PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents...

Sugster1
November 15th, 2001, 01:45 PM
I am a devoted fan of Michelle and want only the best for her. I think we are in a way punishing her for being so good for so long in putting so much pressure on her to change and be "perfect." However, the thing we love so much about Michelle and her skating is her ability to move us emotionally. We want so much for her to make us cry the way she did in the nationals before the Olympics and many other times. When she doesn't deliver a moving performance we feel disappointed. Not necessarily in her, but for her, and selfishly, for ourselves because we didn't get that emotional rush. We have to remember how difficult what she does is and that she is human. There is incredible pressure on her. I think she felt like she had to show she was trying to make a change for the judges and for her critics. I have faith that she has a plan in her split with her coach. And I think it is important to work with different choreographers to bring out different nuances in your skating and personality. Having said all that now I'm going to play devils advocate and be a critic for a moment. Not to put her down, I just want the best for her. I am a musician and a former dancer and I know the importance of music. When music moves you, it drives you and your movement comes from within and becomes an extension of the music. I don't think Sche. was edited well and the music does not have enough emotional impact in the right places. It's not moving her, and it's not moving us. I love Sara Kawahara's choreography normally but this was just not it for an Olympic winning program. Especially if she was going for new. It was much improved the second time I saw it and I applaud her for going for the new jump combinations. Everyone has to start somewhere. I would simply like to see new positions and spins. Like a beautiful forward inside camel or improvement on her layback position. Her sister Karen had a beautiful layback in her Disney special. I would also like to see her draw choreography from the dance world. And we all need that emotional impact she can deliver. It's like a drug we have to have. Normally we don't push our skaters to develop new styles until they are professional. But Michelle is special. And like I said we are punishing her for being so good for so long. I don't know that she has time to create a new LP. This one could continue to grow. But I would love to see her wow us with a new LP. We as fans just have to have faith in her judgement and hope for the best. I don't think there is anything wrong with constructive criticism but I don't think we should crush the spirit of a champion. An Olympic gold would be a wonderful crown to her career and we desperately want that for her because no other skater deserves it more. If she doesn't get it, it will not diminish what she has done for the sport and the person she is.
What do y'all think?

Chrissy
December 16th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Michelle has been my favorite skater for many, many years. Firing her choreographer and coach was a shocker and I still think something is very wrong here. Maybe she needed a break, but heading for the Olympics I hope she comes to her senses. Well, Angela has asked Frank to coach her so I wonder if the doors are closed now as far as guidance from Frank for the Olympics. What do you think? BTW, her long program this year is my least favorite.

Kabooke
December 23rd, 2001, 03:43 AM
What in the heck does Michelle know about her own life!
Ofcourse, everyone here know what is best for Michelle, not her. So, why don't we all just go to SoCal and kidnap Michelle and make her do what we think she needs to do.:D :rolleyes

etxny82
February 21st, 2002, 07:56 PM
hehe, kidnap Michelle. . . LoL. I think that will scare her and she won't be skating for us fans anymore. Love ya Michelle!