PDA

View Full Version : What I learned at Worlds, Baby!

epoibim
March 31st, 2003, 10:41 AM
-the nicest people are at MKF. Not an axe murderer or an imprisioned psycho among you.

-Not a lot of people "get" figure skating, but every single person excpet one that I talked in D.C this week (and I'm talking random people) knew who Michelle Kwan is.

-Yoshie and Elena stopped at CVS and 7-Eleven respectively, we were at both places getting papers. Yoshie was in the candy aisle:lol

-Karen Kwan is as sweet as her sister, and is clearly more patient and accepting than anyone. Bless her for not changing her room, she gave us the thrill of a lifetime. (We did send her a thank-you):)

-That reminds me, from now on, Kristen ALWAYS chooses the hotel! Appaerntly she and Karen have the same taste:lol I'll never get over that...right next door! Picture the three krazies playing "Dick and Peggy" to Aranjuez at 11pm...Poor Karen.

-Buttercup and sweet baby Charlotte...my favorite story of the week. Yes I was the "Deep Throat" who saw it all and spilled to Leon. I was volunteering at the skaters entrance and just as Michelle left, Buttercup with chubby-bubby-cutie-face in the Snugli rounded the corner. Buttercup stopped short, like someone pushed her over and said "Oh my gosh, Michelle!" and they talked for almost 5 minutes. I could only see this from inside, but to see Michelle bending over to coo at baby Charlotte (and I KNOW she told her where her name came from, because I saw Michelle throw her head back and laugh!) was priceless. Charlotte seemed to know her namesake and was so grinningly cooingly baby deliciously happy. They posed for a picture and Michelle touched her head and Buttercup made her wave "Hi, Michelle!" Michelle was so thrilled that Charlottle laughed at her!

-Tatiana has power. They hired a cruiser to get her from sasha's practice to the MCI Center for her dance team. It put the lights on. she got such a thrill from that.

-Michelle is the most gorgeous person on the planet. period.

-Michelle's mom is sweet as anything and is obviuosly not thrown by obsessive Michelle fans. Always a good thing;) I asked her "for the honor to shake the hand of Michelle's mom" she laughed and said "Yes, but it's very cold!":lol

-I'm never going to a city again without Kwansong999. If it wasn't for her, I'd have been lost in a gutter somewhere, probably still in fetal position and humming Aranjuez.

-the people at the MCI Center were not happy with us moving.
Did we care? No.

-No one is awake at 4 am. Trust me. Don't take 5am volunteer shifts:x .

-Volunteering is way, way cool.

-Half your brain goes to your toes when you meet Michelle. Bring notes. You are not responsible for what comes out of your mouth at that moment.

-My friends for life. Aggie, Kristen (who I had already met), Cole, Heather, gotspeedyfingers, kwanette, taf, belladella, norma, leon, schez, snowbird, Jayne, kim...EVERYONE whose name escapes me, but it felt like a family reunion at that dinner. After the lp, we hugged and cried and cheered all together, it was delicious. It felt like we had known each other forever.

-davesato is a giant goober. Don't take anything he says seriuosly again, I never will! I'll always picture that smiling teddy bear from Worlds, Baby. Epoibim likes Davesato.:)

-that reminds me, I think I need to change my username! its hard for people to pronouce, as it is not a word! it was hysterical having people coming up to me and hearing their pronounciations of "epoibim" which is nothing more than a little ditty I made up comiling my initials and "I Believe In Miracles"

-Scott Williams is way cute in person. He's tan too. I wonder where he was. 8)

-I could listen to Aranjuez forever

-I want to be at every Michelle event for as long as she is skating. I have no money, people who know me know this. I am just a chick putting herself through a state college...and who is getting a second job for "MK expenses" Soooo worth it. They talk about feeding your body, this is feeling your soul.

-Sarah and Robin have the exact same hair color.

-All of the Hughes children have EXACTLY the same face.

-Apparently, Michelle sold Sarah her Rachmaninoff dress and taught her how to put her hair in a bun.

-I had the time of my life. Absolutely, the time of my life.

ITeach2
March 31st, 2003, 10:51 AM
Oh, how wonderful for you. I'm so glad you had a great time. I just wish I could have been there, too. Thanks for the write-up!!

snowbird
March 31st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Hysterical! There's really a baby named Charlotte after the move? Oh my, we are all obsessed.

JamesG
March 31st, 2003, 11:00 AM
I LOVE THE MKF.

Thanks for sharing her experience with us.

It is amazing how much we all love Michelle and her family. I believe Michelle brings it out of us.

Thanks, again!

