PDA

View Full Version : I am so tired of.....

dpierce
January 31st, 2000, 11:50 AM
people making the comments that Michelle needs to choose school or skating. She is obvioulsy an intelligent women capable of making her own decisions. i agree that her skating might suffer because of her limited time....but so what if she doesnt when every comp. Michelle is just thinking about her future after skating...there is one ya know! I know that some people have said that she could attend school later. Being a 19 year old college student now i understand her views of going while she is still young and can get the entire experience. i have older friends earning there degree right now and they tell me how hard it is. All i have to say is Michelle go for anything you want. Decide what is important and do it. Ill support you no matter what. Sorry for the rant ....i was going through older posts and really got irritated with how much school effecting her skating was mentioned.

sw10025
January 31st, 2000, 03:06 PM
I agree with you. I'd rather Michelle do whatever makes her happy (hopefully, that will include eligible skating), even if it means losing some gold medals, which it doesn't necessarily.

tteller
January 31st, 2000, 03:20 PM
I agree. Let Michelle decide what's best for her.

NicoleM
January 31st, 2000, 05:37 PM
I agree with all of you. I'm sure it's a difficult choice for Michelle, and I'm proud of her that she is doing what she feels is best for her overall, not just for her skating. She has devoted so much of her life to skating, and she should be able to follow her dreams outside of the sport. Whether it affects her ability to win competitions is a factor I'm sure she had considered. Michelle should not be expected to be perfect 100% of the time in everything she does. If she doesn't win every competition, that doesn't necessarily mean she should just drop school. I agree with her father that something's gotta give, meaning she isn't going to skate perfectly all the time, and she probably won't ace every test at UCLA. All anyone can ask of her is to try her best, which she always does. If she feels overwhelmed and thinks she needs to choose, that's her business. Otherwise, she should be left alone to pursue whatever interests she has, both in and outside of skating. Paul Wylie, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tonia Kwiatkowski all earned college degrees during their eligible careers. If a skater feels that their education is too important to put off, they shouldn't be criticized for dedicating themselves to their academics as well as their skating. To me, this makes them role models.

vive_la_reine
January 31st, 2000, 08:37 PM
Nothing to add other than I agree totally with the this post. Michelle is a fabulous figure skater--the best. But there is so much more to her than just that. I wish her luck and happiness in all of her endeavors. Thanks for the post.

Beth2000
February 1st, 2000, 03:09 PM
I agree with all of y'all! I am proud of MK for going to college. If she decides to stop skating(Heaven forbid) then she will have something to fall back on and that is very important. I think alot of skaters should go to college or even get a degree b/c they can't keep skating forever all though I wished they could but there comes a time in life when they need and must move on.

Rene
February 1st, 2000, 03:22 PM
you're right, it is silly that people say Michelle should choose school or skating. But I don't think you should let it upset you if people discuss whether or not school has had an impact on her skating. I think it's a valid discussion. I know I think it has(just the time factor,really) but I don't think she made the wrong decision or that she should choose. She seems to be thriving to me(just maybe a little tired). Her routine that she's had most of her life is different, it's got to have an impact. It doesn't mean it's not positive.

barang
February 1st, 2000, 03:25 PM
totally agree. michelle knows what she want and i know whatever her heart say, she will follow it. after all, she will not do anything where her heart is not. if anybody read her winning attitude book, you'll know what i mean.

littlepebbles1
February 3rd, 2000, 05:40 AM
Even if Michelle quit school, it's no guarantee that it will be gold medals all the way. I think it's ridiculous that everyone was praising her for successfully combining school and skating. Then she gets a silver medal in a competition (while winning 2/3 of it to boot) and suddenly she should do nothing except skate?! I could see some people's point if she had come in dead last (no offense to Volchkova) while barely ekeing out doubles and then collapsed from exhaustion afterward. I mean, anybody else (including the winner) would have been praised if they had skated those performances, IMHO. Dropping out of school won't guarantee that Michelle wins the 2002 Olympics and suddenly goes out and starts landing 3axel/3toe and quads. She did nothing but skate last year and she didn't win Worlds. Yes, she was sick but she could be sick in 2002 also. Look at Tonia Kwiatkowski. Some people say she could have gone to the Olympics if she hadn't gone to school. But she could have done nothing but skate and still not made it to the Olympics. What is better, no Olympics and no education or no Olympics and 2 degrees? I'll take the 2 degrees. I read in an article that Michelle was bored to tears last year with nothing to think about except her triple lutz. Suppose all she did was skate? Anything could happen, she could burn out or get injured to the point of not being able to skate anymore from trying to do a 4lutz combination. She could just get so bored that she just started hating to skate and decide all the gold medals in the worlds aren't worth it and up and quit. Think about something you really like to do. Then imagine that it was the only thing in your life. Wouldn't you be bored to death doing nothing except that day in and day out? Michelle strikes me as someone who needs exactly what college provides to stimulate her brain. I could imagine cobwebs growing on her brain doing nothing but skating. If anyone is still reading by now, I apologize for boring you, but I feel very strongly about education in relation to something as fickle as sports, especially figure skating.

