 3 toe, sal, and loop. probably an axel in there once or twice.. but she was spectacular. She was more graceful that I am used to, and did the backflip and all but it just worked so well! She has a new short hair cut (or new to me) and she just looked great. She is still in such terrific shape.. gosh.. she's great!
Belbin Agosto: they were great.. gypsy costumes and shorter music, with interesting moves and emotion coming out of their ears.. haha. they were nice to see!
Elvis: was great! I have aloways loved his skating, and I love him in exhibition.. he was definitely having fun with the crowd.. it was nice to see. he had 2 axel, once or twice, 3 toe once or twice.. his jumps are kind of slow, and especially on the landing, but he is a great spinner, and is such a character on the ice.
Michelle KWAN: she was just grand. I had read about how she was using Bolero, and this was amazing to me, since it was my first time seeing a skating show, and she was there, skating to her competitive program! She only did 5 triples tonight + 2 axel, but it was still great! She only attempted 5 triples anyways.
2 axel
3 flip-2 toe
3 lutz
3 flip
3 salchow (YES)
3 lutz
it was so neat to see her do this. she had nice speed, and good spins. her first spin whatever it was seemed really slow, but then the rest were great. her footwork was soooooo captivating and emotional, she is a star. i love this girl so much, she is amazing. she did have the only partial standing ovation of the night, but definitely, DEFINITELY had the loudest ROAR before she skated.. they love her! I LOVE HER!

This is mine.. sorry I didnt write about everyone.. they were all great.. but these were the ones that stuck out to me, and it was amazing! GOOD LUCK michelle at the cheesefest tomorrow..?

-Edward

(I have MK's and Timmy's LP posted on my livejournal.. if you want to see them...)

www.livejournal.com/users/bizna8088

ceap
March 28th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Mano,
I would order tickets now...sometimes you get fantastic seats so close to the show.

I went yeaterday and it was great. I think everyone was tired and a little slow.

Sasha must have been injured becuase she doubled all of her jumps.

Hated Timmy's outfit. That was just awful, but he did a great jobs with his jumps! What was that song?

Surya cut her hair! I was shocked. It's a little shorter than shoulder length. She'd probably do great with the COP thins year. Same with Elvis. IMO, they always had better technical than presentation.

T/M, nice moves and jumps, but boring! They wore last year's LP constumes.

Didn't think Jenny sold her Evita number.

Where were Pang and Tong and Evan???????? They were on the list and I was very bummed.

LOVED Annissina and Pezeirat. Star Wars number which was wonderful. Their strengh moves are amazing!

Orcher and Luchash - yikes! They were not on at all. Katie looked so angry when she fell. They fell in the opening and during their number. I've never seen them skate so bad.

Rudy - awesome! He was hysterical and the whole crowd laughing and moving to the music. Doubled some jumps.

Where was Nicole Bobeck? Did Tom Collins drop her or is she doing something else?

MICHELLE was fantastic! The best and the only standing O. About 20 PEOPLE stood for A/P, but Michelle had about 3/4 of the place standing. Her jumps were great and she was smiles all throughout the number. Love that she is the center of this tour. She came out last, she's in the center of the group numbers....LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad it was on Easter, but it wasn't only half full. I'd say 2/3 full.

Edited to add: I'm losing my mind. I just checked the webiste and Evan was never on this tour. I don't know why I thought that! Oooops!

JunJohn21
March 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks Edward, for the vids. I'm d/l Michelle's right now.:)

Edited to add: Wow, I just watched Michelle and right now I wish I could go to Marshalls tomorrow! She was awesome!

attyfan
March 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM
On FSU, there is a report that someone on an SOI board said that Sasha has a groin injury -- hence, the doubled jumps and not appearing in the opening and/or closing.

gatzbee
March 28th, 2005, 12:23 PM
wow Edward, thanks for those vids! im still waiting for em to dl but can't wait to see :D

i wonder wut happened to nicole bobek too... ouch to sasha's groin injury. when she does her spirals would that hurt her? :eek despite her doubled jumps, i thought she still skated great. never would've suspected a groin injury... i remember someone screaming and cheering when she did her layback. u gotta hand it to her, the girl has some great stretch and a remarkable layback position... i wish she was announced in the opening, maybe could've done a layback or something and then left? tho im sure its prolly better she exerts herself as little as possible. but at least she was still there to skate her number :)

o yea and tim's costume, i also thought made the left of his body look unusually large and wide, which is so odd cuz the boy is pretty thin ;) . since its classical, i dunno y he didn't just skate to a simple black and red design. the gold just was ugh... made it seem like it was a circus, yet he was doing classical music :(

COI tix for 06 are on sale already??? hmmm...

Kwanstruck
March 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I'm glad the hoola hoop lady is still there!!! I like her!!! :D :D :D

kwanluv
March 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Bolero huh...wow...she's practicing for Marshall's...good for her!

Jarrett, she added body jewelry along the sides of the tights, and then she used felt pen to do swirlies around her knee region.

Oh, and lots of blinking lights. Don't know where the light switch to it was, but must have been hidden well somewhere.:lol Grace...I needed a good laugh today. :lol

honey827
March 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Edward I was wondering if you could repost the video links it has run out of the allotted bandwidth.

justsk8
March 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks again for all the reviews, and I forgot to thank for the pictures in my last post!

Also I'm echoing what honey asked- could someone pretty please reupload Michelle's program? I promise I will do the same after I dl it! :) Thanks!!

~Kim

HoneyGalJ
March 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reviews everybody. Hopefully, I can attend the Beaumont one. What vids are you talking about? I tried to find them but nada.

justsk8
March 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
michellkwanluvr had posted video of Michelle's program and some of Tim's, but the link for Michelle's expired because enough people downloaded it already. I don't know about Tim's cuz I didn't check it.

gbpisces
March 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Can somebody repost the vids, pretty please.........
Cant wait to see Michelle here in San Jose next month;) ;) ;)

HoneyGalJ
March 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks Splits. I was looking everywhere for a link but he didn't provide one. Maybe I should read more carefully.

Nicalash
March 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
How was she being introduced? Sorry if someone already asked this.

loopschick
March 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
How was she being introduced? Sorry if someone already asked this.

I think it was "she's a 5 time world champion and a 9 time US champion, America's own Michelle Kwan"

sunkissed22
March 28th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I'm re-uploading Michelle's COI exhibition as I type...it may take awhile.

sunkissed22
March 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM
s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?...N5BDQBQHP3 (http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1KQBDGG1AXM4K2XGN5BDQBQHP3)
here you go! It looks like it was filmed from Edward's perspective, so Michelle's a bit hard to see sometimes, but regardless, a video's a video! Thank you Edward for providing the original link, and hope ya enjoy the vid Splits!:D

kwanderful
March 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks to Edward for creating and sharing the file, and thanks to sunkissed22 for reuploading it.

Michelle was absolutely awesome.

s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?...028XUR9TLN (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14YAYGN557TAV0YG028XUR9TLN)

I have reuploaded the file here.

Edited to change the link to an active one

justsk8
March 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
(I'm not excited to dl her program, can you tell? ;) )

~Kim

Eeyora
March 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I tried to download it but couldn't. I was there on Sun and would like to save the file but I got the message couldn't open because it is not a file quick time understands any suggestions.

kwanderful
March 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Eeyora:

sunkissed22's file opened for me when I downloaded it earlier, and it's still active now. I just tested my link and the file played also. My main guess would be that the file didn't download completely, or you may need to update your version of quicktime. I'm far from a techie, so if anyone else has any other ideas, that would be great.

Also, thanks for your review and I am glad you had a great time!

Aslan's Girl
March 28th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Is there a "direct link" for her COI vid? I don't have yousendit's program downloaded, and am wondering if there was any other way of getting it besides yousendit. Thanks!!!

Sheekah1
March 29th, 2005, 07:22 AM
The video expired again could someone put it back up pretty please?

justsk8
March 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I got the video thanks so much! I will go upload it again right now, although with my connection it will take awhile!
John317, you don't need a special program to download with yousendit, you just click on the link that is given and then click on "Download this file" or whatever it says. Then it asks you if you want to open or save the file, and you choose Save, and then choose where on your computer you want to save it to.

honey827
March 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks Splits in advance for reposting the vid.

HoneyGalJ
March 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Can someone repost the vid?

boredlikewhoa
March 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM
s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?i...4NHG5SZE5M (http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05L9RNJ44IO2W1Y54NHG5SZE5M)

HoneyGalJ
March 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

masteroftheuniverse04
March 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
it expired again :(

gongli
March 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Can someone please repost? I promise to repost when I get it and I hope others do the same.

Deetlebug
March 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
When and where is the first COI show AFTER the Marshalls competition tonight?

And who from here is going that will be giving us a report?

