PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good idea for Michelle to attend college?

Mousee17
October 29th, 1999, 11:02 AM
I was just reading the review from the first day of Skate America, and I'm wondering...Was it wise for Michelle to go to school full-time and skate full-time? Isn't she going to run herself ragged? From the article, Michelle is very tired, and very impatient. I'm sorry if I'm spoling anything for anybody. Did Michelle make the right decision? Will Michelle eventually have to choose?

lavender
October 29th, 1999, 11:27 AM
I was wondering about that and it worries me a little but try not to worry. I think everything will balance out eventually.We know that she can't win them all. I just want her to win them all to shut critics up and to prove that school and skating has a balance.

kwanette
October 29th, 1999, 12:06 PM
Only Michelle will know if it was the right one. Had she not gone, she could have trained like hell, won everything between now and SLC, and then lost to nerves, skate order or youthful exuberence in 2002. Michelle, herself, said that "life holds no guarantees." I give her credit for trying; perhaps she'll make some adjustments as she goes along...

dreamr
October 29th, 1999, 12:41 PM
I am getting really nervous about this now! Ahhh I wish she hadn't gone to school! But that is a selfish thought and like Michelle has said before skating is tiny in the whole scheme of things. I just hope she is happy with the decsions she makes.

Deetlebug
October 29th, 1999, 12:43 PM
In the long run...YES. For the immediate present, maybe not. But if anyone can juggle these two activities and come out on top, Michelle will be the one do it. She may struggle a bit early this season, or even throughout the entire season. But we have seen many times from Michelle that that which does not break her makes her even better. So to those who are worried...don't be. We might not see her win EVERY competition like we'd all like to see, but watch out next year when she's got it all figured out. She will be unstoppable by the 2002 Olympics!! Goooooo Michelle!!!

DianeO
October 29th, 1999, 12:45 PM
I think it is very good for Michelle to be in college now. First of all, it's what she wants. She is probably still getting used to living in the dorms and her new training/class schedule. And these next two weeks, she will go right from Skate America into Skate Canada, but after that she doesn't have any more competitions until Nationals (correct me if I'm wrong there). So, I think these next few weeks especially will be very tiring for Michelle. But, once she gets settled and used to her new routine, I think it will all work out for her :) I don't think she would have made the decision if she didn't know what she was getting into and didn't think she could handle it.

3axel
October 29th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Yes, I think it was a good idea to start college. Even though she must be very tired, it's a great opportunity for her to actually experience life outside of skating and grow as a person. School is not just books and midterms. It's a sort of training in itself in self-discipline, prioritizing, organizing, people-skills, competing, creating, learning from other great minds. Belonging to an institution where there are limitless ways to express yourself intellectually and creatively can only help Michelle be an even better, wiser competitor as a skater with discipline coming not only from a skating world's need-to-get-triple-flip-into-my-short-program-to-impress-the-judges perspective, but from a deeper, meaningful inner strength she's gaining through different experiences in college.

eilaram
October 29th, 1999, 02:37 PM
I believe it is a very good idea for Michelle as a person. Her life is becoming more balanced. She is learning valuable things in the classroom and out of the classroom. I have always admired athletes who pursue thier education. (She might sustain a career ending injury: who knows? It is best to be prepared for the future.) For Michelle the consistent figure-skater who has a lot of people that cheer for her and want her to skate wonderfully and win everything I am not quite sure if it is a good idea or a bad idea. But I am glad that she picked what was best for her as a person rather than what was some think is best for her career.

Karin
October 29th, 1999, 02:47 PM
MK has made an excellent choice!!!... going to college may LOOK like it's posing risk for her skating career!!!...but I'm surely glad she's not an uneducated person!!! Don't let the practice reports throw you off...MK always soars!!! If anything happens...MK is still a hero... kids should look up to her and say...oh I can play sports, enjoy myself...and study!!!

Joshua
October 29th, 1999, 03:09 PM
Do you mean at all? Of course. There's nothing like a good education. Do you mean right now? I believe so. Hey, Michelle's training time maybe cut, but think about what she's gaining at the same time. It gives her more to live for than skating, and she's learning much more. Would you rather start out as a younger or older college student? I choose the former and so does MK.

april
October 29th, 1999, 03:17 PM
But I think it's the right choice for the same reasons others have pointed out. She will grow more as a person and as a skater. Michelle is still at that stage where she's trying to balance skating and college. I think she just needs time to adjust.

taf2
October 29th, 1999, 04:39 PM
I think it was a good decision to go to college now. I'll bet Michelle was kind of bored last year. I took a year off between high school & college & it was kind of a static year for me-there was nothing really challenging going on. I was too young (17) & too inexperienced to get a decent job-not Michelle's problem, but after years of juggling school work & practice with comps, having nothing to do but get ready for pro-ams must have seemed like life was on hold or something. Michelle was probably worn out after the Olympics & thought she wanted to take time off, but I bet after a month or two she was sorry not to be in the Grand Prix circuit. Also, I would be surprised if she's still in the dorm next year. Dorm life gets old real fast-it's good for meeting people & getting in the swing of college, but after awhile, she'll probably be ready for a quiet apartment with one or two roommates. With a light schedule & a quiet place to live & study, I think she'll do fine.

Karin
October 29th, 1999, 04:47 PM
MK was in a way... deprived of a "normal" childhood...note: please neglect the proper meaning of normal for now!!! MK wants to be normal!!! MK wants to go to school...walk to class...share a floor bathroom and shower...

Googoo
October 29th, 1999, 05:49 PM
I think it's a great idea. Michelle has to get used to the routine of being in college. Then everything will be smooth sailing! It's always really hectic and scary in the beginning...