Teddy99
February 3rd, 2000, 05:58 AM
Hey littlepebbs! how you been? I couldn't agree more with you and everyone else...Michelle IS doing the right thing, and I'm so proud of her! Teddy99 keeper of the title "Michelle Kwan #1 Skater of the Decade!"

Dave
February 3rd, 2000, 08:47 AM
And,

Dave
February 3rd, 2000, 08:50 AM
I don't know what happened up there, it was supposed to say: And wasn't this supposed to be an experimental year? Let her complete the experiment and then decide what to do going into 2002.

Crazyglue
February 3rd, 2000, 09:08 AM
I was watching the Japan Open yesterday night, and I remember her saying that.. she CAN do both.. she even joked about how people should have believed in her... Honestly, I feel that so far, she has done an AMAZING job with school and skating... She has an A- average in UCLA and also, she's winning a LOT of competitions!! I don't think it's easy to get A's in school.. imagine doing that WHILE competing on the professional level!! On top of that, she's able to MEDAL!! How can anyone say she has to choose??? We need to keep in mind that Michelle is STILL a teenager.. 19.. but still.. she NEEDS to socialize and learn other things.. she's enjoying herself... I think those who say she can't handle both should really look at her success so far and think twice before making statements such as, 'Michelle should choose one or another.'... Michelle should be proud of herself.. just like we are all so proud of her...

dreamr
February 3rd, 2000, 10:15 AM
Crazyglue how do you know that Michelle has an A- average in UCLA? Did she say that at the Japan open? Just curious because my best friend who had never gotton anything lower than a A in high school and had a 4.6 grade point average when she graduated, got a 2.75 at UCLA!!!! She said it was extremely difficult! For Michelle to have gotton an A- average is really really good! Go MK!

Dave
February 3rd, 2000, 12:34 PM
I'm sure it is possible that the broadcast I saw was different, but in what I watched last night they said "Michelle even managed to get an A- in one of her classes", which wouldn't constitute an average, but again maybe the broadcast was different, either way, kudos to Michelle for such achievements.

littlepebbles1
February 5th, 2000, 01:42 PM
I haven't been able to log in on the CBS forum for ages though, because the FPP is holding me hostage and I have to be content to lurk. Maybe when I get a new computer I'll be able to sneak in. To be honest, with all the doo doo hitting the fan right now, I'm kind of glad I can't log in. I don't want to be caught in the cross fire! LOL

Rene
February 5th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Michelle said she was "bored to tears"????? Is that true?

Beth2000
February 5th, 2000, 05:28 PM
Bored to tears with what? I like what Michelle is doing. You have to remember that she has had nothing but tutor's her whole time in school and she wants the experience to be with kids her own age and the whole college experience. Michelle has every right to brag about being able to do school and skating. Way to go MK! You go girl, and have fun while you are doing it.

IzzyS
February 5th, 2000, 05:31 PM
ITA with everything being said here about Michelle's education. Without school, all she has to think about is training, competing, endorsements, training, competing, endorsements, training... She deserves a chance to get an education and to hang out with friends her own age, "party a little," (her words, not mine), and do all the things that we all got to do at her age. I don't think her skating has been affected at all, and if it has I think it's for the better, since IMO she seems happier than ever these days. I always think back to the Debi Thomas/Katarina Witt showdown at the 1988 Olympics. Debi was a student at Stanford, and when she earned a disappointing bronze medal in Calgary, she said to her coach, "Well, back to school," or something like that. While some may say she would have won if she hadn't tried to balance college with skating, IMO it's a good thing she had school to return to, since she could have skated a flawed performance and had nothing left. Now fast forward to 2000, Debi is a doctor (!) and Katarina is way past her prime in skating. I'm sure Debi is glad that she chose to get an education along with skating. What I'm saying is, we all want Michelle to skate on and on forever, but it's not realistic, and I for one would be thrilled if 10 or 12 years from now she's a skating doctor or a skating lawyer or a skating school teacher or whatever. I'd be even more proud than I am now to be a MK fan. That's my take on the story. In all fairness, I should add that I work at a university, so my opinion's a little biased.

barang
February 5th, 2000, 05:57 PM
well said, there is no subtitute when it comes to education. look at me for example, my grammar are so bad that if i want to write a letter to an important person, i will be laugh at. this gives me an oppurtunity to reasses my life. continue my education.

barang
February 5th, 2000, 05:58 PM
not to mention my spellings.

littlepebbles1
February 5th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Sorry, "bored to tears" was my words, not Michelle's. But it was the general meaning, she did say she was quite bored and that there was a lot of "What about my triple lutz/[something related to skating]?" when she wasn't skating because she had nothing else to do.

SJB
February 6th, 2000, 06:04 AM
I also agree with the sentiments expressed here. And, izzyS., I agree with you in that I do not think that being in college is the reason that Debi Thomas did not get gold at the Olympics or Worlds (that year). That Katarina Witt is such a ferocious, strong competitor is the reason. I think that the outcome would have been the same, school or no school.

Rene
February 6th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Personally, I think if Debi hadn't had a HUGE MELTDOWN she would have deserved the Gold medal. Her program was ALOT more difficult and interesting than Witt's. Of course, judges being judges.....