I am sure I'm not the only one curious to see if Michelle skates Bolero on the tour after the Marshalls comp. 8o

Bolero or something else, either is fine with me. I'm just curious to see how she decides to perform when all the competitions are done with.

Especially since I think she is already showing her drive and motivation gearing up for next season by having skated Bolero in COI with so many jumps.

deetles -
----who still thinks Kwan will get her Olympic gold medal even though so many in the skating community are writing her off. :eek

KwanPassion
March 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Edited: Can someone repost the link? It was acting weird and now it's expired. Thanks in advance!

TwinnerA
March 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Once a person (me actually) has downloaded, can I send it back or upload it? Not sure how this works.

boredlikewhoa
March 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?i...0TR3PS38SF (http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2R9NFTTWQ1YSU0CS0TR3PS38SF)

Grace
March 29th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Twinner, here is how to use YSI (taken from our Downloads section:)

10. How do I share using YouShareIt or YouSendIt?

- On the front page, enter #1 - a friend's email address that you want to send the link to where to download the file from. Or send it to yourself with your own address.
- Browse and Select the file you wish to share.
- Click on "Send".

There is no indication of how far in the upload you are with the file except for the status bar and the fact that your mouse has turned into an hour glass in the YSI window. Please note that you have a very large file, it will take several hours to upload. a 130 megabyte file will take approximately an hour and a half to two hours to upload. This is on a fast cable connection.

10b. Another explanation of how to upload using You Send It:
1. Go to s33.yousendit.com/
2. In "Recipient's Email Address:", just put your own e-mail addy.
3. Where it says Browse, just click and find the file on your computer.
4. Hit "send it" further down the page.
5.The file will upload. After it's done, a page will come up, and the URL of the new file will be there. Just copy and paste that here. And that's it :)

As long as a few people reupload, we should be fine. If several links expire, then others can reupload later.

Please post all downloads in the downloads section since this may get pretty lengthy if everyone starts taking clips at COI and offering them here (due to requests for reuploads and such). The thread will most likely get longer than usual. I would suggest using the Downloads section to upload your vid, and then simply link to the thread within your review. That way, reuploads, requests for reuploads can grow from there. Thanks!

Cloud Nine Downloads Section @ MKF:
p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanforumfrm20 (http://p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanforumfrm20)

I love michelle
March 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Is someone going to repost the vid from COI?.. Thx!

THIZfiyaVIETgrl
March 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM
It'd be nice if some of the many who have downloaded it would share them on rinkside. To those who were kind enough to upload them, I thank you.

justsk8
March 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I reuploaded the file. It took forever, but here is is finally! It's hard to see Michelle because of the spotlights, but neat to watch anyway.
s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?...QXMFB0R0VM (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EJ2QDQ35LQ5N3MOQXMFB0R0VM)

ETA that I just saw your post Grace. I'm gonna leave the link here because I bet it will expire soon anyway, but I won't post any more in this thread, I promise. :)

~Kim

THIZfiyaVIETgrl
March 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Thank you so much Splits. When I'm finished downloading, you guys are welcome to download it off of me on rinkside. I'll set myself to active mode so you guys can get it.

brenlynn
March 29th, 2005, 11:40 PM
i took a lot of photos, and hopefully someday i'll get them all online. but, i figured i'd come share a few of the really great michelle ones i took over the course of last weekend.

opening number:
img.photobucket.com/album...CN0119.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/brenlynn/DSCN0119.jpg)
img.photobucket.com/album...CN0229.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/brenlynn/DSCN0229.jpg)
img.photobucket.com/album...CN0399.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/brenlynn/DSCN0399.jpg)

bolero:
img.photobucket.com/album...CN0327.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/brenlynn/DSCN0327.jpg)

i'll try to get all my photos online sometime this week - i went to the rehersal, hartford, and boston so as you can imagine... i took a lot of photos!

Cole50
March 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Brenlynn...I do hope you get more up because those are absolutely gorgeous photos. Love 'em!! Thanks for sharing.

mano
March 30th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the pics Brenlynn, they're excellent! Michelle's smile, there's something about it! She looks so radiant and happy out there!

Grace
March 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM
OMG those are GORGEOUS photos, what camera do you use!?

Thanks so much for sharing - I'd love to see more!!

Krista
March 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Wow those are great brenlynn :D

I especially love the Bolero one. :)

Sheekah1
March 31st, 2005, 05:48 AM
Those are really great pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing.

iloveskating
March 31st, 2005, 04:26 PM
The next COI stops are:

Washington, DC
MCI Center
4/01/05
7:30 pm

Philadelphia, PA
Wachovia Center
4/02/05

I would be pretty sure that someone from MKF will be at these programs. :)

MarcellaMichelle
March 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm sure Handlem9z and his hat will be at the MCI Center.8)

justsk8
March 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM
The pictures are great!! Thanks so much! :)

~Kim

handlem9z
March 31st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Marcella:

I'm sure Handlem9z and his hat will be at the MCI Center

Oh yesssssss, I'll be at COI in DC tomorrow, but I'll be wearing the duplicate Michelle Hat. The signed one from Marshals is in a display case in my living room :D

I'm not getting too fancy with the sign making, but I'll be bringing neon yellow letters "MKF" to hold up.

I'd love to have another MK encounter. I wish I knew how to get a backstage pass.....Shep, Michelle, anyone if you're reading pleasssssssse give me one handlem9z@aol.com (can't blame a guy for trying can ya) :lol

Just curious, whats the best way to have any chance of getting an autograph or saying something to them? I know the kiss and cry works pretty good at the competitions. What do they have t COI?

pookybear19
March 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM
OMG those are GORGEOUS photos, what camera do you use!?

Brenlynn, I'd LOVE to know where you were sitting and what camera you used too! Your photos are amazing!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

loopschick
April 1st, 2005, 02:33 AM
www.nj.com/entertainment/...183500.xml (http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/1112334831183500.xml)

Kwan plans to skate a new routine to a recording by the late singer Eva Cassidy. "It's one of those pieces of music that you just like to skate to," she said. "It's a more over-the-rainbow type piece."

Can't wait to hear reports !!! Glad I got to see Bolero in person finally, but bummed I won't get to see this ... oh well.

Jayne

Googoo
April 1st, 2005, 05:52 AM
brenlynn--did you use flash? Those pics came out wonderfully!

Mano--I hope you go to the NJ show! It'd be nice to see ya! :) :)

TwinnerA
April 1st, 2005, 06:02 AM
handleM9z, you could trying waiting outside the venue where the buses are parked or at the exit if they come from underground parking like I did when COI came to town a couple of years ago. Michelle came riding out in a golf cart and stopped to give us an autograph and she was the only one that even came out! Good luck!

aml78
April 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evan Cassidy sings a beautiful version of Time After Time....

aml78
April 1st, 2005, 07:35 AM
meant Eva Cassidy.

El Segundo 909
April 1st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Though I like Eva Cassidy especially FOG that MK made famous with her skating,I was hoping to watch the improved Bolero with all those jumps in person.

Of course,any performance of MK is worth watching.

From that latest article.it looks like she is going to Torino. I hope to be there to cheer her performance. This time, I won't expect anything as long as she skates with "Joy & Freedom"and let fate takes its course "Que Sera;Sera".

MichelynB
April 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM
From that latest article.it looks like she is going to Torino.
I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that article given all the mistakes that were contained within. This is the same article that had MK finishing 7th at worlds and Jenny Kirk as the US National bronze medalist.

Michelyn

handlem9z
April 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
I'm off to COI at MCI. I'm trying to get down there a little early to see if I have any luck around the buses.

If anyone from MKF sees me, please approach and say hi. Its always nice to meet MKF members (I'll be wearing my 2nd MK hat and I'll have letters MKF on neon paper board with me).

I'll try my best to report what I can about the show when I get back. The show is at 7:30 pm EST.

HoneyGalJ
April 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
This is the same article that had MK finishing 7th at worlds and Jenny Kirk as the US National bronze medalist.
The writer honestly saw the qualifying results. Allison wrote Jenny was a US National bronze medalist, not the current bronze medalist, so I don't think there's a mistake. I can't wait for COI to stop by Texas. It will be the first time I'll see her live.

MichelynB
April 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
The writer honestly saw the qualifying results.
I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, she forgot to mention that part.

Kwan attributes her seventh place finish in this year's world competition to new, tougher technical judging in which deductions are made for things that never counted before. "Everyone just got back from Russia, and I don't even know what time zone it is," she said. "Worlds was kind of disappointing. There is always something to be learned."
It sounds like Kwan finished seventh at this year's worlds, the way it is written.
Sorry to be so nitpicky but I just get sick and tired of these reporters not checking their facts and letting any old thing go to print. It's beyond frustrating!
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Michelyn

Forever Loyal
April 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM
I e-mailed them and they responded saying they would make a correction. How? I don't know.

lunti81
April 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM
I am sad because now it is clear that with MK's choice of this song, she really is nearing her departure from amateur skating.