DaveSato
March 31st, 2003, 11:06 AM
EPOIBIM,
Goober??? You mean a peanut? I'm much bigger than a peanut. I'm more like a walnut. LOL

She's only saying that because I said she looks like a blend of Winona Ryder, Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon.

You should take what I say seriously, but realize i'm not saying it to disparage Michelle. My comments about amateurism and all the other yada yada yada that i've said is very real, but you have to realize i'm not bashing Michelle. It's a discussion that covers both sides and sometimes it's difficult to accept the other side when it's not favorable for Michelle.

By the way, we did keep the conversations about Amateurism to a very minimum. I think I said more about the Blue Dress (Practice at the CC) than Amateurism.

Now that you explained your username, I won't keep thinking you are a hair remover (Epilady) or something like that. :)

Buttercup
March 31st, 2003, 11:08 AM
Needless to say, I was shocked to find out that others from the Forum knew about the encounter because, had one of you actually witnessed that, you would have for sure been right there with me joining in on the fun! It was an absolutely wonderful encounter, one that I promise to share in full as soon as I get a good chance to sit down and write! I was so shocked by the whole thing that I feel like I don't remember everything that happened, so if you could help me with the little details, that would be great! Alas, my kids demand attention (Charlotte has a 3-year old big brother named Bradley - and no, he's not named after Michelle's Brad...they weren't even a couple when he was born!)! Be back to post before too long!

skatesindreams
March 31st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Thank you, Erin! I kmow it was an experience that you'll never forget!

Buttercup posted about the 'charlotte' connection after Charlotte was born.

Buttercup, looking forward to your post!

Kimmie10
March 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM
Aw, that's awesome Erin! I just finished reading what you wrote in your other thread and now this and am drying away a few more tears that I guess I didn't get out Saturday night. Thank you SO much for sharing everything. I think I am going to have to meet you one day. You Rach girl! :)

Oh, and just for you...;)
Actually, the Kiss and Cry Zone isn't quite right. A more accurate name would be the Kiss and Cry and Squirm and Have an Anxiety Attack in Full View of the Entire World During the Most Stressful Moment of Your Entire Life and God, Oh God, Oh, Please God, Let My Marks Be Good and Please Don't Let the Fat Cow Ukrainian Judge Be a Complete Communist Hag AND WILL YOU GET THAT FRIGGIN' CAMERA OUT OF MY FACE AND LEAVE ME IN PEACE, YOU DAMN VULTURES!!! Zone.

justsk8
March 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM
Oh Erin, and everyone else that was there, it was so great...I will be posting my review as soon as I can, but I go soooo behind in all my work being gone at Worlds! I am so mad at Michelle!! Can you belive she would make me get so behind? :D ;) lol

Still LOLing about the Rach/bun comment Erin! Now one question about the "Hughes children"- were they all there?

Worlds was such an amazing experience...I can't even put it into words...just like Michelle and her skating...:)

GMAN
March 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks so much Erin for the great review!! I'm so glad you had the time of your life! Sounds like it!!! One day, before I'm 80, I hope to attend Worlds one day as a spectator!(Maybe even a competitor!;) )

Tarynn@Elissa'smom
March 31st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Erin, that was just great reading all that! Thank you so much
for getting it all down perfectly. I am printing out all the
reports from the lucky ones who were there to witness the
Miracle of Michelle in person. I am putting them all in a
scrapbook with articles to I can remember this time in history
forever.
My husband and I have decided to name our next daughter
Michelle!

Valerie
March 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing! Loved reading them. :)

lasaslav
March 31st, 2003, 01:42 PM
This was great reading! I LOL several times. And, Buttercup, we've never met, but I think it's just great that you named your baby after one of MK's greatest moves. Notice now how she's taken it out of her programs (more or less) since so many others have started to copy her!

Anyway, congrats on actually getting to meet MK. That would be an absolute dream come true.

Michibanana
March 31st, 2003, 02:19 PM
epoibim,

I've been loving all the Worlds reports, but yours is absolutely my favorite so far. You are so lucky! Thanks for letting all of us who weren't so fortunate live vicariously through you :D . I loved every single detail you shared, and I loved the way you wrote it!

Buttercup, I would be burning up with jealousy if I weren't so happy for you ;) ! The kind of interaction it sounds like you had with MK is something I've been dreaming of since I was twelve years old. With all the demands on her time, five whole minutes of talking to our girl! Wow!

gotspeedyfingers
March 31st, 2003, 03:41 PM
The feeling is mutual, epoibim!! I so wish you lived closer to me, but I guess you will have to be my first on-line pen-pal. Special people like us (those of us who never forget ;) ) have to stick together. Glad you liked my pin, and I am so happy to have met you. What a treat you are. :)

katsk8
March 31st, 2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for making the experience come alive for those of us who couldn't be there. I read your other report too; that's so awesome you got to meet MK. Even through the tv, the electricity came through the screen. I can only imagine what it was like.