Sorry, I don't mean to bring everyone down, but with all the news concerning the Pope and all. I'm just sad that's all.

Sorry again.

TJ25
April 1st, 2005, 06:32 PM
It was a really great show.

First Michelle did not skate to Eva Cassidy. It was Madonna's "This used to be my playground" from the "A league of their own" soundtrack, like ThaiBrit said. It was really beautiful. There were some gorgeous, reaching out kind of moves. She wore the same dress for Bolero 2 and "You Raise Me Up" at Nats. She hit two flips (I think), with footwork into the second one. She fought for her lutz but it was fine and she stayed upright and in command. I also noticed her jumps looked really strong and her entrance edges seemed shorter to me, really good. Her new program is a beauty. Nearly halfway through I almost got misty because I realized what the lyrics were saying "This used to be....," "This used to be..." I hope that this is not her swan song for next season. Very nice choreography, footwork into jumps and she did a martini spin into a change of foot into a y spin on the other leg combo. I stood up and screamed for her, not nearly enough people got out of their seats when she finished. But many people did roar when they introduced her as "Five Time World Champion, America's Own." And Girlie hit those four double axels in a row in the finale, she was awesome. She had a look of happiness to be skating but she seemed like she's pretty hungry and she's getting that fire back.

Timmy performed what I think will be his LP next year. It sounded like some kind of Cirque du Soleil kind of music and costume and it wan't particularly charismatic but he was very good. Johnny was like buttah and landed a huge 3toe that looked like it could have easlily been a quad. It was weird to see Irina Grigorian losing control of her hoola hoops and tripping. She even abruptly ended after about a minute and a half. Irina was her usual cutesy energetic self, I almost thought we were not going to see the beillman but there it was near the end. Rudy Galindo got the the house rockin with some 70s music and he was his usual self. Elvis had the kids in my area going wild with his techno music, I think it was Mortal Kombat. Dan Hollander was great too. Anissina and Peizerat were reall good too. How many dance teams do you see the woman handling most of the lifts? Sasha had her usual funky landings, lack of edge control and stepped out of a couple 3salchows but her new program and costume are cute. The closing ho down was not as hokey as I thought it would be, it was really fun and upbeat. I am very happy that I've gone again.

ThaiBrit
April 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
Short (extremely short) review:

Just got back from COI and Michelle skated to...This Used To Be My Playground by Madonna! To be honest, I don't remember much about her skating - it went by so fast. I think she did about 4 triples plus the 2a. She was very fluid, very on and, well, very Michelle.

Will try to post more later.

cloudnine
April 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM
I also just came back from the DC COI. This was actually my first live skating event I've been to so it was very exciting. The seats could have been better but I was just so happy to finally be seeing skating live and soaking everything in.

Honestly, I can't remember much of Michelle's program. She just put me in a spell and I started to get teary immediately when I heard the lyrics. So it all went by in a blur but she was wonderful. I can't wait to read all of the other reviews so I can relive the experience again. And the four double axels at the end were amazing. Michelle was definitely the star of the night and got the biggest applause. My other favorites of the night were Pang/Tong, Belbin/Agosto, and Johnny Weir.

KeithB
April 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
I am on Cloud Nine right now. As I approached the arena from the subway, I met one of my model railroad club buddies, and learned that he skated with Tom Collins in the old Holiday on Ice show many years ago. Mr. Collins had given him several backstage passes and he graciously gave me one.

I got autographs from Belbin and Agosto, Johnny Weir, Rudy Galindo, Tim Goebel, Sasha and last but not least Michelle. All of them were so nice and were generously taking time to sign autographs before getting on the bus for a 3-hour ride back to Philadelphia, where they are spending the night before a show tomorrow. Michelle looked as if she were fresh from the beauty shop, absolutely stunning. She took the time to pose with children as she worked her way along the line. I told her, "I have been watching you for 11 years. It has been a real pleasure." She thanked me and lit up the place with that gorgeous smile.

I took over 200 pictures, and I will start uploading some representative ones tomorrow. It will be a fun way to spend a rainy day.

Edited to add picture link.

mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id10.html (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id10.html)

Cole50
April 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks ThaiBrit...

Ritm2k14
April 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
SOOOO TOUCHING

This Used To Be My Playground

This used to be my playground (used to be)
This used to be my childhood dream
This used to be the place I ran to
Whenever I was in need
Of a friend
Why did it have to end
And why do they always say

Don't look back
Keep your head held high
Don't ask them why
Because life is short
And before you know
You're feeling old
And your heart is breaking
Don't hold on to the past
Well that's too much to ask

[Long and movie versions only:]

[chorus]
Live and learn
Well the years they flew
And we never knew
We were foolish then
We would never tire
And that little fire
Is still alive in me
It will never go away
Can't say goodbye to yesterday (can't say goodbye)

[chorus]

No regrets
But I wish that you
Were here with me
Well then there's hope yet
I can see your face
In our secret place
You're not just a memory
Say goodbye to yesterday (the dream)
Those are words I'll never say (I'll never say)

This used to be our pride and joy
This used to be the place we ran to
That no one in the world could dare destroy

Cole50
April 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
Ahhh, but there is hope...this little snippet of the lyrics:

And that little fire
Is still alive in me.

handlem9z
April 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
Congrats KeithB on getting to go backstage and getting to meet Michelle. I can't wait to see some of your pictures.

Heather
April 1st, 2005, 07:34 PM
New program, yea! And wearing one of my favorite dresses! Can't wait to see it tomorrow. :)

Looking forward to pics from the show.

Ritm2k14
April 1st, 2005, 07:35 PM
cheer up keraml! :)

the lyrics do feel sad but there is a feel to it that says im not done yet

take care everyone!

Debbie
April 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Just returned from D.C COI. As Thai Brit already posted, Michelle skated to "This Used to Be My Playground" by Madonna (featured in the movie "A League of Their Own" in 1992). She wore the sleeveless light blue Bolero dress she wore at the December cheesefest. I didn't take notes, but from memory, I believe she did a 2 axel, 2 3flips, and a 3lutz. The program also featured her COE spiral (of course!) and hydroblading to a backward knee slide at the end (similar to FOG and YRMU). While this number isn't quite at the level of FOG (what is?) it's a nice number and she skated it well. I suspect that given the short length of the tour and the fact that it's a pre-Oly year, MK probably didn't spend a huge amount of time putting the program together. But that's OK - it's a good program and shows off her trademark moves, and she looks happy to be skating it.

Everything else about the show was pretty much the same as last weekend's shows, based on those reports, so I won't go into a lot of detail. My favorite performances were those by MK, Johnny Weir, Sasha, and Belbin/Agosto. Rudy was his usual hilarious self, as was Dan Hollander. Irina Grigorian (hula hoop woman) fell a couple of times at the beginning of her number (it looked like one of those freak things where you slip off your edge) and apparently hurt her ankle, or something, b/c she skated off not too long afterward while the music was playing. Dan Hollander came out to retrieve her hoops and other props and Pang/Tong got sent out. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't do the next few shows. Oh, and Kimmie Meissner skated tonight as a guest, and I believe she is also doing the Philly show tomorrow. She skated to Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway" and hit all of her jumps. It was great to see her.

Cole50
April 1st, 2005, 08:12 PM
Ginny, I agree..."A League of their Own" is one of my absolute favorite movies too...

Aslan's Girl
April 1st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Ritm wrote:

"SOOOO TOUCHING

This Used To Be My Playground

This used to be my childhood dream
This used to be the place I ran to
Whenever I was in need
Of a friend
Why did it have to end
And why do they always say

Don't look back
Keep your head held high
Don't ask them why
Because life is short
And before you know
You're feeling old
And your heart is breaking
Don't hold on to the past
Well that's too much to ask

[Long and movie versions only:]

[chorus]
Live and learn
Well the years they flew
And we never knew
We were foolish then
We would never tire
And that little fire
Is still alive in me
It will never go away
Can't say goodbye to yesterday (can't say goodbye)

[chorus]

No regrets
But I wish that you
Were here with me
Well then there's hope yet
I can see your face
In our secret place
You're not just a memory
Say goodbye to yesterday (the dream)
Those are words I'll never say (I'll never say)

This used to be our pride and joy
This used to be the place we ran to
That no one in the world could dare destroy "

What does "[Long and movie versions only:] " Which part does she not skate to? The part before or after? If it's the part after then she is not skating to the part that says "that fire is still alive"? Or did I misunderstand?

Re-reading the words, it doesn't make sense. First it says "why do they say don't look back, keep your head held high" then it says "don't ask them why", what? And why does it have to say "why did it have to end" in the beginning only to say "say goodbye to yesterday (the dream) those are words I'll never say"? It seems contradictory to me. I'm sorry, it's just not sitting well with me. Is it a ballad? I'm sure the music is pretty (I've never heard it), so I'm sure I'll enjoy the skating of Michelle regardless; I just hope she sticks it out one more year for the Oly, that's all.

handlem9z
April 1st, 2005, 08:18 PM
I just got back from COI in DC as well. First off, MCI is awful to try and deal with to roam around or switch seats. I was trying to move from my section of Lower Level 110 to the area where the skaters enter and exit from. Patrice an usher was nice enough to let me go down to that area to show my MKF Letters (Yellow Neon on fluorescent pink backing). I told her about MKF and said I bet you Michelle will react.

Well, after Michelle did a lap with all the skaters during introductions(skating to Lets Get it started by black eyed peas). She exited and was getting bottled water. As she turned around, she looked up and saw the sign and started waving and you could hear a Hi. I yelled Hi Michelle. It was hard to see any facial reactions or anything because it was dark. She then left the area with all the other skaters.

I tried to stay in that area, but Guest Services at MCI wouldn't let us change seats when I made the request. Grrrrrr...

The show was pretty good. I don't know who the two guys that skate together and do all those tricks are but they're great.

This was my favorite MK moment of the night. After they do their little Cowboy themed group dance. Which Michelle does a lot of jumps one after another. They lined up to bow holding hands. When Michelle was facing us, we had up the MKF Letters and she actually broke her right hand free from the skater next to her and looked right at us with a smile and gave us one of those little mini waves signaling us out. I really got a kick out of that.

I'm just curious, did any of you see me with the MKF Letters? I held them up above the Budlight sign at the beginning for about two minutes until Michelle left and then a whenever she was on the ice we would hold them up for her to see.

I have to mention the outfit that she had on at the end. the orange top and I guess it was like a dark purple sequin bottom with a slit....I'm still breathing in a paper bag. She is soooooooooooooooooo HOT :D

Oh yeah, I circled MCI Center Twice before the show and it looks like their buses enter through a door that closes and you have no access.

Katty52
April 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks Keith, I cannot wait to see all your pictures. Also, thanks to all the other MKFers who are giving reviews. I just love Madonna and I think this song is a ray of hope as this use to be my playground so look out I am coming back to reclaim it. My way of looking at it.

justsk8
April 1st, 2005, 08:25 PM
John317, glad you got the yousendit to work!

The way I take the song is that something has ended, and the person knows that she needs to look forward, like is short, move on, etc. but at the same time, all these things that have happened will always be with her regardless.

Also, I don't think that this song means Michelle is done with eligible already. I really do believe she's planning on competing at least next season. I do, however, get a nostalgic feeling listening to this song...it's so hard to know that Michelle's eligible career will have to end at some point, even if it is not quite yet.

ETA that I uploaded to song with YouSendIt. If anyone's interested it's in the downloads section. It's the version with all the verses. :)

~Kim

Kathy Sullivan
April 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Add me to the list of those who felt sadness when I read the lyrics. I really don't know what I wish for Michelle anymore. For purely selfish reasons I hope she stays eligible next year, in fact part of me wishes she'd never stop. Another part for me doesn't wish the stress of another olympic year on her, but this song makes me feel deeply how much I will miss her whenever she decides to retire.

MKsmiral
April 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reports. She's certainly doing a lot more jumps during the show than in previous years.

Re. her new music - it's one of my favorite Madonna songs, and the lyrics are very moving. (If I recall correctly, Madonna wrote this song shortly after she broke up with Sean Penn).

It is nostalgic - I think it's about keeping your dreams and memories alive no matter what others may say.

And I love this part:

"And that little fire
Is still alive in me
It will never go away
Can't say goodbye to yesterday (can't say goodbye)"

I definitely saw a fire in her eyes during the Boston show, and her smile just lit up the building (I'm not exaggerating - she looked so happy). The memory just kept me smiling for days afterwards.

Aslan's Girl
April 1st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Cole, if it weren't for those few words, I'd be feeling pretty depressed right now. First, I was hoping she'd keep Bolero since it sounds like it was cool as an exhibition and I'd love to see the pattern on the ice of one of her LPs since TV cameras always switch angles (I've never seen her do an LP before). Then as I was reading the words, my heart started to sink... then those words about the fire still being alive and her not saying goodbye yet made me all relieved! Whew! I hope next year when she wins the Olympics she does a different number though, something fitting of a celebration!

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Bridget :)

PS Splits, thanks for the info about YouSendIt! It's a lot easier than I thought :)

vive_la_reine
April 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Madonna has always been a favorite of mine and "This Used To Be My Playground" is very high on my list of favorite Madonna tunes. Plus, I loved "A League of Their Own" ..." There's no crying in baseball.... :(

I can hardly wait to see Michelle skate to this program.

Thanks to you all for sharing your reviews.

Grace
April 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! She's skating to one of my most favorite songs in the whole wide world! (omg, I sound like a kid right now...)

That song holds a lot of meaning for myself too, and how odd, I was mentioning it to one of my friends not too long ago.

I am thrilled. Though oddly enough for this Bolero unfan, I was looking forward to seeing it as an exhibition. Can't wait to see this live!

Heather
April 1st, 2005, 11:00 PM
Haha Grace.

Wow, you ARE really giddy if now you say you were looking forward to seeing Bolero. :p

Shiprock
April 1st, 2005, 11:00 PM
I was kind of looking forward to Bolero in COI exhibition, too. A Madonna sounds cool, too. Will have to look into a Denver tickets soon. Thanks for all your reports. Looking forward to April 16th Marshall Bolero.:JP

lk36297
April 2nd, 2005, 12:53 AM
Wow, I just watched A League of their Own in the last few months, and I think I remember bawling :( And I do love that song! :)

FKA Catchick
April 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
A few highlights -

Michelle's program was poignant and full of jumps but there wasn't a whole lot else going on but I got the feeling she's still thinking her way through her program. I still enjoyed it and she stands out with her ease of movement and total body skating. Crowd favorite.

Sasha - better ice coverage than the last time I saw her. I like her program its fun & spunky. She really seemed to be having fun and you could feel that all the way up to the top of the rink. Easily the crowd second favorite - Sasha has a lot of fans in DC.

Kimmie M - Much better ice coverage and speed that comes across on tv but her spins will really hold her back if she doesn't improve on them.

Irina S. - speed, speed. Fun program but forgettable.

Johnny - grabbed me by the throat with this program - he made my friend tear up and she was absolutely enthralled.

Tim - I liked the music he should use it for a long program next year he seemed to really feel the music.

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold. Maurice Setter.

Deetlebug
April 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM
Could it be that with her choice of this song she is celebrating all that her skating was under the 6.0 system and at the same time making her statement about her drive moving her forward into full blown competition under the COP system?

Seems very appropriate to me. And rather uplifting too. ;)

deetles

MichelynB
April 2nd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Could it be that with her choice of this song she is celebrating all that her skating was under the 6.0 system and at the same time making her statement about her drive moving her forward into full blown competition under the COP system?
You put into words exactly what I have been thinking this morning. Kind of her salute and farewell to the old 6.0 system (definitely her playground) but she's looking forward to the future:
"And that little fire
Is still alive in me
It will never go away"
At least that's the way I prefer to interpret it. ;)

beegirllw
April 2nd, 2005, 03:12 AM
I have always taken that song, to mean that: A childhood/young part of life is being left behind. Dont look back, look forward the whole world is open, and waiting for you to conquer it.

What a beautiful way to "possibly" wind up an outstanding career.

Thank you Michelle, how many millions of memories do we all have that you have contrubuted to for us. We have made friends, enemies, lovers, Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers...you have brought us together in such a special way.

Figure skating will not be the same when you are no longer in it.

graciesfriend
April 2nd, 2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the reviews! And KeithB, congrats on getting a backstage pass, meeting the skaters and getting autographs!

As for Michelle's music choice, Freud once said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Sometimes a song is just a song.

Skate Sandee
April 2nd, 2005, 04:09 AM
OMG Gracie - I was JUST coming to post that. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

If every lyric to a song was specifically linked to a meaning for the skater...well then my question is just what the hell is Sasha doing chasing Mr. Arnstein? :b

I think skaters do choose music that speaks to them in a general way. Maybe one or two lines struck Michelle...but I don't think every word has some absolute personal meaning.

epoibim
April 2nd, 2005, 04:43 AM
In answer to your question, I think it's quite clear:
"...if someone takes a spill it's me and not you..."