KeithB
March 31st, 2003, 05:00 PM
Erin,

It is a real pleasure to read your messages and to relive the joy of Saturday. The enthusiasm that you, Davesato, and all the others brought to the dinner table provided a marvelous prelude to the thrills that were yet to come.

Following is a copy of the letter I wrote to Michelle which moved her to send me an autographed postcard which arrived on the eve of my birthday a few months later. I mentioned it at the dinner table and I believe you said that you are a violinist. You should enjoy my musical angle.

May 4, 1998

Dear Michelle,

“It is here that words most ingloriously fail, and reverent silence should be the only comment. The human tongue knows no speech to encompass in words this expression, this outpouring of passion and of exaltation, this magical evocation of power and beauty.”

Such were the words of Charles O’Connell, a distinguished musician, music scholar and promoter of recorded music, in response to the magnificent finale of the great First Symphony of Johannes Brahms. Having played that symphony with a local orchestra and listened to some breathtaking performances of it, I understand what Mr. O’Connell meant. I find these words to be equally appropriate in response to your performances this season, in both competitive and exhibition events.

Of course I have plenty of words of praise after having time to think about it. As a professional musician I recognize the wonderful attention to artistic detail you have brought to the creation of your programs. Your choices of music, the timing of all of the visual elements, and seamless blending of the technical elements with expressive face and body language made breathtaking displays of passionate presentation. That, along with your gracious conduct on and off the ice, makes you a champion in every sense of the word. I wish you the best as you pursue your academic and skating aspirations during the coming years. I am really looking forward to seeing your Disney specials, as well as your quest for more Olympic glory at Salt Lake City.

It was a great honor that you were chosen to present the Olympic jacket to President Clinton at the White House. You make me proud to be a fellow American.

You can see a copy of that postcard that is in my rudimentary web site, along with some other photos of Michelle.

mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id2.html (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3kfxr/id2.html)

My only regret is that I did not spend more time downtown to try to meet Michelle in person. It would have been easy since I am only a few miles away.

Sharon
March 31st, 2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks again Erin :) ! Really liked the tidbits. Congrats Buttercup on your Michelle encounter :) ! Nice letter Keith :) !

kwansong99
April 1st, 2003, 07:17 PM
Erin, I just cant stop :rollin :rollin :rollin and crying at the same time. My roommate must be really scared right now!! Since I got back, my roommate thinks ive gone nuts!

Things Ive learned:
-From now on, Kristen will always pick the hotels!

-Always be prepared to run for good seats so the annoying ushers dont catch you!

-I am going to all competitions i can get to that MK will compete in. Its just such a thrill!

-Ive GOT to learn how to pack lighter!:\ |I

-I need a digital camera!

-Never bring work to do at a competition. It wont get done.:\

-Always check who is staying next door before you blast Aranjuez on your laptop. SORRY KAREN! :rollin

-Only for Michelle will i leave my hotel w/o makeup or contacts and my hair not done.

-Flirt with cops. You can get some good seats. ;)

-MKF is the best place on the web, and soon if you dont visit it, you go through withdrawal.

-Michelle just isnt human.

-All this time, I thought i never had any older siblings, and this worlds i found 3.

-Making banners is the best way to spend a friday night.

-Meeting MKFers definately makes any competition 1000 better! I will never forget any of you!

Sheekah1
April 2nd, 2003, 05:15 AM
Thanks for sharing Erin glad for the clarification of your username. Kwansongg thanks for your reflections also. It's so great that Michelle can bring so many people together.

epoibim
April 2nd, 2003, 05:45 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWW! Aggie girl! Thats so sweet! I love yours...lol at Kristen always picking the hotel!

We were always wary about the elevator too. It seemed like my stomach flipped every time we got on "just in case";)

OH! I also learned that I am allergic to that sauce on Subway's veggie sandwich!:lol That was a fun night!:lol

Some more I remembered:

-Aggie takes *about* 2 and a half hours in the bathroom to get ready. Always make her wake up early to go first.:D :p

-I'm sure MK appreciated the signs that resulted from your naked-faced jaunt to CVS saturday morning:lol You looked FINE! I would've gone, but your pj's looked much less pajama-y than mine did.:lol

-I'll never forget that other *ahem* encounter shall we say in the elevator? How weird was that?! That hotel had some funky parties...

-always flirt with the cops "Tara/Sarah" and wear your credential if you have one. Then people just assume you are where you are supposed to be.:p

-Michelle comes with her own Sharpie! I had one all ready for her...but one just popped out of her hand, like a go-go-gadget pen or something.:lol