:b

ETA: It sounds as if she's skating to one of her favorites and that's great! It definitely has a nostalgic feel, and if I hadn't seen her, I'd feel "nervous" about what it could mean. But I really really, really don't think she's done yet. She's just too happy! After all these years, she's finally getting the chance to do things her way...there's no telling what her future holds.:)

I'd love to have the opportunity to see this new exhib. some day. I saw Bolero in Boston and it was SUCH a treat. Someone said that she just looked radiantly happy and I couldn't agree more. She made me smile.:) At one point, various people were clapping at kind of random moments during the program and yelling "Yay Michelle!" or "GO Michelle!" and she just beamed. Plus, that Bolero ROCKED! I'm still psyched she ended with the knee slide!:D

Happy COI weekend, everyone!

fdevine
April 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
A League of their Own is one of my favorite movies. This just make it my favorite. Grandkids here this weekend, so I probably will have to wait until Sunday to watch it.:YS

grannie frances

Grace
April 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
I also agree, I think a song is just a song. Perhaps it's just one of those songs she likes and wants to skate to. I mean, I'm sure if we could skate like she does (or even if we can't :P) we ourselves have a lot of songs we would love to skate to that probably have no meaning with it - we simply just like it : )

Althouuuugh. When it comes to Freud, lol, I don't think a cigar was just a cigar even though that might have been the quote :P

Heather - lol, I wasn't giddy. But after hearing about how she skated Bolero during her exhibition, I was curious. And I thought it would be good also for her to continually skate that many triples - just to keep it up.

Awesome
April 2nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Hi, anyone here going to the COI in Atlanta on April 17th?

lavender
April 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
Oh wow I love that song but it's soo sad. I don't know what to think but I'm going to try to not read too much into it

Forever Loyal
April 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Can someone download the song Michelle is using as an exhibition. I don't remember it. Thanks!

Katty52
April 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm with you Lavender, I am also not going to read to much into this choice of music except that it is a beautiful piece of music and Michelle loves to skate to moving music and I believe this is a very moving piece of music. This will bring the artistic side of Michelle out again after having to focus so much on the tech side that CoP demands. Glad to hear that she is doing more jumps this COI then in years past.

Does anyone know where we could e-mail COI to see if they are going to make a video or DVD of this seasons COI since it is such a short tour and I can't spend the $500.00 this year to drive for hours and hours plus all the other expenses that goes with this mini vacation. I would love to see this show. I felt really fortunate to have COI in Amarillo last year it was only 45 miles, the year before was 8 hours one way.

Forever Loyal
April 2nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
I just listened to the song and I am in tears. I hope I am not reading into this but it does have me concerned. I know that her eligible career is going to end someday soon but hearing those words made it too much of a reality.

KeithB
April 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id10.html (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id10.html)

Click on the link and scroll to your heart's content.

wingheartsong
April 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
With Michelle I believe the songs she chooses,especially for exhibition,are an expression of something that is meaningful to her at that time in her life.JMHO. Deetlebug, I was thinking the exact thing that you expressed! With the arrival of COP, we all have acknowledged the end of an era in figure skating.If we feel the loss, then how much more the skaters and Michelle. 6.0 was indeed her playground and now she is having to say goodbye and approach her craft in an entirely new and different way that is not "lyrical" as MK herself said. A challenge that she will no doubt face. I can't wait to see her in COI!

MKsmiral
April 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Mike - thanks for posting the pictures - just beautiful.:)

Forever Loyal
April 2nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Keith,
Thanks for the pictures! They are great. She looks happy and in GREAT PHYSICAL SHAPE I can't even look like that in my dreams!:rollin

yankgrl46
April 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Ok, the day of Mike's worlds party (Myself, Schez,Goo,Kim,Erin,Aggie,Liz,and Bagelbarb ) were in a drugstore picking up snacks for Ice Princess when "This use to be my Playground" came on. I yelled out, "Oh, I love this song, because it's one of my favorite movies." I believe a couple of us (in the shampoo aisle) commented that it would be a great MK song. I have always thought it was a perfect number for Michelle.

I remember right before Kim Zmeskal retired from gymnastics she did a routine to the song as well. Not that I am implying that Michelle is going anywhere! Cause she is not!

Very excited to see this tomorrow! :)

epoibim
April 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
:lol :eek I remember now!!! The shampoo aisle! I just used my fancy dancy shampoo this morning too, lol- not that that matters...just wanted to give you a shout-out Barb!:D

I still think it's easy to read into, but I think she probably just likes the song. Now, if she gets out and skates to "So Long, Farwell..." from The Sound of Music, then we have something to talk about.:lol

XrystalPond
April 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi, anyone here going to the COI in Atlanta on April 17th?

I will be there and in Macon on the 15th.

youngatheart
April 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Well, I was kinda hoping she would keep Bolero and skate it as an exhibition like she did before Marshalls so I could see her perform to it when I attend COI or skate to something by Eva Cassidy as was cited in another thread. I absolutely love Eva! I'm not a fan of Madonna's and I'm not familiar with this song because I've never seen "A League of Their Own." However, I read the lyrics that someone was kind enough to post and find them very beautiful and poignant. Sooooo, looks like I'll be going to the video store sometime this weekend to rent the movie so that I can hear the melody of this song. :D :LP

Wingheartsong, I so agree with you that Michelle chooses songs, esp. for her exhibitions, that are very meaningful to her.

Keith - those pictures are wonderful - thank you for sharing!

"Budrfliyes are qyoot," Haley, age 6

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly." G.K. Chesterton. :angel

isk8fan
April 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the reviews and KiethB, your photos are incredible. Thank you SO much.!

mommy2
April 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Oh my goodness Keith--what beautiful pictures!!!!! Thank you for sharing them with those of us who live out in the middle of nowhere and will not get to see COI this year (or really any year :p )

Michelle certainly is stunning--I am amazed at her overall toned muscles--yowza!!!! She is definitely in tip top shape--me thinks it's just part of her overall game plan!

OT: How much would doing more than one double axel fair in COP. Just wondering--do you think she's doing 4 in a row for a reason?

scheherazade
April 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Keith -- GORGEOUS pictures! Thanks so much for sharing.

yankgrl -- I know, that's the first thing that popped in my head when I read about it last night! I'm pretty happy with whatever Michelle skates to, but this is one of my favorite songs, so I am very, very excited :)

handlem9z
April 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks Keith for the pictures. I PM you about one of the pictures (200) because you were so close to catching the little wave she gave us when we were holding up our MKF sign.

TwinnerA
April 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Great photos! Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us!

rubyred
April 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Keith--Thank you for the wonderful pictures!!! Wow, Michelle is gorgeous. She has the perfect body line and proportion to make that two-piece costume totally shine (and I think she has a great taste in picking the very right costume) AND of course--what a smile!

In pictures, people tend to look a little more plump than their actual figure--my goodness, Michelle must be so slim and toned in person!

mindy74
April 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM
I just got back from the Philly show. Michelle was wonderful...the program made me teary (and my mom!). Beautiful spiral and solid jumps. Johnny was another highlight. My mom said "mesmerizing." He just floats across the ice. Sasha's program was cute, very fun. Timothy did a dramatic routine that looked like it could possibly turn into a long program.

Belbin and Agosto were great, I loved A&P's Star Wars routine, Pang and Tong were exciting--such high throws.

The only part I didn't care for was the ending with the cowboy stuff. I didn't like the music and found it just a little too much. But overall a good show--I only got the tickets last night because I've been sick and wasn't sure I was going to go, but I'm glad I did!

feelingbegins03
April 2nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Amazing Pics Keith! :SAL

Aslan's Girl
April 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
So can anyone tell me if Michelle actually skates to the part that mentions the fire still being alive? Ritm's post seems to say that that part is not part of MK's program. I hope it is since it will give me some hope :)

Also, thanks to those who think that it could be MK's adieu to 6.0, that would comfort me greatly as well :)

As wingheartsong pointed out, MK's exhibitions often hold meaning for her, not always, but I for one am hoping that this particular one doesn't mean anything like retirement just yet! I also hope that if she retires after the Oly she chooses something more upbeat than this, esp. if she wins! I want something celebratory :D

Bridget :)

cestlavie000000
April 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Just came back from Philly COI. Michelle was great. Her new "Used to be my Playground" had 2 triple flips and 3 lutz and 2 axel. Skated well. She was outstanding. This is the second time I have seen her live and it was inspiring. I always liked that song and the movie.

Has there been a discussion on why she is "uping the ante" in her exhibition program with 2 triple flips? The 2nd flip was out of her footwork sequence--something must be going on like getting used to doing it for future competitions?

Does anyone know the name of the song that Tim skated to? I love the music.

Kwaniacal
April 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hi everyone. I just returned from Philly COI also. My friend and I had front row seats near the skaters' tunnel. I think I'm totally spoiled for ordinary seats now! As others have said, Michelle was wonderful. She brings tears to my eyes every time. I also especially enjoyed Pang and Tong, Timothy and Johnny. I was struck by the quiet softness of Tim and Johnny's jump landings - so smooth and almost silent. I was surprised to see Kimmie Meisner - an unexpected treat. She was very good and more mature than I expected in her presentation. By the way, I have been lurking here since the beginning. I visit the forum every day (sometimes multiple times) and my family is always asking "Did you post yet?" Now I can finally say yes. I have very much enjoyed all your insightful posts over the years. Thanks!

beegirllw
April 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Keith I love the pic that has the partial no smoking words in it.

Its right above MK's head and just says SMOKING, which IMHO is the perfect caption.

lavender
April 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
I hear there were tears but what about the standing Ovations. Did Michelle receive any or was everyone stuck in a trance after her skate? That Madonna song and Michelle=trance for me too.

handlem9z
April 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
I can't wait to hear from Heather and her Philly COI experience. I hope she is lucky enough to have another MK encounter that she is willing to share with us :D

mindy74
April 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I hear there were tears but what about the standing Ovations. Did Michelle receive any or was everyone stuck in a trance after her skate? That Madonna song and Michelle=trance for me too.

lavender--there were a few scattered people standing for Michelle that I could see (my mom and I included). After she was done, there was this quiet--like you could hear a pin drop--maybe everyone was in a trance-- then everyone applauded like crazy. Maybe others with a different view can say if they saw more people standing.

Kwaniacal
April 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
When Michelle finished skating a few people stood up (including me) and when she took her bows I saw many more people stand. I didn't notice any other skaters get a standing O but I could have missed it. Everyone skated so well. I think I only saw one fall (Amber) and very very few mistakes of any kind. There were some reports from the D.C. show that the hula hoop girl seemed injured and she did not perform in Philly.

goldblossom88
April 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Oh it was a great show, too bad it flew by way too fast!
All I can say is that Michelle looked so happy and content skating her program that it just drew you in to her performance! And plenty of people were standing up and cheering and she did get the loudest ovation when she was introduced. And I loved the 4 double axles! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!
Hi Kwaniacal welcome! The first time I came out of lurking was after COI back in 2000. After seeing her perform, it just inspires you to post!;)
Keith great pictures! l loved the ones backstage!

kwanette
April 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
I went to the Philly show today and it was terrific.Everyone skated well....My favs, besides the Kween, Johnny, Tim, Rudy, the acrobats...did I just say that?..A and P, and B and A.

Jenny skated well, looked beautiful...Irina looked to be in great form, also. I enjoyed Sasha's number, too....

Michelle was amazing. She has such a presence on the ice..Her jumps were great...and I loved the 4 2 AXS in the finale...

We had great seats in the first row...and during the final skate around I held up my "KWAN" banner. The next thing I knew I had MK's "cowboy" or "cowgirl" hat...I was pretty much in shock. It was a great day...especially shared with my friend Karen, nymkfan51, and AYS. It was wonderful seeing graciesfriend, Gold Blossom, and Valentine BD...

RAReinecke
April 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
I just started going through my photos from the Philly show. I have the opening number posted and think I have at least one good shot of everyone at some point in the show. You can see them on my site at: www.musicbyrachel.com I will post here as I get more photos up. Interestingly, while I benefitted by buying my seats from someone who couldn't attend when they changed the time from 3 p.m. to 1 p.m. the 2 women who came in after intermission were very disappointed to have not been notified of the time change---especially since they missed half the show! I felt so bad for them.

Enjoy the photos! www.musicbyrachel.com and follow the links to photography.

Rachel

chipso1
April 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks to everyone sharing pictures, reviews, and stories! It makes the off season so much more fun!

LOL Kwanette about the hat! That rachs!:)

hfce
April 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Keith those are great pictures. Thank you. :)

mommy2
April 2nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Kwanette--do you think she knew it was you? :D You are one of the famous members of the MKF. And you have talked to the KWEEN on the phone before.

Thanks for your review! Loved hearing about your KWEEN moment. I thinking she knew it was you! :b

nymkfan51
April 2nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
I was so happy I got to be there and share that wonderful moment with you kwanette! :)
Michelle saw you and came directly over to give you her hat!!! And what a remarkable smile she gave you as well!

I really enjoyed the show. Michelle did two 3/lutzes and one 3/flip (from footwork) ... plus a 2A. Then those 4 unbelievable axels in the finale, WOW!

I was very happy to see A&P again ... they will get better and better as the tour goes on.
I loved Timmy as well ... his program seems like it might work real well as a competitive one ... so maybe we'll see it next year?
Johnny, Sasha, Irina, the acrobats (go figure!), Rudy, Tanith and Ben, Pang and Tong ... some really great performances!

Good to see everyone there ... I'll be at the LI show as well. See you there!!!

AZSkateFan
April 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
For those of you who have been writing about the absence of Evan Lysacek, he is not scheduled to join the tour until the Chicago stop on April 10th. He is planning on skating every stop until the end of the tour.

According to Dan Hollander, Pang&Tong had issues with their visa. And Plushy is still injured, which explains his absence.

I am glad that everyone is having such a wonderful time watching the Champions on Ice tour. Hopefully, there will be a surprise second tour that includes Arizona.

yankgrl46
April 2nd, 2005, 06:27 PM
how exciting for you. Of course Michelle knew it was Kwanette, afterall Kwanette has become an ABC celebrity with her traveling Michelle sign. It has made guest appearances at both nationals and cheesefests around the world.

My question is, Kwanette, are you accepting applications yet as to who will bring that sign to Torino next year?

Can't wait to see the show tomorrow :)

KeithB
April 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Beautiful photos, Rachel. Keep up the good work.

scheherazade
April 2nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Awww, kwanette, that's so fabulous!! She really does appreciate her fans -- I love hearing these stories :)

Like yankgrl, can't wait until tomorrow!

graciesfriend
April 2nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
kwanette, you are the kutest in Michelle's cowgirl hat! I'm sure you'll be sleeping in it tonight!

It was a great show as everyone has reported! Michelle got a great ovation at the end of her number and seemed genuinely touched by it.

I loved the closing number although there is so much going on you don't know where to look (besides at Michelle)!

forevermkfan
April 2nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
that's so incredible kwanette!!

COI's half an hour from me tomorrow - i want to go so bad.... but the seats i would want are $95 a pop so yeah... and 2 cuz one of my parents would have to go. i'll be there in spirit.

lol i just want to see her so those 4 axels. video anyone?

ICEDIVA
April 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
For those of you with AOL, you can listen to the full version of the song at AOL music. You just have to search for it. According to AOL, it's also on Madonna's Something to Remember CD.

lavender
April 2nd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys! That song that Michelle's skating to puts me in a trance. So I know people were probably in a 'wow' moment after Michelle finish skating.

If only Michelle knew the power she'd have over the judges if she skated to moving music like playground.

lk36297
April 2nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
LOL, I predict a resurge in sales for A League of their Own because people want to hear the song MK is skating to:b

Highly recommended movie as others have attested:)

feelingbegins03
April 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
That's awesome that you got Michelle's hat Kwanette! :EOE

Kwanfan25
April 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM
I would give anything to go to the champions on ice in pensacola,FL. But it's too far away.:( Me and my sister usually go to almost every champions on ice event but we had to make do with the marshalls skating competition in tampa.It was great seeing her skate. I just wish i could atleast get a tour book or t-shirt but the champions on ice website is acting up.>: If possible could someone send me pics of michelles number at Randa180@aol.com. I would very much appreiciate it. :TOS :JP :LB

Heather
April 3rd, 2005, 01:45 AM
My report was too long. ;) So I posted it on my site:
heatherw.com/mk/reports/coi/coi05.htm (http://heatherw.com/mk/reports/coi/coi05.htm)

You can jump to the MK backstage portion if you don't want to read the rest of my blabbering. :p
heatherw.com/mk/reports/c...m#michelle (http://heatherw.com/mk/reports/coi/coi05.htm#michelle)

I'll post my pics later this week, along with my Marshalls ones.

Thanks for all the pictures and reports so far!

Rachel-your camera likes Philly COI better than mine do. ;)

Keith-You're pictures are great! She was wearing the same thing backstage in Philly. :)

kwanette-How cool! :)

fdevine
April 3rd, 2005, 04:50 AM
I just read your report. It's so exciting. You are blessed. Michelle is such a wonderful star and obviously she really does appreciate you and all her fans at MKF.
Did you ever think when you started your website and then the forum, it would get this big and that Michelle herself would be aware of it and even know you and a few of the other fans here? (I know that sentence was too long, lol.)
And the personal comment about your hair must have been special.
Can't wait for the photos.
Once again, Heather, thank you so much.

grannie frances

AYS
April 3rd, 2005, 05:01 AM
I agree with everyone, it was a great show, with everyone skating really well.

Aside from the skating, it was a highlight for me when MK came over with the hat for kwanette at the end. She took one look at the sign and made a beeline over and plopped it on her head. :hat

I was thrilled for you kwanette :)

kwanette
April 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
AYS, you were my very first MK "friend"...Had it not been for you, I wouldn't have gone to the Tribute Show in 01...and met the NYers, taf, Ginny and others...Sharing a skating experience with someone like you who knows so much about the sport and loves it..is so much fun...Seeing FOG with you at COI in 02...was equally wonderful..OK, AYS is blushing...but she is quite terrific..She is also the one who told me about a skater named Johnny Weir..long before he made a splash...

I forgot to mention how wonderful Pang and Tong were...He is mesmerizing...and is fast becoming my favorite male pairs skater...

I never can remember anything in detail about a Kwan performance..Thankfully, nymkfan51 could tell me what jumps she did...She can fill an arena with her presence more than any skater I have ever seen...with props to Scott Hamilton...for his quote and his presence...Just knowing that she is in the same building as I am...is a thrill...If that makes me a nut, so be it...Get me a strait jacket in "Lyra" blue, please...

Valerie
April 3rd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Michelle is so cool, lol, and Heather deer, so are you! Thank you for the report. :)

epoibim
April 3rd, 2005, 07:24 AM
What a GREAT report!!! And YAY for Miss Michelle The Choreographer!:D That's very, very cool.
Darn, now I REALLY have to see this program!:lol

Now as for you, Heather (whom I assume will wear her hair "straight and long" until told otherwise...:b ) you bet your Bolero you're coming to Saint Louis. Don't make me start singing...

Thanks for a wonderful, wonderful report. I think it's people like you who really make the skaters' night. You made mine, too.:)

All right, I'd better start walking to Long Island now:lol

lemonade16
April 3rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
What a wonderful way to spend my Sunday morning, reading all of these amazing COI reports. Congratulations to AYS, kwanette, Heather and everyone else on your very special, very Kwan encounters! Michelle has this way of making everyone feel special.

She choreographed her program! Yes! That alone sets that program apart for me ... and I haven't even seen it yet! I always loved Winter for that reason and so many other reasons.

Speaking of Michelle's Secret Garden program, a weird coincidence happened yesterday. I was just about to clean up the living room in the early afternoon, so I decided to "channel chase" to find something on TV to keep me company. On one of the HBO or another movie channel, I saw that the movie "A League of their Own" was just ending. I stopped and stood there staring at the TV as Madonna's song started. I couldn't believe it. I had just read about Michelle's new COI program here at MKF and just about 1/2 hour later I hear this song. I have to admit, I definitely got teary eyed, the lyrics are very powerful.

Thanks again to everyone for your reports! :SP

lemonade16
Edited to remove the sad face icon.

MKsmiral
April 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
I love reading these reports. It's gonna be a looooong summer after tour is over!

So Michelle choreographed her new exhibition - that's so cool. It's been reading some really nice reviews even at the other Boards I've read. (I did get choked-up at her comment about Worlds, though).

Grace
April 3rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
thanks for the wonderful report Heather and thanks for a "Target conversation" :P Now you can never tell me "I don't know..." when I say "Michelle knows who you are!" And I'm so proud of you that you finally could say something more than "You're so great!" :P

and lol, I say St. Louis : ) -- although she probably would need more help in the foreign countries next year *coughs* Erin *coughs* :D Thank goodness there are MKFers going to Italy. Poor Michelle without MKF out in Moscow.

So maybe one of us should win a lottery : )

kwanette
April 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Heather, for all of the MK tidbits...I just finished reading your review..Sorry I missed you in Philly..maybe in Kwanlantic City?

Forever Loyal
April 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for your Kwanderful reports. I am so excitied for MKF members who had their Kwantastic experiences. Kwanette you are so fortunate. Heather thanks for telling Michelle we are here and love her. Thanks for letting us know how she feels about the members of this forum. I felt bad that she missed members in Moscow. Now I wish there was a way I could have been there to support her. I can't wait to see TUTBMP (those are alot of letters), especially since she did the choreography. Please keep the reports and pictures coming.

Thanks everyone and thanks Michelle! I love this forum and the people involved. You guys RACH!!!!:angel

Fumbilicious
April 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks you guys soooo much for posting your reports and photos. Their all awesome! :)

Cole50
April 3rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
I say we all start buying lotto tickets here. And if someone wins, then that person can share with the rest here at the forum. Heck, with a million dollars that could get a few of us to wherever Michelle competes next...

RAReinecke
April 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
I have finished posting the rest of my photos from the Philly show. They are in the following groups: opening, comedy acts, men, ladies, michelle kwan, pairs/dance, and closing. Enjoy!
As always any feedback--especially on how to improve them--is appreciated.
Rachel
www.musicbyrachel.com

BVsmurfette
April 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Just got back from COI in NJ... I'll post more later, but just wanted to jump online quickly to say that Michelle was just breathtaking - that new music is haunting (in a good way)! And guess what, she wore.... her GOLD bolero dress!! :)

GMAN
April 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Ah, Heather I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!! I loved reading your review. Congrats kwanette on receiving Michelle's hat!! Wow wow wow! How cool! What an amazing weekend it was for a lot of you:)

I'm so impressed Michelle choreographed TUTBMP!! That's just wonderful!!

gatzbee
April 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
o wow. that song is so poignant. im not a huge madonna fan but i do enjoy some of her songs, and this is one of em. omygoodness i think i would've gotten teary-eyed if i saw her skate to this.... and she choreo.'d this too???

wheelmaker
April 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
I was just at COI in NJ this afternoon. The acrobats were great! I think they must be getting jerseys from every town they're in, because they were wearing Nets and Knicks today. The speed skating spoof was funny.
It was hard to really see Michelle's program from where I was, so I didn't get much impression of it. When you're sitting up near the rafters with people around who are talking like they're in their living room, then it makes it hard to enjoy the show. MK did some good jumps, though I couldn't tell you what they were! I need Dick Button to tell me.
Kimmie Meissner and Orscher & Lucash were there, and the dance team Grushina & Goncharov (sp???) were also there, and they weren't in the printed program.
Irina Grigorian must still be injured; she wasn't at this show either.
Overall, it was fun, and the special events bus that runs from the Port Authority to the Meadowlands is soooo much better than taking the LIRR to Nassau Coliseum.

Nathan
April 3rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
I don't know if these were posted before but here are some great pictures from the whole show, with special section for Michelle. These are great pictures, great endorsement for Michelle to model for a company that sets Cowboy hats!

www.musicbyrachel.com/

She's back in her Marshalls, flower dress.

Cole50
April 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Nate, if you actually read a lot of the posts here, you will see that Rachel has posted at least two times telling about her pictures.

Krista
April 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Heather that is awesome! :D . So glad you had a great time :) Thanks for a great review. And its so cool she said hi to everyone. You can tell she really appreciates you and your webpage/forum :)

Also I just wanted to say how it RACHED that she choreographed her program :D

goldblossom88
April 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
I really enjoyed reading your report Heather, especially about the conversations backstage! Too bad we couldn't stay by the buses, it was pouring too much.
I was very fortunate to attend todays show in NJ, and the highlight for me was to able to see Michelles happy and smiling face again as she skated.
Her new program is so smooth and effortless, no wonder, she choreographed it! Yesterday she skated her spiral towards my section and today, she skated it away from my section. Basically I was sitting on the same side of both arenas.
The finale was really colorful and fun for all the skaters and Michelle looked so cute in her cowboy hat!
Well, after looking forward to this weekend for a while, my "Kween weekend" may be over, but when I look back on it will always bring a smile!:angel

SGuntur
April 3rd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Heather and kwanette,
Thrilled to read about your encounters with Michelle. If I feel this way, I can only imagine how you are feeling :-)
I especially loved how she asked Heather if she would see that pic on her website.

pookybear19
April 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
I was also at the NJ show and it was great! I tried really hard to take less photos this time and to just enjoy the show... but once Michelle took the ice.. boy oh boy, I was snapping away! She was absolutely amazing!

During the opening number, Michelle looked so radiant and had so much energy! She was being really playful to the crowd... she wore a two piece orange costume and I think she may have doubled her jump, not sure though (again, busy snapping away! :lol ).

When Michelle skated her performance, she wore her gold bolero costume!! She was introduced: "She is the 5 time World Champion, 9 time United States Champion, America's Own Michelle Kwan". She looked so relaxed and had such a wide smile throughout the program. I'm not sure what jumps she did ( I was so busy trying to take pictures of her...its hard to keep the viewfinder on her! She skates fast!) but she was clean. Her performance was really touching and the crowd loved it! Huge applause at the end. :)

I LOVED this year's finale!! It was sooo cute and creative! Michelle's 4 double axels were goregous... there was a huge roar from the crowd after each one! At the end, as the skaters tossed their cowboy hats into the crowd, Michelle gave her's to a fan holding a sign... I found out later that that fan is part of the forum! I'm not going to spoil who got that hat since I'm pretty sure that person would like to talk about it in their own post. To the lucky MKFer... I'm so HAPPY for you!!!!!! :D :D :D

After the show, I met up with other MKFers and we all agreed that some of the skaters looked tired. Surya made some mistakes in her program, Sasha and Jenny each fell on a jump and there were other skaters who either doubled or popped some of their jumps.

In no particular order, here's what I thought of each skater's performance (well those that I can remember..)

Rudy's program really got the crowd cheering... he was totally energized!

Johnny's performance was so light and airy... his jumps were pretty good!

Dan's performance to Richard Simmons was HILAROUS :rollin ,
I loved the part where Richard's voice says "Single, single, double, single, double, single" and Dan follows by doing toe loops.

The acrobats were soooo creative.. they started as speed skaters, then as swimmers and finally as basketball players.... threw basketballs around and really interacted with the audience

Irina's program was very good (during the middle of her performance, I realized I was singing along to the song hahaha) Her jumps were strong and she was absolutely fun to watch

Elvis (he's such a hottie!) did a strong program with lots of speed and power

Kimmie did a nice program to Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway".. I think she looks taller in person than on TV!

Overall though I think this COI was pretty good! I wish Shen & Zhao and Plushenko was on the tour... I miss watching them skate.

Sitting center ice was fabulous and although I was sitting in row13, I still had an great view. I would like to thank the MKFer who was so nice to give me a MK bookmark and a beautiful "Spartacus" photo (I'm so sorry but I didn't catch your name! :o ) It was great seeing Karen, Julia, Pauline, Mary (Graciesfriend), KatiaLiz and all the other wonderful MKF members!!

I can't wait to see COI next year... since it's going to be the Olympic tour I think I might be willing to shell out a bit more money for closer seats. Ahhh what a wonderful afternoon! i can't wait to develop my pictures tomorrow... 3 rolls!! :D

*edited to add: Heather - your report was fantastic!! Hahah the MKFers and I agree that we should all take up a collection and send you to Turino to cheer MK on!! Michelle is such a lovely person and I'm so glad you had such a great experience backstage with her! Hahah I can't wait to see your photos!

IzzyS
April 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Heather, that report was fabulous! Michelle has always been gracious to her fans when I've seen her. She is the best!

Francis
April 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Thank you, Heather for that wonderful report! I loved it! I can only imagine how excited you were. :D

Please make it to Nats next year! I think Michelle is expecting you to be there. :b And ofcourse I will be bugging you about Italy soon! :evil ;)

graciesfriend
April 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Pooky, it was great to see you and Liv today; it's been way toooo long!

The Spartacus cards came from the very lovely debbwn who we don't see enough of either!

It was a great show at the kwantinental arena!:rollin

tp63
April 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Michelle was so great in today's COI in NJ. I couldn't stop screaming. I was really upset we couldn't get backstage, but my mom and I really really tried. Next time, we need to know someone who works on the show. It was great to see the other MKFers for the first time. This was my first COI and I will definitely come back next year if Michelle comes back. I have a really funny story: While my mom and I were trying to get backstage passes, there was this woman in front of us who had passes and wanted to go backstage, but not wait on the line. So she was talking to this guard and he told her to wait on line. Then someone goes up to them and screams "That is JoJo Starbuck!" So then the guard told her a way to get backstage without waiting on the line. Apparently, JoJo was a famous pairs skater. When my mom saw this she all of a sudden became extremely starstruck, however I had no idea who JoJo was. I wanted my mom to take a picture with her, but my mom was so scared to ask her so we didn't do it. The funny thing was before we found out who she was, I was going to ask her if she had extra passes.

mzheng
April 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Just got back from NJ show. The show was great. However almost every one made some little mistakes. I diddn't take notes. lol, never did. Just spend the whole time enjoy the show and absorb it. Some impressions:

Michelle: She got the loudest cheering wherever she skated to around the board when she was first introduced. She doubled her flip at the introduction session. Solo number she did two 3Flips (or was it one?), doubled Lutz, and a 2axel, the COE gorges, and the hydrob is so smooth. Her skating (where blades meet the ice) like butter. She wear my favorate costumn the Golden one. Though I'd like to see the long sleeve dark purple one, since I was told in person the color is really beautyful. In finale she also doubled flip. But the final 4 double axels were gorges. The audience and the casting members, they standed in the middle of the circle, cheering each of her 2Axel when she did them around the circle of them. I thought this was a perfect fit the theme she skated to? Used to be her play ground, when she was young jump bean she might just jump her double axel around the rink like this? I almost tear eyed when she skated to the song. It was so beautyful, to think about a inacent young girl grown up to a beautyful young woman at front of our eyes, experienced so much.....One of my friend and me gave her a stand O after her solo. And I saw several ppl in our section also gave her a stand O.

Johnny, his skating much more appealling in person than from TV. I diddnt' see his edge quality (the stroking) as smooth from TV.

Kimmy, looked much better than from TV.

Sasha, falled on Sal but her outside edge spiral (or was it inabau) connect to challote was gorges. She did inabau and rusian splits as well. But I don't remember which in program which not. She landed another Sal in finale session as well.

Irina, 3loop and Bielmman spin.

Pan/Tong, huge throw loop but landed double footed. Huge twist.

TT/MM, very very smooth.

A/P, great dancers. Their program still reflect the OJS requirements. Very fluid and flow on ice, REAL ice dance.

Ukrian Dance team (sorry their name escaped from me at the moment), compare to A/P their number reflected NJS, difficult but very choppy, don't feel much flow in it.

B/A, they skated to one of their competetion program (FD) I believe? Although its CoP friendly, but they made it fluid and and flow on ice, especially one serials of their lifts, all the transitions done seamlessly. So smooth.
B/A, the same program as they did in competetion?

The most fun numbers are the DanHaulander and Acrobatic number. I kept laughing all through their programs.

The show was really great. When skaters make the last lap, my friend told me rush to the board (we had great seat, the row 6, so it was not too much rush), I saw MK passing along, I just yelled "Michelle, we love you". She looked startled at first, then she waved to us. (It was so unlike me, had my hubby with me I would never do that. But tody I decided to get lose with my good friends on side. We were screaming all along, especially when Michelle came out. lol). We had a great time.

(off to read Heather's review)

Pauline
April 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
It's official...Kwantinental Arena HAHAHA!! I love the sound of that -- thanks graciesfriend!! :D

What a treat it was to see everyone today and Her Majesty the Kween of course!! Kim, Sarah, Liz, Barb, Barb, Googoo, Gold Blossom, Valentine, graciesfriend, Karen, pookybear, liv, oh gosh I have a feeling I'm missing people. :o And it was so nice to meet Susan, debbwin (thanks so much for the Spartacus card!! :angel ), and TP63!! Ah I love MKF!! GK and Dell -- sorry I missed you!! Dell -- hope you are okay. :(

This was my third trip to COI--NJ. I also went in 2002 and 2004. Though row 13 isn't that great, it was my best seat of the three times so that was good. I thought everyone was pretty good, but Michelle was just too Kwanbelievable that she deserves a special mention. What a smile, what a beauty, what a presence, what an artist. She captures you right from the start, and it is wonderful. The crowd loves her -- of course! Beautiful dress, GORGEOUS program (I still can't get over that it's self-choreographed!!! :D Can she ever stop impressing us with new things?! :lol I love this girl so much!!), oh wow I could gush on and on. I hate myself for trying to get so many pics of her (especially when most came out blurry anyway :rolleyes ) that I missed a lot of her program, same thing last year with YRMU. *sigh* I guess I must content myself by waiting til Skate America exhibitions -- I'm counting on two things though...that she'll be there and that I'll be there. :lol

Oh and in the opening and closing, she is just so darn cute!! So happy, so smiley, and just having a blast!! And wow -- those 4 double axels. Enough said. :eek

Even though my pics aren't great, they're better than they have been in the past so that makes me happier. (By the way, if you zoom like 100x, they're actually really good!! :p And I got a pic of MK's spiral as she came towards me!!) I will update with a picture link ASAP if anyone wants to see my "just-okay" pics haha!!

Oh and since people have been reporting celeb sightings from the various locations, I guess I'll report today's. We saw Maya Usova, Oksana Baiul, Shae-lynn Bourne, Nikolai Morozov (he is mighty good looking, I must add!! ;) ), umm I forget who else. Oh Jenny Kirk's sister was there too.

And ahhhh Heather -- thanks so much for that lovely report!! I am SO happy for you -- what a day you had. You deserve it!! I kept squealing when I was reading your backstage report haha!! Good for you, and may you never have to leave Kloud Kwan!! (I'm there right now, and I didn't even get to meet the Kween haha!!)

I LOVE MICHELLE SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel

mk2006fan
April 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Any MKFers going to that one? I am... would love to meet some of you :)